“Spartan and Tired - One to miss if possible”
Review of Panorama Hotel

Panorama Hotel
Ranked #189 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Nearly 24hrs travelling time to get here and to be greeted by this very tired and dated room did not fill me with joy. The lighting was poor, which helped hide the damp patches on the walls and ceilling (although the phallic shape of the damp on the roof was at least amusing) and broken tiles on the floor.
You need to live out of your rucksack / suitcase as there was only a damp wardrobe with no doors. My fiance had taken a couple of dresses (knee length) and these were too log for it. No draws of any type.
There was a fridge in the room and coffee / tea making facilities but the local ants had set up a wonderful colony between the tray and the fridge, which highlights the cleaning of the rooms.
Ok, not all doom and gloom, the bed was clean and comfortable, fresh sheets every day, and the staff are courteous and helpful.
And I think we got away lightly with just a grubby bathroom, when another guest asked to see our bathroom to see if the "black mold in hers was normal".
The sun loungers round the pool were broken, and the light scattering of chlorine granules that were in the pool were losing to the spreading algae, and with only a few broken tiles maybe there is hope for this pool...
All in all, not a place to stay by choice, and best avoided if at all possible.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Merlot_the_Cat

Reviewed 21 August 2010

First impressions were excellent. Prompt, courteous and efficient repliesto emails led me to expect a management well on top of its business, and the airport transfer was waiting as requested when we arrived in Bali. Unforunately things went downhill from there.

The room had had little attention for years; the bathroom was unattractive and dirty. Lighting was so dim that we would have no chance of reading after sun-down. Worse was to come as the electricity "tripped" several times on the first night. When no staff could be found we found ourselves out in the rain fiddling with exterior trip switches in an attempt to get light.

Cleaning and replenishment of water bottles was haphazard. Breakfast was skimpy and service uncertain so we didn't use the restaurant otherwise. Nor, it seemed, did many other residents and the restaurant itself seemed aimed much more at the coach parties for which it provided lunches.

Having said that, the setting is idyllic, the swimming pool clean, the garden well maintained and so the overall feeling was one of frustration. This could have been one of the most attractive hotels of our trip, but the failure to run it well left it as one of least successful of our trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank consettgashead
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Gosh - I must be becoming softer with age! I use to think I could rough it with the best of them, but having checked in with my wife we spent about 10 minutes in the room before deciding to walk up the street to find somewhere else to stay. That's definately a first for us.

The only plus is that the room was quite big, but it was full of bugs, dirty and looked like no one had stayed there in years. Admittedly it was quite late at night when we checked in and retuning in the morning to 'check out' the hotel itself wasn't as bad as I thought and the room even looked slightly better, however I'm glad we made the decision not to stay there. If I was backpacking with a mate I would have put up with it, but do not stay here if you're with anyone you care about! :o)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Hotel with good location, but there were very dirty.
Got assigned a different room, but here was very damp and smelled very ugly at both room and toilet.
Stay not at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Peder_Eg
Reviewed 8 June 2010

thankfully we only booked one night. as soon as we entered the room the smell from the bathroom nearly knocked us back out the door. very much in need of a really good clean or use better products. lighting in main room very dim. pool had algae on steps.
grounds quite nice and staff friendly.
we originally asked for late check out but couldnt wait to get out of the place.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My friend and I stayed at Panorama for the Bali Spirit Festival. Our rooms were large and spacious. The bathroom was large with a bathtub but the shower head was low so you either had to hold up the shower head or shower on your knees. Towels and soap were provided. The lighting wasn't very good but the room at had big windows and a porch with table and chairs. The beds were clean and comfortable. Much better than I had expected. Hotel provided airport pick up and arranged a taxi for take us back for 200 000. The money changer at the hotel gave us the best rate. They also provided us free taxi service to Bali Buddha for dinner one night. The restaurant had a fairly big menu and prices are inexpensive but food quality is only okay. The gardens at the hotel are beautiful, the pool is nice. I didn't have time to try the spa. There are lots of other restaurants, tourist travel shops, money changers and internet cafes nearby. Monkey forest sanctuary is less than 10 minutes way by walking. Staff were friendly and helpful. One day the internet cafe down the street wasn't working so they let me use the computer at reception to check my email.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2009

I suffered a bout of serious illness while staying at the Panorama and it is at times of crisis that you really discover the quality of hotel staff. The staff arranged hospital care, dealt with the authorities for me, visited me in hospital several times per day (even when off-duty), brought tasty food out to the hospital for me and passed messages to/from my family and consulate at all hours. Even the consular officer I was dealing with was astonished by how well I was being cared for.

So quality of staff and service are absolutely 100% at this hotel, and the poolside and garden are extremely well-maintained. I had a huge room for a very affordable price, too.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo