“Stay in Ubud, Indonesia”

Gustis Garden Bungalows
Ranked #175 of 197 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We initially planned to stay only 3 nights in Ubud, finally there were 7... We stayed the whole time in Gustis Garden Bungalow. The staff is very nice and the place just charming, away from noisy roads

Room Tip: It was good value for the price paid
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 September 2011

broken windows...unfriendly staff...i dont have nothing more to say...DON'T STAY THERE!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DIMITRIOSMAK
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I stayed here in April 2011 for about four days. The price was (I think) 200,000 Rp per night. There are cheaper places in Ubud, but as you venture out into the provinces you'll find that this kind of price range gets you wildly different levels of comfort, hygiene and service.

On all three counts, I had no complaints at all. The room was fairly simple, but nice and clean, as was the bathroom. Each bungalow has a little verandah on which you can sit and have a coffee, and the views are very nice. The pool is very small, and if there's more than two or three people there is not much space to sit around by the poolside; but, again, it was clean and refreshing.

The staff were very nice and friendly, and as the owner's family lives on the premises there are kids playing, ladies doing washing etc - it does have something of the feel of a homestay rather than a hotel. I enjoyed my stay and ended up spending a couple of days in Ubud. My only gripe was that the hot water was not very reliable. Also, the lock on the door was of the basic Indonesian flimsy padlock variety - if you are concerned about valuables, it might not be the worst idea to bring your own padlock.

There are two Gusti Gardens, both (I think) owned by the same people, so make sure you know which one you are going to. The one on Jln. Kajeng is about five minutes walk from the top of Monkey Forest Road but in a very peaceful and quiet lane.

Overall I would recommend this place to anyone travelling on a budget who wants a place which is well situated, clean and pleasant to stay in. I would imagine that shelling out another 100/200,000Rp per night for a different hotel would see a bit step up in quality, of course.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bungalows that overlook the pool - all but a couple of them do, but I imagine tho...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Gustis is overrated considering your choices for the same price around Ubud. I would say the only advantage of staying at Gustis is getting up early in the morning and having a short walk up to the entrance of the Champuhan rice paddy trail. The grounds are photo worthy, but it’s the stay that’s not.

The Room: The rooms felt like they were on top of each other. There wouldn’t have been any privacy had I opened my curtains. I had a great balcony looking over the pool, and I had a great view of Gusti’s grounds and the hotel property next door. This didn’t provide much privacy for others. Both the bedroom and bathroom looked old and dusty. The blankets were moist from the humidity. It’s probably best if they just stick with sheets. I did not enjoy hearing the scurrying of rats in the ceiling all night.

Staff: Over the so-so breakfast I had to experience the owner’s very pushy sell of a Kecak Dance performance. He didn’t ask me if I wanted to go. He told me I was going. Gustis is truly a guesthouse because the family lives there. That means you don’t have to pay extra tax on your room. Kids could be heard running around and laundry was hanging every where. While I was there I was woke up to the loud buzzing landscape equipment.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2011

You can't really complain when you're just paying 30$ a night for a room. But there are better places in Ubud than Gusti's.

The rooms are not all the same. But in general the rooms are really wet due to the position of the Bungalows near to the woods and a small river. Toilet and Shower are old and used, but ok. Every second day ther's a problem with the hot water. The room is only cleaned on request and the cleaning could be better. Towels and sheets are changed on request. Breakfast is ok but not overwhelming. The staff is friendly, when avaliable.

The rooms are noisy. 1. There is a loud waterfall nearby. 2. the crickets never stop. 3. The staff is loud, especially in the morning around 7am.

The location of Gusti's is good - not far from the market in Ubud and near a walk throu the rice fields.

The swimmingpool is useless: no sun, to small, not cozy.

I wouldn't recomend the place. Rather go to Rhoda or Padma in the same street. They have no pool but better rooms and service.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 12 July 2011

HATI HATI This place should be avoided. My wife wouldn't even sit on the bed, let alone sleep in it. The room smelled mouldy when we first arrived. So i looked at the mattress and pillows, they were black with mould. I am sure if we had persisted and stayed we would've become ill. We booked 2 rooms, one for my son(12 years) and one for my wife and I. The lock on Frank's room didn't work. The steps leading from reception to our room was very dangerous. The linen on the bed wasn't clean. Its only redeeming feature was that the staff were friendly. I felt sorry for them that had to work in such a place. After leaving our luggage in the room, we went in search of alternative places, and we luckily found found Puri Bayu (off Jalan Bisma) . it was more economical than Gusti and clean, sheets changed everyday, beautiful bathroom, and from our 1st floor room we had a view across the rice paddies. And in the evenings a cool breeze would blow across the valley. So moving out of Gusti was probably the best decision we made during our holiday.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank klektik
Reviewed 18 February 2011

I have stayed at both hotels : Gustis Garden 1 & Gustis Garden 2. Without hesitation, the best is GG 2.
GG 1 :
Very central. Garden and pool are amazing. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is OK. Very noisy in the morning (people and kids are talking LOUD).
GG 2 :
Not very central. Small pool. Rooms are big and clean. Staff is nice. Very quiet. The view is AMAZING. You are literally in the middle of rice fields. Breakfast is served on your balcony.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends