“nightmare!!!”

Ranked #176 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Athens, Greece
“nightmare!!!”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

broken windows...unfriendly staff...i dont have nothing more to say...DON'T STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DIMITRIOSMAK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Seoul, Korea
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed here in April 2011 for about four days. The price was (I think) 200,000 Rp per night. There are cheaper places in Ubud, but as you venture out into the provinces you'll find that this kind of price range gets you wildly different levels of comfort, hygiene and service.

On all three counts, I had no complaints at all. The room was fairly simple, but nice and clean, as was the bathroom. Each bungalow has a little verandah on which you can sit and have a coffee, and the views are very nice. The pool is very small, and if there's more than two or three people there is not much space to sit around by the poolside; but, again, it was clean and refreshing.

The staff were very nice and friendly, and as the owner's family lives on the premises there are kids playing, ladies doing washing etc - it does have something of the feel of a homestay rather than a hotel. I enjoyed my stay and ended up spending a couple of days in Ubud. My only gripe was that the hot water was not very reliable. Also, the lock on the door was of the basic Indonesian flimsy padlock variety - if you are concerned about valuables, it might not be the worst idea to bring your own padlock.

There are two Gusti Gardens, both (I think) owned by the same people, so make sure you know which one you are going to. The one on Jln. Kajeng is about five minutes walk from the top of Monkey Forest Road but in a very peaceful and quiet lane.

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone travelling on a budget who wants a place which is well situated, clean and pleasant to stay in. I would imagine that shelling out another 100/200,000Rp per night for a different hotel would see a bit step up in quality, of course.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bungalows that overlook the pool - all but a couple of them do, but I imagine tho...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
USA
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Gustis is overrated considering your choices for the same price around Ubud. I would say the only advantage of staying at Gustis is getting up early in the morning and having a short walk up to the entrance of the Champuhan rice paddy trail. The grounds are photo worthy, but it’s the stay that’s not.

The Room: The rooms felt like they were on top of each other. There wouldn’t have been any privacy had I opened my curtains. I had a great balcony looking over the pool, and I had a great view of Gusti’s grounds and the hotel property next door. This didn’t provide much privacy for others. Both the bedroom and bathroom looked old and dusty. The blankets were moist from the humidity. It’s probably best if they just stick with sheets. I did not enjoy hearing the scurrying of rats in the ceiling all night.

Staff: Over the so-so breakfast I had to experience the owner’s very pushy sell of a Kecak Dance performance. He didn’t ask me if I wanted to go. He told me I was going. Gustis is truly a guesthouse because the family lives there. That means you don’t have to pay extra tax on your room. Kids could be heard running around and laundry was hanging every where. While I was there I was woke up to the loud buzzing landscape equipment.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2011

You can't really complain when you're just paying 30$ a night for a room. But there are better places in Ubud than Gusti's.

The rooms are not all the same. But in general the rooms are really wet due to the position of the Bungalows near to the woods and a small river. Toilet and Shower are old and used, but ok. Every second day ther's a problem with the hot water. The room is only cleaned on request and the cleaning could be better. Towels and sheets are changed on request. Breakfast is ok but not overwhelming. The staff is friendly, when avaliable.

The rooms are noisy. 1. There is a loud waterfall nearby. 2. the crickets never stop. 3. The staff is loud, especially in the morning around 7am.

The location of Gusti's is good - not far from the market in Ubud and near a walk throu the rice fields.

The swimmingpool is useless: no sun, to small, not cozy.

I wouldn't recomend the place. Rather go to Rhoda or Padma in the same street. They have no pool but better rooms and service.

• Stayed August 2011

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

hobart
Reviewed 12 July 2011

HATI HATI This place should be avoided. My wife wouldn't even sit on the bed, let alone sleep in it. The room smelled mouldy when we first arrived. So i looked at the mattress and pillows, they were black with mould. I am sure if we had persisted and stayed we would've become ill. We booked 2 rooms, one for my son(12 years) and one for my wife and I. The lock on Frank's room didn't work. The steps leading from reception to our room was very dangerous. The linen on the bed wasn't clean. Its only redeeming feature was that the staff were friendly. I felt sorry for them that had to work in such a place. After leaving our luggage in the room, we went in search of alternative places, and we luckily found found Puri Bayu (off Jalan Bisma) . it was more economical than Gusti and clean, sheets changed everyday, beautiful bathroom, and from our 1st floor room we had a view across the rice paddies. And in the evenings a cool breeze would blow across the valley. So moving out of Gusti was probably the best decision we made during our holiday.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank klektik
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I have stayed at both hotels : Gustis Garden 1 & Gustis Garden 2. Without hesitation, the best is GG 2.
GG 1 :
Very central. Garden and pool are amazing. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is OK. Very noisy in the morning (people and kids are talking LOUD).
GG 2 :
Not very central. Small pool. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is nice. Very quiet. The view is AMAZING. You are literally in the middle of rice fields. Breakfast is served on your balcony.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2010

I stayed here for one night with a friend when Ubud Bungalow was full. I preferred Ubud Bungalow as it seemed just a bit more up-scale, but the gardens at Gustis are lovely, the staff are friendly, and the location (a vibrant side street in Ubud) is a bit more mellow than the many bungalows based on the busy touristy streets. The location here is quiet and pleasant, so much so that it's a bit of a shock once you turn out on the main street! The bungalows are nestled on a hill in the back that leads down to a pool and a simple restaurant where breakfast is served (banana/papaya/pineapple, tea or coffee, and choice of banana pancake, local cooked banana sandwich, and one other thing I unfortunately don't remember). The pool is not that big but clean and there is an outdoor shower next to the pool. They offered towels on request but no soap/shampoo. The inside of the bungalow was fine, but my comforter smelled like mold so I didn't sleep with it. They arranged a driver to take me to the airport (DPS) for the appropriate going rate and were very friendly.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends