All reviewssuperior suiterice fieldsafternoon teaarrange tourscoffee machineoutdoor showerwarm hospitalitythree nightsvillage lifeevery morningnasi gorenglocal villagevisit baliclose to naturewelcome drinkbalinese hospitalitylarge room
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed at Mandala Desa with my wife, daughter, mother, and mother-in-law. We rented the Garden Suite and Superior Suite to accommodate our large group. We choose Mandala Desa because of the positive reviews here, and we were not disappointed. If one is looking for a peaceful location and an authentic experience of central Bali, then choose Mandala Desa.

Jacinta and her staff were very attentive to our needs and requests. They provided a very high level of service and were experts on sightseeing in and around Ubud. The accommodation was just as advertised. We were pleased with the choice we made, and I would definitely stay at Mandala Desa again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Unoriginal_Name_2
Reviewed 25 July 2013

We would also like to thanks Jacinta, Ketut and all the staff at the Mandala Desa. The service, accommodation and food were all excellent.

The staff were extremely helpful, going over and above our highest expectations to make sure we had everything we needed and had an enjoyable holiday. Everyone was so friendly, we felt very welcome and like part of the family!

I would highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a peaceful and relaxing stay in a village about 20mins by free shuttle from Ubud. Also if you are keen to explore the surrounds there are lots of things to see and you can cycle on the free bikes or arrange tours. Otherwise you can enjoy the day relaxing by the lovely pool and in your villa.

I should also say the bed was exceptionally comfortable and it was quiet at night so we had an excellent sleep. We didnt have any problems with insects (just keep the door closed) and the food was very tasty and good value for money.

Room Tip: The villas are lovely and private.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2013

First of all, thanks to Jacinta, Madi and all the guys at Mandala Desa - you were not only professional, but such warm team of people. You were impeccable with your service, attentive without being intrusive, and your relaxed & friendly approach made our stay so much more restful and enjoyable. We felt like we were a part of the village!

The property was situated among a small community in Sukawati, set back from a local temple.
First impression - seemed like we've arrived at someone's house, as the entry was not grand or ostentatious as your typical balinese resort frontage.
We were welcomed by staff and ushered straight to our villa, situated at the back of the property.
Once entering the small traditional gate into the villa, we were blown away! A thatched roof villa with a huge marble floor porch, wrapped by a gold-fish pond and our own private bale connected by a wooden bridge, overlooking a peaceful rice field. Furnishing simple and tasteful, spotless and large bathroom with an outdoor bath and shower area.
The garden was gorgeous with many flowers in bloom, where my girls collected frangipanis all day long.
We stayed there for 4 days, basically relaxing and enjoying the property. They drove us to Ubud once, which seemed like a casual 15minute drive. The closest supermarket is about a 10 minute bike ride away but we didn't eat in sukawatti township (too filthy for young kids)

Food and beverage was excellent value. Both wetern comfort food and local. I loved their spicy seafood soup, which was clean, fresh and delicious. Vegetables were fresh and tender, home made yoghurt generous and moorish, and the fresh crepes with caramelised ?palm sugar & coconuts ~ that was just warm & melt in the mouth... too good to be true...
The person in the kitchen must have loved baking because they've also served us afternoon tea one day with fresh pandan chiffon cake - lime syrup glaze with fresh coconut shavings ~ SO GOOD. Kids loved the mocktails all day ~ "rice paddy view" was our favourite.
Sorry, I love my food! ...but while it's not a 5 star culinary experience, I enjoyed all of them, and also my body felt better because they were all wholesome home-cooked meals, a nice break for a traveller. Compliments to the kitchen!

It's a lovely community outside the resort - the locals had a fishing competition one morning, where all the people gathered and had fun fishing on the rice paddy stream. One afternoon the local kids (on school holidays) showed us how to fly a kite, then the big kids came out with a whopping 3m hand made kite ~ what a wholesome way to spend the day, tweeking aerodynamics!
Later that evening we saw the same kids dressed up in their temple attire to go and practise their chants. In this neibourhood they pray at 6am & 6pm. Looking over to the rice fields and hearing the temple music and chants in the distance was truly magical.

Room bar - good value.
Internet connection - excellent.
TV - not available, but you can help yourself to the dvd collection and play it in your room.
No mozzies, but you can still use the gorgeous cotton netting on four poster bed for romance!
Aircon if you wish.
No issues with bathrooms/hotwater.
Yes it's semi rural, you get the occasional ants and a visit from the gecko, but they cleaned the place spotless everyday and it was not a problem, even with messy kids.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank kickaroo
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Villa Mandala Desa is a great place to stay as I wanted to be away from the hustle and bustle of the city, and it's really affordable too!

Located beside the paddy fields, I wake up every morning to watch the sun rise over the fields ... a beautiful sight indeed.

They also provide complementary shuttle to Ubud town; which is good because it is about 20 mins away from Ubud.
My meals are served to my room and at very good prices too! As a frequent traveler, I never took anything from hotel room's minibar as they are usually overpriced ... but Mandala Desa's is not! Their has cans of soft drinks, beer, snacks, biscuits ... and priced about the same in the supermarkets.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank WoonLee
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Delicious food, lovely room (I stayed in the room by the pool) and a free shuttle to Ubud. I had a wonderful time staying at Mandala Desa and could not recommend it more highly. Everything they do is crafted to make your experience relaxing and peaceful. It is truly a sweet boutique hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo