“Will visit again”

Tanah Merah Art Resort
Ranked #91 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I chose this resort because I was attracted by the quite environment and want to have the experience to stay at a wooden house. The wooden house is unique, we were very happy and went out for sight seeing, unfortunately, when we back to the wooden house in the evening, we found the washroom was not located on the same level after , we need to walk down the wooden stair when use the washroom, it's difficult for me especially in mid-night, the staff very helpful to call the management and move us to the studio room. They arrange another studio room for the 2nd night also, I am very appreciated for their offer,

Studio room was very big and clean with a small patio, we had breakfast there in the morning and beer in the evening, the only not very good was a very tall wall that you cannot see outside.

The resort located far from the centre, it was easy if you self-drive, and the resort provides shuttle service, but I have no information.

Yes, for the car rental, we rent a car through the car rental web site, we pick up the car at Denpasnar Airport, and agreed return it back to the airport also, on the date we left, we waited at the airport car park for nearly 1 hour, no people show up, and we cannot contact the staff or owner by phone. At last, we gave the car key to the police station at the domestic airport.

Even we were a bit worry when waiting at airport, but no harm the wonderful trip in Bali.

Room Tip: There is a wooden house facing the swimming pool, it's washroom is located on the same level, bu...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Tanah Merah Art Resort

Reviewed 3 July 2014

we stayed at Tanah Merah with my parents, and although we booked a standard room, we were given a 2 room villa for the same price! they said it would be more convenient for 3 adults! only that alone would make me wanna give them 5 star rating, but there's more to come! It is located out of Ubud, but they provide a free shuttle bus to anywhere in Ubud, so distance is not an issue, on the way back we paid around 50 000 rupiah(less than 5 USD) and every driver seems to know this place, so its easy to get to Tanah Merah day or night!
the villa where we stayed had 3 buildings, yes 3, the main one with master bedroom upstairs that had double 4 poster bed, thatched roof and a small terrace by the room, with sofa, leather rocking chair table and an amazing view of the greenery! directly below the room we had a open air lounge area with cushions and a coffee table, again facing the beautiful greenery(the river valley), it had a lower level with a full sized dining table for 4, and a separate building for the bathroom, that had a quirky but lovely waterfall wall, bath tub and separate shower:) the 3rd separate building where I've slept was a classical balinese villa, rather large and with thatched roof as well, so ceilings are very high, it had 2 single beds comfy and charming:)
the owner is a super super nice gentleman Peter, I'm honestly honoured to meet this man, he is a fantastic and inspiring personality, an avid art collector and very knowledgeable person. He can tell you so much about art and history of South East Asia in general and Indonesia-Bali in particular, I was completely blown away by his art collection and gallery that is open for visitors of the hotel. Truly a unique experience!
All the staff were outstanding, polite, nice, efficient, they meet all your needs and go beyond any expectations to make your stay as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
One day my mom decided to go for a SPA that her friend told about(Bali botanica which ended up being so-so as that had a flood in the building ground floor we had to walk 10 inches in rain water to get out of our rooms, we felt that we'd better opt for the SPA in the hotel but she really wanted to try out the spa her friend loved so much) so the story goes like this-I called the spa and they said they are fully booked for days ahead, my mom told other guest about the spa and they said they could;t get a booking as well. So in a conversation with Peter, when he asked what were we up to that day, I mentioned that mom wanted spa but couldn't get a booking, he assured me that is was no problem for him, as everybody in Ubud knows him and would like to help, and we just gotta tell the time that we'd like to go for a spa. In 15 minutes one of his assistants, so sorry I forgot his name) called to the room(I just basically slowly walked to the room from the gallery taking pictures on the way) and said that we have our booking for the spa and at the time that we wanted-miracles! Truly a great service from Tanah Merah!!! they didn't push their spa, however they have a beautiful spa facilities, but understood mom's desire to see other spa:) kudos to Tanah Merah again!
We initially booked Tanah Merah for 2 nights but ended up staying for 4, and honestly all of us would love to go there again. We still talk about Tanah Merah every time we talk about Bali! I'd love to show this amazing and unique place to my husband as he is really interested in art and history. I recommend this place to anyone looking for a real balinese experience. I guess this place in not for everybody, if you like modern concrete-block style hotels then this one is not for you, it is unique, filled with arts, surrounded by nature and very very balinese! I think our rooms didn't even have TV but, guys, really, who needs TV when you have such an amazing art gallery, such an amazing views and grounds all around you? you are in the TV, its like being inside a movie:)
Breakfast was really good, however I think local balinese dishes were cooked better than western, so met goreng, nasi goreng, congee style rice porridge were very good, american breakfast was so-so, but again, here you are to experience bali, right? separately I want to tell you about the views. We were seating at the breakfast restaurant one day, it has the same views of the river and jungles across the river as our villa had, and I noticed something on the other bank of the river in the palm trees. That were monkeys! Huge monkey family were sitting there having their breakfast as well! I ran into my room got a camera and made tons of pictures! how cool is that?

