“Hidden gem of Ubud”

Ranked #12 of 542 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Seattle, Washington
“Hidden gem of Ubud”
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Even before I mention anything about Mandala Desa, I want to first begin with the owner - Jacinta! She is professional, committed, resourceful, warm, super sweet and honest. We were offered a pick-up from Sanur by Mandala Desa and were expecting the driver to be there. But to our surprise Jacinta accompanied Ketut (the driver) all the way from Ubud. That was a very nice gesture and instantly made us feel welcomed.

Mandala Desa is located in Sukawati, about 20 mins away from Ubud. We usually love staying in the buzz of the town and but wanted to try out something different. Hence we decided on Mandala Desa. My husband rented a bike and we drove back and forth from Ubud and Sukawati atleast four times a day. At first it I was a little scared about the commute but started loving it soon enough. Driving along the quaint scenic roads made me feel like a true Balinese. We also stopped at the nearby temple in Sukawati to watch the dance rehearsals at night.

Our stay at Mandala Desa was blissful. The villa we stayed in was beautiful, the decor tasteful and the staff was very warm and helpful. We had a outdoor shower and it was an amazing feeling to bathe while hearing the birds chirping away. The patio was surrounded by a pond had lots of fishes in it. My husband and I fed them during breakfast time! Everything about Mandala Desa made us feel peaceful and calm. Highly recommend you to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pallaviumarji

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 January 2013

For my yearly trip to Bali, I like to stay at different places and this time is no different. I always opt for small-family run establishments as I find that their service is more personal than the big-chained hotels. After reading reviews, I settled on Mandala Desa and I'm so happy that I did. The place is charming (minus the flies but that can't be helped and the staff were exceptionally wonderful)

My husband and I had a restful week, as we've covered almost all the tourist spots, this time we opt for a Balinese cooking class run by Cafe Wayan. Jacinta, the manager of Mandala Desa helped us with the booking and we had a great time.

If you want to be away from it all, I highly recommend Mandala Desa. The staff are ever so attentive, we stayed at the Garden view room and it was spacious! I love their huge sunken bath, hot water is plenty and the water pressure is excellent!

Flies are a bit of problem but that's really nothing much that they can do about it and we understand. They were having some wi-fi problem, Jacinta knew how important it was for me to stay connected and she gave me a broadband stick for me to hook to my laptop while they were trying to fix the wi-fi, which they finally managed to solve upon our last 2 days there.

They were having some renovation at one of their villas, so for those who opt to stay at the villa, you will be getting new marbled flooring and I think other new amenities as well. I was at first concerned about the noise from the renovation but there was hardly any noise hence it did not disturbed our stay at all.

Do note that Mandala Desa is situated away from Ubud town, so only stay here if you're okay with being secluded. They do provide transport to Ubud town which is about 20-25 minutes away or so.

We mostly ate in, the spread is good for a small establishment and the pricing is affordable too. We love that they use organic ingredients and the soups were so fresh! I can't get enough of their Balinese tomato soup!

There is of course always room for improvement. We don't mind that there's no satellite tv however the tv that's in our room is pretty outdated. We did suggest that the owners look into upgrading the tv sets to something fairly new with usb ports for guests who bring their collection of movies (like us). They do have a selection of dvds that you can borrow.

I'm not sure if anything can be done about privacy to those staying at the Garden suite because the layout is such that those who wants to go to the pool or to the other 2 villas will have to bypass infront of our room. If they were to plant tall shrubs, that would take away the beautiful rice paddy view. So as mentioned, this situation can't be helped.

All in all, we truly enjoyed being pampered by the staff. We are already missing them, the neighbour's cow which we named "Bessie", the family of goat, the ducks, even the rooster that doesn't seem to stop crowing. We enjoyed watching how the farmers plant their padi, we even talked to them and they patiently explained about the planting process. The people around there are really friendly, always a smile and a hello whenever they see us.

