“Extraordinary low-key resort with excellent hospitality”

Tanah Merah Art Resort
Ranked #90 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Philadelphia, PA
“Extraordinary low-key resort with excellent hospitality”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I've stayed in thousands of hotels, but I can think of very few that were as enjoyable as the Tanah Merah. It's a very interesting and unique property. What's going on here is that you have a rich Danish dentist, Peter Bloch, who moved to Bali many decades ago and embraced the culture and lifestyle of the island. He's built this extremely pleasant, low key and "exclusive" resort (movie stars could hide from the paparazzi here) a few kilometers from Ubud next to a very scenic tropical gorge. Everything about the place feels very Balinese -- especially the architecture -- yet everything is also professionally managed. I really liked how the staff is friendly and helpful, but not obsequious. It's almost like staying at the private tropical estate of your very rich relative.

Indeed, you sort of wonder why Peter "bothers" to operate this resort. He doesn't seem to need the money and the rates are low enough (at least the discounted rates which seem to be widely available) that you wonder how the hotel can make a profit given the lavish grounds and plentiful staff. And within the resort grounds are purpose-built rooms to house his remarkable collection of Asian art. Few museums can rival his collection and, as a guest, you can take a private tour of the collection upon request. The tour is very interesting and extremely worthwhile.

Many acts of hospitality are extended to guests without additional charge. Like others, we were upgraded from a studio room (which are more than nice enough) to a villa with private infinity pool and gorgeous vista. No charge to have the included breakfast delivered to our pool terrace in the morning. Unlike some others, I thought they did a good job with the breakfast: the "American" was a tasty "bacon and eggs" meal with plenty of fresh breads, juice and fruits. And on Christmas eve, Peter invited all of the hotel guests to an elaborate dinner of Danish and Balinese specialties. No charge, of course -- when was the last time a resort treated its guests to Christmas dinner?

When my online travel agency accidentally cancelled part of my reservation, the staff cheerfully made things right, even at considerable inconvenience to themselves.

As others have noted, the location of the property a few kilometers from Ubud has pluses and minuses. I think far more pluses, as Ubud is now almost a small city filled with noise, traffic and too many tourists. It's still a pleasant place to dine and shop, though, and the hotel will drop you off in town at no charge. You then need to hail a taxi to get back, which is mildly annoying because you have to find a guy (taxis are unmarked but plentiful) and bargain the price, but with little difficulty you can get back for about US$5.

We stayed 3 nights and made the Tanah Merah our base to relax and sightsee in the area, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a longer stay simply to "getaway" and take things easy. Certainly the price is right for what you get, and you will be hard pressed to find better hospitality elsewhere. As long as you're looking for peace and tranquility -- and not a lively party scene -- I don't think there's a better place to stay for the money in all of Bali. I'd give them 6 stars here if I could!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave's_reviews

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights. We booked a studio but were upgraded to a villa overlooking the valley on arrival which was amazing. The setting is serene and the views breathtaking. The service is impeccable and Peter is a real character; welcoming and full of great advice. I actually preferred that the hotel is out of town for the setting alone; the shuttle in to the centre is available till 9 so there is no inconvenience. I will certainly return and I recommend that anyone visiting Ubud strongly consider Tanah Merah.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Hommedesaffaires
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Room - We booked a bungalow room (~$100, their cheapest actually) but when we got in the resort, they told us that they have upgraded our room to a two-floor villa. Confused at first. When the staff showed our villa for the night, I was like, "wow seriously, is this a free upgrade?" The villa had 2 rooms (which is actually not needed since we're only two), a very spacious detached bathroom, a veranda with many comfy bean bags and an overlooking view of a beautiful gorge. We loved the feel of our room and the beautifully quilted sheets.

Maintenance - mosquito/insect repellers were replenished right on so the insects were not really a problem (normal on hotels situated in a forest). no cleanliness issues here.

Infinity Pool - they had two infinity pools. I loved the largest pool with the view of the gorge.

Breakfast - the only thing i think that needed improvement was their breakfast. Don't get me wrong cause they actually serve good breakfast with a number of options to choose from. I ordered for an american breakfast; but it had a small croissant, a rough bacon strip and a slice of thick brown bread that was too heavy to chew and swallow. I just hope they had a better choice of breads. actually, it was really not a big deal for me because i was too hungry to complain (drinking my coffee/fresh lemon juice while day-dreaming with a view of the gorge made me forget about the bread rants too) lol.

Staff and security - everyone was friendly and they made sure that they meet your needs while in the resort. check-in and check-out were hassle-free.

Location - uhm, we hired a scooter from the center. so commuting to the resort was not a problem. but considering its distance from ubud's center, i must say that the location can be a challenge.

---

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brenditawanderlust
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel at the end of a long trip around Asia.

Decided to treat us and booked the Mads Lange villa. It looks amazing on the photos, but is impossible to describe how beautiful is this place in real.

It's an unique experience! If you can afford the upgrade don't even think about it... It's worth every single penny!

It was the seventh hotel we stayed in a row and I am happy it was the last one, as we were so spoilt that we wouldn't like any other place.

Thank you Tanah Merah!

• Stayed September 2013
pukkila
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

We stay 3 weeks in Indonesia many places and this one is really most enjoyable place to stay. Breathtaking wiew. Very luxury room(we take Mads Lange suite)own pool, jacussi and garden towards to jungle. Free shuttle bus to Ubud and taxifee back only 50000idr. If you want privacy with luxury, take this. And price is reasonable.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kyytiakke67
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We have stopped counting how many times we have stayed at this fabulous resort, surrounded by the real Bali nature, with rice field and jungle forest, it unbelievable you’re only 4 kilometers from Ubud.
Working down the stone steps to the River is a must, where a swim upriver to the waterfall, gives the feeling of being miles away from any civilization, it’s awesome.
Indonesia is a land with a great culture and history, which seems to be forgotten at so many Hotels and Resorts, but at Tanah Merah the amazing gallery, and art collection brings us back a thousand years, it’s just as amazing as the place itself, we have stayed at several of the so very different rooms at Tanah Merah, and can only advice you to do the same.

Room Tip: The rooms are so different, it impossible to give advise, stay a while and try them all.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Albury, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

The rooms at Tanah Merah are spacious and the views are magical. The spaces are artistic and perfect for families because they are so ample and generous. My daughter loved sleeping in the carved Balinese day bed in Studio 4; it was like a Royal Cubby House! My family travelled with 3 other families and I feel that the decision to stay at the Tanah Merah was perfect. Besides the amazing rooms, this boutique hotel is dedicated to looking after the people staying in it's 15 rooms. Nothing was too difficult for the wonderful staff at the Tanah Merah. Also, being a little way out of Ubud turned out to make our trip; we are all still talking about the amazing views at breakfast (and everywhere else at the Tanah Merah), and we were able to immerse ourselves in views of rice-fields when driving. Everytime I arrived back to my Studio room, I felt like I was at the home I never wanted to leave because of the space and creative feel. This place can't be compared to a Hotel; it is far too special.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family