separately I want to say about other guests of Tanah Merah, this place is unique and attracts a unique guests, that are interested in arts and culture, loved chatting with them!

there is a walkway down to the river from the hotel its very steep but very nice-try it if you are in a good fiscal shape(no probe for my senior parents, so many of you can do it)

all in all THANK YOU, Peter, all the staff at Tanah Merah for this unforgettable experience, we felt very welcome, and we are very grateful for this! Will be back no doubt!

Room Tip: villas are great
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lunohodik
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After spending nearly two weeks in places along the beach, a friend and I decided to relocate to Ubud for a change in scenery. We stayed in some very beautiful places leading up to Tanah Merah, however, we truly felt we were in the Bali we dreamed of when walking into this hotel. Check-in was efficient and we were in our room within 5 minutes of arriving. We stayed in a studio which was decorated with absolutely beautiful artwork and ornate furniture.

The entire resort of a piece of art and one of the best views is from the pool area which overlooks the jungle/greenery of the countryside of Ubud. Make sure you spend some time up there as the views are breathtaking.

We ordered room service both nights we were there and the food was always delicious and fresh. Breakfast was also plentiful and we found ourselves unable to finish everything provided to us (never a bad thing to be given too much food!). On our last morning, we had to catch a 7am flight to our next destination and the restaurant provided us with a breakfast box, which we found to be extremely thoughtful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Claudia M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Traveled in a group of 6 to Ubud in May 2014. It was our first time to Bali and we picked Tanah Merah as our hotel in Ubud based on the reviews we read on Tripadvisor. The actual place looked even better in person than on pictures. We had Bali Villa 1 (both rooms) and Bali Villa 2 and the rooms were super clean, beds were comfortable and the view spectacular, overlooking the jungle and could hear the river from the rooms. Each villa came with its own private patio, It was a great escape for all of us who are used to be living in large cities like Boston, NYC or Seattle. The Bali Villas are just steps away from the reception so not many stairs to walk, easily accessible for elderlies but I would recommend Bali Villa 2 over Bali Villa 1 for those who need to go to bathroom frequently during the night or poor vision - bathroom for Bali Villa 2 is directly accessible from the room whereas bathroom for Bali Villa 2 is located as a stand alone unit and shared between Bali Villa 1 room 1 located on the same level of the bathroom and room 2 which is a stand alone room with a outdoor staircase (must climb down the staircase to go to toilet). The traditional Balinese bathrooms were each super cutely decorated with flowers and stone carvings. Water flow from shower was a little bit weak most likely due to the piping system. Breakfast was included and choices were decent and it could be delivered to the room if desired. The brave ones can also walk down the staircases close to the restaurant where you have breakfast (there 2 restaurants) to the river but make sure to wear proper shoes and beware of uneven steps - with some luck you may see wild monkeys. Staff was super friendly and always smiley. Our only regrets - only stayed for 3 nights and did not have a chance to enjoy the beautiful swimming pools and also explore the Museum and Private Collection (need about 2 hrs for the special tour). Also if you get to talk to Herman, the owner of the place, he has traveled around and has many stories to share. Hopefully we get to travel back to Bali again in the near future! This was by far the best hotel experience I've ever had in my entire life!