Mandala Desa.....we will be back again and we're always counting down the days. Jacinta and Dhana, you guys run a tight ship and you're so blessed to have an awesome team working for you guys. Till we meet again :)

Ratna and Ali - January, Garden Suite

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trish R
Manila
Reviewed 15 January 2013

Mandala Desa is the best accommodation we've ever been. The private luxury resort has only 4 rooms. Each room is spacious and immaculately clean (they clean it 2 times everyday). I love so much the view fronting our veranda of rice field and mountain, where you can enjoy your Balinese breakfast everyday. They provide complimentary afternoon teas and Balinese cakes that is so addicting. The garden is beautiful and I love the swimming pool. Unfortunately when we went to Bali last christmas season my daughter got sick but Mandala Desa's staff and owner was so kind and attentive to care of all our needs. Their hotel is not at the center of Ubud. But that I guess is the price we pay for having a peaceful and quiet place to stay. I really dont mind because it is situated in village where there are so many artisans. The hotel provides a shuttle so going to and from Ubud is never a problem. We'll definitely go back to Bali and staying one more time at Mandala Desa.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2012

Since the publication of "Eat, Pray, Love," central Ubud has been a bit overrun with single women seeking romance. While that may work in the men's favor, it doesn't exactly help travelers who want to enjoy a relaxed time in one of the world's most lush, green, and glorious towns. Enter the Mandala Desi. Located only ten minutes by free shuttle from Central Ubud, it is an oasis, with an outrageously kind and generous staff. I was in the mood to make an offering at Ubud's Sarasvati temple. For some reason, I had it in my mind that I should offer her garlands made of flowers, and so I (selfishly, insanely) asked one of the hotel employees if he could tell me where to buy some thread. Fifteen minutes later, he returned from town, where he had purchased me a spool and several needles. The pool at the Mandala is ionized, and surrounded by rice paddies, and a market where one can (with a little savvy) buy proper ikat at a proper price. But if you do stay there, one word of advice: splurge on the bungalow, which is separate from the other parts of the hotel, with a stone bridge crossing over a clear running creek -- and the romance that makes any woman -- any human alive -- fall a little prey to the promise of Elizabeth Gilbert.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank AmieMartin
dubai
Reviewed 27 October 2012 via mobile

We happened to pick this based on the good reviews on trip advisor and we we weren't disappointed. If you want a place to stay thats really good value away from the noise and bustle then this is it. Our dinners and breakfast were also really yum prepared by Wayan who prepared a special meal especially for my wife who happens to be a vegetarian.
Overall a great experience with great people offering impeccable service.

• Stayed December 2011
Nijmegen
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This is a special tropical treat, small-scale, located in the shadow of an even originally village, in the region of the beautiful local Balinese handicrafts, overlooking rice fields all day editing. Staring at the nearby forrest, where the Silent Force one unmistakable and palpable present.
A refreshing oiutdoor swimming pool after a hot day, be spoilt by the magical cooking of the kitchenstaff, driven on the island by caring drivers, you drop the one surprise in the other.
Beautiful spacious and cosy apartments, which are cleaned daily. Delicious breakfast included, as well as Wifi. Large choice of varied menu, prepared with daily fresh ingrediants like fruit, vegetables and herbs.....
In short: a place to you to feel at home and you completely to indulge.

Ad and Claire Schreuder

Room Tip: Wil je volledig prive zitten? kies voor een van de villa's wil je juist contact met de andere g...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Arriving very late in Bali, we were picked up and taken to Mandala Desa, where even at 1am, they gave us welcome drinks and snacks and made us feel so at home. The next morning we woke to the most divine view of the rice fields, an amazing property, with lovely pool and gardens. We took a driver arranged by the hotel and visited various temples and the Monkey Forest. Jacinta booked our ferry to the Gili Islands the next day.. and we'd already decided to come back! Which we duly did - choosing to come back to Mandala Desa over going to Sanur. Once again we were taken care of, trips were booked for us, and the welcome and service were outstanding. The hotel is truly authentic and a welcome break in the middle of the countryside.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family