“Ubud central”

and 1 more site!
Matahari Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #497 of 629 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was recommended to stay at Matahari Cottages by a friend. I enjoyed staying there because it was central in Ubud, walking distance to town, market. Bali Buda was in same street, and the Post Office. Lots of massage places too. Choice of breakfast was great, as was swimming in the pool before breakfast. I love the library room and would like to spend more time there too.

Room Tip: We had the Goa or Gua Room (Goa means cave). It was very large and quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2013

The staff here were excellent! Very friendly, polite, helpful and a pleasure to talk to. The pool and outdoor breakfast area was gorgeous! Only drawback was the rooms need some refurbishments and some TLC.
Great location also!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessie_eliza88
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I loved the pool- nice length and also the fact they had continuous coffee and tea in the pool cafe that you could come and have any time of the day. I have not found this before in other hotels, so this was quite a plus for me. The staff are very friendly. I had the Kecak room which was newly decorated and modern with a nice light feel about it. The other rooms I looked at seemed a bit dark. good value and handy to one of my favourite restaurants Bali Bhudda and walking distance to Radiantly alive yoga- good part of Ubud to stay in

Room Tip: I had the Kecak room which was nice,modern and light and airy. They are building next door but wasnt...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed at Matahari's Cottages in March-April 2013. The staff were very friendly, helpful, couldn't do enough for me. The atmosphere was of a family Hotel. It is quiet, relaxing and scenic. The pool was small but beautifully positioned. My room was comfortable with a fan and ensuite, and it was serviced every day. The gardens are lovely with lots of birds and free-roaming chickens. Breakfasts were adequate, every morning I'd be greeted with a lovely smile and sometimes a hug by the waitresses. Very 'Bali'. The Hotel is situated down a slight incline which gives views over a ravine. I had a couple of massages at the local place a few doors up and they were great. Lunch at the 2 storey cafe across the road from Matahari's was great when I didn't feel like walking anywhere. Otherwise it is a few minutes walk to The Bali Buddha cafe, and maybe 10 minutes at the most to the town centre of Ubud, Great location. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend Matahari's.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Judithanne26
Reviewed 5 July 2013

well it just goes to say how upmarket and competitive hotel standards are in ubud. This lovely place is rated 1 star on Agoda !! anywhere else in asia it would be at least 3.. we loved it.
rooms quirky with space and character. very helpful staff. gorgeous and refreshing rainforest pool. can't comment on food as we ate out. recommended for about 50 USD for a whole house for 3 adults++

Room Tip: get the big rooms-which have the beds upstairs-makes you feel real posh
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2013

My friend and I didn't know what to expect when we arrived to Matahari. We got the recommendation from our Lonely Planet guide and booked on the website on a whim. When we arrived to Matahari, we were blown away with its' beauty and lovely Iluh. Iluh has such a beautiful smile and is so warm and incredibly helpful.

We arrived in our little itty bitty room and we were pleased to be there with such uniqueness and coziness, but since there were other availabilities, Iluh invited us to move to a larger room. We LOVED our accommodation as it gave me and my friend plenty of space to do our own thing. We were both saying that we could see ourselves living in our room and were even imagining where we would put furniture!

The common area is gorgeous! The pool and the seating area is gorgeous! I couldn't get over how we would go from busy Ubud city life to quiet quaint living in a matter of seconds.

My only complaint with the property is the lack of cleanliness. As much as we loved our room, it looked like it hadn't been properly cleaned in quite a while. The bathroom needed a really good scrubbing and the main area needed a really good floor cleaning and dusting. It was very tidy, just not clean. But then again, I feel like my definition of clean and the Balinese definition of clean is very different.

All in all, I would highly recommend staying in this beautiful little B&B if you come to Ubud! Especially if you're traveling on your own. Matahari gives a great, relaxing setting and the other guests somehow make you feel like you're part of a family.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

My sister and I booked this unique looking B&B online. When we arrived and were shown to the Indian themed room it looked NOTHING like the pictures. It wasn't a funky decorated room, everything had been painted white and the furniture was falling apart. They gave us the room next door which still had a mural and a weird stone bathroom.
Even though it looked slightly "cooler" the room was very aged. The bathroom could have used a good scrub. There were ants in our bed. The wifi did not reach to any of the rooms. Breakfast was....edible.
If it wasn't for the fact that it was right down the street from the Bali Buddha restaurant and that we met some really cool people at the hotel I probably would have given this hotel 1 star.

• Stayed: March 2013