Room Tip: Choose Bali Villas for the views and traditional look but recommend Bali Villa 2 for the elderly peo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The stay at Tanah Merah resort was the highlight of our stay in ubud.
Excellent location on the banks of a river amidst. mountains(you can go down and swim in the river if you want) one would wake up with the calls of birds in the morning and sleep listening to enchanting music from the nearby temple. The resort is 10min drive(most of which is through rice fields) from the city centre put being away from the noise works in the favor of resort.
The staff is very cordial, excellent in their communication and their services are of high quality.
The rooms are beautiful and are tastefully done.
The only problem we had was the signal strength of wifi connection. This aside, We would love to stay here again.

Tip: They serve breakfast to your room and so you can enjoy your meal soaking up the beautiful view from your patio. Do take advantage of that:)

Room Tip: cottage villas near the swimming pool even though they are little smaller.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Having lived and worked in Bali off and on the last 10 years I've seen the island through many changes and transformations. This last trip however was pure holiday. I met the owner Peter about 7 years ago at his shop in Ubud. He graciously invited me to his property for a tour. I always remembered Tanah Merah, and was the first and only place we booked for this latest trip to Bali. My step father had never been to Indonesia, so I wanted to show him as authentic as possible a pure Balinese style experience. You get this at Peter's slice of paradise. But you also get a look into the incredible kaleidoscope of art and culture that makes Indonesia such a fascinatingly stimulating place for the senses. His art collection is nothing short of extraordinary (both museum and shop are a must see), and the art that is scattered about the hotel's grounds is unique and intriguing. The staff goes way out of their way to make you comfortable and relaxed. The Balinese are well known for their gentleness and hospitality. Our driver Made (he lives next door) was also very thorough and reliable and took us basically anywhere we needed to go to. This is important to have a good driver in Bali who knows his way around the island. The morning staff at breakfast were just delightful and very professional. The grounds are just beautiful and the views to die for. I still love Bali, but the Kuta and neighboring beach areas have been over built and as consequence are extremely crowded and traffic now rivals Jakarta. So if you are a first timer to the "island of the gods" or going back for holiday, skip the Kuta areas and head straight away to Tanah Merah Resort & Gallery!

Room Tip: Th rooms are all a bit different; we stayed in the Timor Huts out back by the pool and edge of prope...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BaliChris270
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 3 nights and it was very nice;

(+)
- Amazing View
- Free upgrade from cottage to Bintang Villa
- Breakfast was nice, really nice bread
- Nice big room
- Amazing pools
- Rooms cleaned and re arranged twice a day
- Could order breakfast to the room
- Towels and robes availible in room
- Free shuttle service on demand
- Friendly staff

(-)
- The airport pick up service is expensive, meet a local driver to take you back to the airport for atleast $10 cheaper
- Breakfast wasn't buffet, you had a choice of American, Contintal, and Indonesian.
- The resturaunt menu is all in US $ and is very expensive for Bali. All items only 10-20$ but once you add the 10% tax and service is ends up being fairly expensive compared to usual Bali prices
- The TV was too far away from the bed
- The staffs english wasnt great
- The dogs in the hotel smell and need a good clean and they need their nails cutting
- The massages are expensive, also in US $... $40 for a 1 hour massage... very expensive for Bali

We wanted to spend a weekend relaxing and not having to go anywhere but due to the hotels food and massages being so expensive we didnt get chance, we ended up going to the town a lot.

If you're looking for a cheap, relaxing holiday, I would look somewhere else, it is a very nice hotel with an amazing view but the menu and spa prices were a big downfall.

Room Tip: Bintang Villa 1 & 2 are both very nice. The other villas looks amazing. Definitely upgrade from...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple