“There's a reason why this hotel is rated so low”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Panorama Hotel

Panorama Hotel
Ranked #183 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Canberra, Australia
“There's a reason why this hotel is rated so low”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a tour group of 18 people which may be why it was selected because there are so many other (and better) accommodation options in Ubud.

While the bedrooms are very large, the bathrooms leave a lot to be desired and look like they need significant renovation. Holes in the bathroom floor, holes in the bath etc.

Six people from our group asked to be moved to different rooms the rooms they were originally assigned were that bad. Dirt on the sheets, holes in the bath, air conditioning smoking and not working...

I ate in the restaurant and there were ants on the floor because food had been dropped by a previous customer and it hadn't been cleaned up.

On the good side the pool at this hotel was really nice and refreshing and the staff were helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the rice fields behind the property are quiet. Also, pay the extra for the deluxe...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank watermelon_23

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Indonesian first
scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I am sorry to say the bad reviews from other travellers are quite true. I just got back home yesterday after a 2 night stay at the Panorama following a great 2 weeks exploring Java and Bali, but what a depressing end to my holiday.
The hotel is in a reasonable location and it's quite easy to walk out and find several amenities close by (money exchange/restaurants/bars/minimarket etc) so no complaints there.
I was not looking to stay in a palace, just somewhere clean with air con but unfortunatly I got neither. The rooms are very big but not kept well at all, very tatty with sparse outdated furniture. Again I'm not worried about that but I do take offence to the dirty sheets, an inch thick layer of dirt and dust on the wardrope, mouldy bed cover, rotten and cracked bathroom which wasn't clean, lack of working air con which meant our room at night was hotter than outside (approx 30 degrees if I were to guess), a door that wasn't secure when locked from the inside, half raw and tasteless breakfast and some of the most miserable staff I have ever encountered.
When we complained about the lack of working air con we were told someone would look at it when we were out for the evening. No one did which meant we had an unbearable hot night with no sleep. We advised reception again in the morning and the male staff member who reported it to the day before took great offence and was quite nasty either shouting at us or giving us the silent treatment. He completely ignored us for the rest of our stay and would walk away when I approached reception for anything. Very rude. After someone decided they either couldn't fix our air con or it was going to cost too much we were moved room for the second night. Many of my friends on the tour I was on were also moved room for one reason or another. The straw that broke the camels back however was the many (approx 2 dozen) flea bites I have from my stay at the Panorama Ubud. Thanks for that !!!

Room Tip: They do have upgraded rooms if you pay extra for them which do have better decor and working air con...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank nic78Scotland

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012

I only stayed here for one night and it was absolutely fine for a short stay. The garden area was beautiful and the pool area was also nice. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was quite nice. The bedroom was clean enough and it was a large room. Would benefit from being updated though. The main thing that let it down was the bathroom which just felt really old and run down as well as in need of a good clean. Also it's not in a brilliant location.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed here as a part of a group tour that I was on. The bathroom here was by far the worst I'd had the entire week. It was thick with mold and the tiles were broken so that they couldn't be cleaned properly even if they tried. There was an open hole in the floor next to the toilet that led to the sewer. The air conditioner didn't work and there wasn't a fan. The sheets felt greasy but at least they weren't stained like at the last place I was. Thank goodness I'd had the forethought to pack a sleeping sack. Breakfast was okay. The staff was okay. When I went out in the morning, I locked the main compartment to my bag as it held my laptop and other things that weren't easily replaced. Left out some other things that weren't irreplaceable and thought everything had been left alone while I was out. Not true. As I was packing to leave, I discovered that the side compartments on my bag had been gone through as whoever went through them didn't zip them up fully after pawing through the pockets to see if anything was there.
The one positive was the free shuttle. The drivers were great. One even parked and went looking for me on foot when he didn't see me at the pick-up spot down by the market.
But all-in-all, not a pleasant place. Very run down, very dirty, can't trust the staff other than the drivers, high prices in the restaurant. Don't stay here if you can help it.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Walnut Creek, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

We booked this room by Agoda. The pictures on the website looked nice, but they must be like 30 years old. The entire hotel looks run down, in desperate need of some redecoration or a wrecking ball maybe... There is no panorama either, the pictures still show a nice panorama of an idyllic ricefield, but nowadays there's is a new hotel just behind Panorama Hotel, blocking the view. So no ricefield panorama here. The room and bed are not dirty, but because of the state it is in, it still feels dirty though, especially the bathroom. Loose tiles, a really old badthub.
Positive about the hotel: location, cheap and friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eiramenna
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Although this hotel has a pretty good location it feels pretty old and run down, the rooms are very big but look old and tired, the pool again needs some work on it, breakfast I would just give it a miss, for the price I think we have found much better hotels in the area, I would even pay a little more and stay somewhere else

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank hotelsavvy007
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

I had to stay here as it was part of the volunteering package but I would never book here myself. There are so many nice homestays around for a lot less. The room was bug but the paint is coming off. Mould in the bathroom and the tub has water stains. The outside isn't much better. There is moss growing on the Walls which makes it look run down. The garden is so nice though and well taken care off. If they did that with the rest of the hotel then it would be far better. I think just a lick of paint would make a world of difference. Oh and it quite far away from town.

• Stayed October 2010