“Most pretentious menu ever” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #103 of 708 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$2 - US$6
Cuisines: Cafe, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Raw & Vegan Cafe & Tonic Bar serving organic raw foods at the highest level by industry leaders. We have a Taoist Tonic bar serving ancient elixirs for superior health & longevity as well as a wild, organic ancient Chinese tea menu. Daily we have Ashtanga classes in the yoga studio & Bagua style Qi Gong. The place to be in Ubud if your looking for the cutting edge raw foods & ultimate health. In addition we have a raw food academy & run regular Raw Food & Yoga retreats here & around the world.
Perth, Australia
“Most pretentious menu ever”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Good food can speak for itself; this menu screams. I agree with the tenor of Fris B's review, the dominant flavours here are pretension and affectation. The dips were bad; the juices good. Simple sliced vegetables but the two dips to scoop were very small in quantity and not pleasant. Despite its name the Bakti Bliss was a well balanced and good tasting drink as was the Banana Dharma. The wrap was good; the daily special of "Pad Thai" was acceptable. Simple in its elements, reasonable presentation but rather spoilt by that menu which made it difficult for me to eat it in public - "served with sweet tamarind juices of love", actually it was drowned in them.

The cakes looked good but we did not try them. We could not bring ourselves to try the teas. "Hand picked from 800 year old wild trees by families who trace their lineage back 2 000 years so the chi is strong .." or something, I was laughing at the pretension too much to remember any more.

If you are not in the target demographic, very clearly a twenty something female on her way to or from yoga; or if you are not there to prey on such targets, then you will be out of place. Be sure to avoid faux pas like not taking your shoes off to walk on the tiled floor even though the staff will keep their shoes on.

Overall, expensive for what are mostly simple ingredients but perhaps worth it if you need more comedy in your life, that menu will give you more pleasure than the food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank UbudBaliRichard_L

• Polish first
Ubud, Indonesia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AmAzInG aLl ArOuNd :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

The food served at seeds of life is amazing, cant believe a raw vegan chocolate tort could taste that good. Also planting the seeds of living in a sustainable way through eating organic whole foods (sourced locally when possible) just leaves a great taste in my mouth! Thank you to Ben, Sayurie, Joao and Sonja *~....

Sydney, Australia
“The Emperor's New Clothes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Only had a drink and a dessert (the 'decadent chocolate cake') - I don't have an aversion to healthy food (no really!) but the cake tasted toooooo healthy to my palate (ok hipsters I'm ready to be attacked for saying this). In fact, 20 minutes later I'm still really not enjoying the lingering aftertaste. Also found it under-sweetened.

The fruit-juice was small but tasty (should be tasty for 35000 + 15%).
Really don't enjoy taking my shoes off nor sitting on the floor on cushions (both seem like affectations, though I'm sure their audience digs that stuff) - but I guess it's safe to safe to say I'm not their target market.

Ps. Was filled with hipsters and self-righteous vegan-types, and as beautifully friendly as the staff were, battled 3x over to get their attention. Also menu hard to read - you have to use both hands, or the pages spring back on themselves! Sorry if I sound like a grinch, but it was all pretty irritating and having finished this review, alas still not digging that pervasive after-taste.

Pps As a tactile, affectionate individual I'm all for hugs. But seeing one of their regulars walk into the open kitchen and hug all the male and female Balinese staff upon arrival was jarring in its cultural insensitivity - but I guess indicative of how well this place fits into the Eat Pray Love yoga aesthetic of the 'new Ubud'.

4 Thank Fris B
Paris, France
“Delicious raw food... something different that you have to try”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food was absolutely delicious, the best raw food we have ever had... It's very innovative, very tasty, very healthy... Will be back.

Visited June 2014
Montreal, Canada
“Incredible - I never thought Food could be Innovative!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A few dishes here I've loved, and the majority have just *blown my mind*. It's incredible that they are raw, SO good for you, full of nutrients (do some research about the benefits of raw food to understand), combined so perfectly (do some research about food combining to understand!) and on top of it all, so affordable, fairly priced.

I'd say my favorite is the raw lasagna (featured on Mondays) with the raw chocolate pie or raw banana cream pie for dessert (get a bottle of freshly made coconut milk to go with it). The chia pudding or raw granola for breakfast are also amazing. They now have fresh (as in, not powder) spirulina! I had never even seen that. This place is seriously amazing. The staff are great too. I stop by here nearly every day, and have often stayed long enough to have two meals and a snack in between... I never write reviews, but this is so worth recommending, I just had to.