“Pretty good location in ubud, friendly staff, but dirty rooms that are poorly maintained with insect infestation.”

and 1 more site!
Matahari Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #496 of 629 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Over my 3 nights stay, we changed 3 rooms. The biggest, yet most horrible Gua room, the Janger room, and finally the Bintang room.
First night at Gua and we were deeply traumatized by the fused bulb in the shower, which the staff refused to change, the broken ceiling fan, which was replaced by yet another broken floor standing fan, and worst of all, a FLYING COCKROACH. The other 2 nights at Janger and Bintang were better, but we battled mosquitoes, flying and non-flying ants. Rooms (and pool) were also dirty and poor maintained.
For full review with pictures, visit http://molly-mia.blogspot.sg/2014/05/mias-travel-log-bali-day-1.html

Room Tip: Do not, I repeat, DO NOT choose Gua room! Out of the 3, I'll recommend Bintang room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mia F

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The highlight of the Matahari is definitely their staff- they were kind and friendly and helped me out in several situations. For example, when I requested a mosquito net, it was provided and installed quickly and with big smiles! The breakfasts were good, the rooms clean, and the location is conveniently in central Ubud, yet nice and quiet at night.

There was a conflict with my booking (I had booked a specific room online but the previous occupants stayed an extra night), so I was put in another room for my first night. Also, the library wasn't quite what I was expecting (there are no books to borrow, it's more just an indoor space with table and chairs.) Just a head's up to anyone who was looking for the "eclectic charm" shown in the photographs on their website- the two rooms that I was in had been whitewashed, so the murals shown in the photos weren't there anymore.

Room Tip: In April 2014 there was construction around the rooms near the check-in area (and it looked like it...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I'm 2 weeks into a month long stay and it's been just perfect for me. I'm staying in the Batavia room....it's quirky and older style but for the price, it's clean,has hot water and wifi. The staff here are gorgeous and the common area with pool is such a welcome addition for the price of a homestay. Breakfast is basic but abundant. Bottles of water every day and a dispenser for refills. 24 hour coffee and tea. It's close to Radiantly Alive for yoga and just a 10 min stroll to Jalan Hanoman or the palace. I would highly recommend it for someone who is looking for a homestay but needs a bit more!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DeanKate
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My second stay at Matahari was probably better. I was in the lovely Rembulan room, above Goa. Staff friendly and helpful. Loved the banana pancake for breakfast, sitting by the pool. Its a quaint place, close to Bali Buda restaurant, Post office, banks and about 5-10 minute walk (depending on how many shops you stop at!) from the Ubud Market and main shopping area. Ive recommend a couple of friends to stay there too and they were happy. If you want to change your room and there is another one available, they are happy to reorganise things. Just ask about laundry, massages, internet and other services. They also organised tickets for the Elephant Park and Balinese Dance Show for us… There is a new restaurant being constructed, so Im looking forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Close to rainforest, but no mosquitos in April ;)
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Very good location with stunning views of the overlooking thicket!! Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Away from the hustle and bustle of the centre of Ubud but easily accessible. Swimming pool is excellent

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Letchwort
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed at Matahari Cottages in August 2013. I spent the first night in the Barong room - thankfully for only one night. The beds were small and uncomfortable. There was nowhere to sit other than on the front porch if you don't mind being biten by mosquitos. It was dark, dingy and stale. The toilet was outdoors through a scary, dark, unloved 'garden'. I was terrified taking a shower while being pelted with water from a moudly dragons mouth.

Moved to the Sunshine room for a further two nights which was more bearable. This was not a themed hut but was lighter, brighter and more spacious - and also cheaper. It was very basic and a bit stale & mouldy but at least I didn't feel scared.

Also beware of returning to your hut after dark. The surrounding alleyways become a little desolate and dangerous at night time. They are patrolled by stray dogs who don't like trespassers. My partner and I were barked at and followed until my partner was biten on the ankle. Even on the following night when we teamed up with a group of people to walk the alley, we were still intimidated by the pack of local starving, desperate strays.

The breakfast was terrible. We heard many guests around us complaining also. Minimal choices, cold eggs, poor fruit.

We payed around $65 USD a night on average (varies for different rooms). I suggest paying a little more and staying at the clean, modern, safe Yulia on Monkey Forest Rd for $75 per night - a much nicer experience.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the Barong room - stale, dark, scary.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 000Evie000
Reviewed 14 January 2014

They were so sweet and accommodating. I was not happy with the first room they put me in but they changed me with no questions and i LOVED the room I ended up with! It was large and quiet and beautiful! I highly recommend this place to anyone!

Erin

Room Tip: Ask for something large, with ceiling fans, and be sure there are plenty of windows because it gets...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo