All reviews superior suite rice fields afternoon tea arrange tours coffee machine outdoor shower warm hospitality three nights village life every morning nasi goreng local village visit bali close to nature welcome drink balinese hospitality large room
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Beautiful place tucked away in Sukawati close to the art market. They only have about 5 guest houses so we had a quiet, private time away from the usual touristy crowd. The villas were vintage and had scenic views of the rice fields and a nearby mountain. This place is about half an hours drive to Ubud center, but they provide a free shuttle. We used a motorbike to travel around and were able to find our way back. Taxi's from the centre charge about USD10 to Mandala Desa. We took a trip that Mandala Desa provided to the Kintamani volcano, Terraced rice fields, a few temples and a plantation - This was the highlight of our stay in Bali and we thoroughly enjoyed this. The was one glitch during our stay - there was no water in the bathroom for a whole night and the next morning until 10.00. But this was swiftly resolved by Jacinta after she came to work in about an hours time. Overall we had a great time in Mandala Desa except for the water related problem, but I am sure this was just a one-off incident. Jacinta is a brilliant host and staff were friendly. Overall, we had an excellent holiday.

Food:
Food was average. Morning breakfast was limited to western\Indonesian but they did cater to our vegetarian request. Afternoon tea was nice the first day of our stay with local cakes etc but was disappointing afterwards with just supermarket biscuits.

TIP:
We stayed in Villa 2 as well as Villa 1 but liked villa 2 better. Better views of the rice field due to a shorter wall (or perhaps elevated field?). Villa 2 is bigger and had better interiors. Villa 1 had a very comfortable modern bathroom with a hand shower. Both the villas had an open-air shower area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MRAVCHA
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Jacinta, we missed you and I wanted to write my review for you and wish to tell you that you are one of the best hosts I have met, to date. I am sure that my children feels the same way too. Ollie misses the cute little trike :)

Mandala Desa has a great view of the rice padi and you can see the farmer working everyday, service staff are great , only the food is average. But they provide free transport to ubud so u can always zip down for your meals. Abt half hours drive, pleasant drive unless if u have two or three kids in the car and they decide to do a lot of screaming and shouting together. And I really like the place for the quiet, and they really take care of you well, especially if you have little kids in tow. We felt absolutely safe to leave our kids with Jacinta when when we ran to the market for a coup,e of hours,, and my kids could feed the goats, find cow, hop onto tricycle and trike, feed the fishes, watch the crabs and frogs..Jacinta also provided a great beautiful wooden toddler bed for my girl that she loved so much, she slept in it the whole time, and never tried to squeeze into our bed. ..

I had also a very good massage when I was there. Very clean and well maintained villa, I really like the painting, the horse and Buddha head in my villa. Very few mozzies, lots of fishes and water everywhere, very comfortable beds and had a great rest there. I also recommend the spot as they are nestled in the villages which specialise in different crafts. Best regards, Mindy and family

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank FrSingapore
Reviewed 28 February 2013

I received the warmest and kindest treatment. The hotel only has a few rooms (so you really get personalized attention). The rooms are all very nicely decorated and comfortable. The staff is just wonderful! They make you feel as if they were your family looking after you. The owners are a couple: Jacinta from the Netherlands and her husband from Bali. They know how to run a hotel very professionally and they also love the Balinese culture, something that you can experience at Mandala Desa much more than in a major chain hotel. Jacinta booked a cooking class for me that was wonderful. The hotel has drivers who are very polite and always willing to pick you up/drop you off anywhere. I also took a day tour with one of the drivers and felt that he really went out of his way to show me everything I wanted to see. The food was also great! I had breakfast and dinner there several times, and everything was delicious and very well presented. The food and drinks at the hotel are very affordable too. The wi-fi connection worked great.It is an extremely peaceful and comfortable place. I plan to go back there as soon as I have an opportunity.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Danielle S
Reviewed 27 February 2013

because I do not want this place to be overrun with people who are not me and my friends. BUT I also want Jacinta and her staff to all be there whenever I can return, and unfortunately I am not in the financial position to be able to live at her place. And boy was it hard to leave.
I have stayed in many villas--usually Seminyak or Sanur or Ubud--and in Lombok and Malaysia and Thailand, and this was easily the most relaxing and the best quality for expenditure I have ever received. I took my aunt and uncle from the US to visit Bali, and although I was a bit worried about being so far out of Ubud, I also knew they would not enjoy the noise, grime and traffic of "the spiritual center". This was better than a compromise. We received incredibly prompt doorstep service to every place we decided to go, both in Ubud and to the many arts villages around the area, as well as to the beach in Sanur. We probably should have gone out more--there were some restaurants that we didn't get to on the list, but the food was so good at Mandala Desa that it soon became easier to stay in and lounge in the pool and watch the interplay of the wild/village life that unfolded every day before us.
The Internet was excellent. The beds were great. The shower was spotless and worked well. The entire suite (Superior, 2 bedrooms, living and dining and huge balcony) was perfectly clean and furnished with very high quality items. We received a free afternoon tea every day--delicious cakes--and much of the food was organic. Nearly a full kitchen of equipment, but who would cook when you could have anything from a 12 page menu delivered in a few minutes? Not me! The only slight negative was having only one bathroom for 4 adults, but even that worked out ok. Next time I will have a different room as I expect it will be only me and my husband. And none of you! Please don't go! Just send them money!

Room Tip: HIgher floors will have a better view of the rice fields, lower ones of the gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2013

From Jacinta's warmth, to the charm of mandala desa, everything was perfect! Mandala Desa is tucked away from the otherwise touristy and crowded parts of Ubud (20 -30 minutes from Monkey Street). Our villa was impeccable (we had the one bedroom villa) and very functional, with the right amount of privacy. It had a beautiful front porch that looked into the ready- to- harvest paddy fields and a small little sit out by a pond, where reading a book and listening to the sound Our villa was cleaned every day and fresh towels (on request) and bed linen was provided. The villa had a coffee machine and plenty of drinking water. A mini bar with beer and snacks is available, which is replinished every day. The food was a pleasant surprise - definitely the best food that we experienced in Bali.

Jacinta's was tremendously helpful and gave us a whole load of excellent suggestions to experience Ubud. The staff was extremely friendly, and one of them actually took us around through the Mask village to experience the art of mask making. We rented a bike from Jacinta and shopped away at the Sukawati market, which, by the way is possibly the cheapest market I have ever been to. There's enough about it already, so won't say much, except bargain away!

Be sure to take the cycling tour recommended by Mandala Desa- it is excellent!

Thank you Jacinta for making our trip special! We will definitely be back.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple