“Filthy dirty hole”
Review of Ubud Inn Cottages

Ubud Inn Cottages
Ranked #157 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 21 October 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three nights early October.
We had booked a superior room at the hotel and when we got there it was totally unliveable.
It was small dark dirty and depressing, we asked to be moved to another room which was laerger dirty and depressing.
The towels , I would not have washed the floor with, the tiles in the bathroom were mouldy and needing a good clean.
We contracted bali belly which we ar e almost sure came from so me tea we had ordered from room service. This lasted six days and ruined our holiday. The staff although very smiley were only after getting money through selling us trips.
The reception staff were strange. A wholly awful hotel where we wd not recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank Conniematopea

Reviewed 18 October 2012

I was informed that you do not need to make hotel reservations in Bali. At home, you choose two or three addresses on the internet and, on location, you visit them and make your final choice. Coming from your previous locaion, you just make an agreement with the driver to this small extra 'tour'. This went OK in Lovina and Candidasa; but not in Ubud. It was not possible to stay for 8 nights in eitgher of the three hotels of our choice. Finally, the driver advised us this hotel, and there were rooms available indeed.
So, last september, we stayed for 8 days in this hotel. Good location in a nice, well kept garden. Friendly personnel, However, for the price we payed, the standard room was quite basic, and you might expect it to be a be better maintained. The accoustic isolation between the rooms is non-existing. So, in 8 days, you always get one or the other very noisy neighbour.
The peronnel worked very hard to keep the premises clean. However, for some reason, they always forgot the pool. The water was turbid (after complaints of ourselves and other guests, this improved during our stay) . But the tiles of the walls remained covered with some algae. Everybody went in the water; no one got sick or so; but it's not very inviting.
That's why this review is titeled 'Mixed feelings'.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in july. The room was cleen but small. We didn't use munch time in the room because Ubud has so munch to see. Ask for a room in the back because there is alot of noice from the road.

Very friendly staff and nice pool area. This is a great budget hotel!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed here for one night because we were travelling to the south.
We stayed here because the hotel we wanted was fully booked and ended up here.
the room was clean, but very modest.
at 5 in the morning we were waked by a rooster who kept screaming for an hour.
Pro is that the hotel is very central and that is what you pay for.

It was way to pricey for Balinese standards, ( 80 dollars or 65 euros) for a normal room.
I've seen better places for less money.

breakfast is included, but not that great. The staff was friendly but the second we said we wanted the room, a staffmember wanted to know where we were going next and if we wanted transport. It is kind of annoying but it is the way Balinese people make a living so eventually we negiotated with him and got a good deal and a good driver.
But if you do not want anything just kindly say no thank you.

but the hotel is average and there are better places to stay in Ubud. Book in advance, because Ubus is popular en pricey.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This place came recommended in my guide book and proved to be a good place to stay. The location is great for access to the main attractions of Ubud, and while my room was basic it was a good price.
My only complaint concerned the staff at breakfast. Each morning of my stay a different member of staff (male staff - the female waiting staff were very polite and quiet) came to speak to me and while seeming to be 'helpful' were actually trying to sell me things to do at much higher than the going rate. Each day I politely declined their offers and instead either arranged trips myself or through an agent on the main street - always for a much lower price than the hotel staff mentioned. I wish I'd been left alone at breakfast as pushy sales each morning really did not make for a happy start to the day!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I had a good stay at Ubud Inn. A variety of room types are scattered in lusher-than-lush gardens. I thought it a peaceful place to stay. Surprisingly so as its on the main street, near the monkey forest. The staff I found to be friendly and helpful.
I had a standard room for a few nights which was clean and cosy but in need of some TLC. The bed linen was clean and crisp, with a beautiful local patch work blanket. The bathroom was a little grotty and the towels a little old. The pool is pretty good too- its a decent size and refreshing.
The highlight after the gardens is the breakfast, its yummy filling; fruit, choice of black rice pudding or banana pancakes or omlette. Get up early enough and see the adopted fuit bat being fed!
I would recommend staying here. Yes its cheap, so don't expect 5 star, but I found it value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Very dissapointing stay at the Ubud Inn. My girlfriend and I got a standard double room reduced from the normal price of US $100 due to it being low season.

On close inspection the room was filthy and had it not been for the fact we were exhasuted and only stayng for 1 night, we would have left straight away. The room smelt of mould which was growing in the bathroom, walls and shower curtain. The room we stayed in and the hotel itself could be lovely - it is just very neglected. A plug socket in our room was hanging off the wall and the door was locked with a padlock - which still allowed the door to be pushed open to reveal a large gap - not very safe indeed. The hotel entrance looks impressive but behind the facade it is a very different story. The reception staff were blunt and not very friendly.

Breakfast wasn't great but the most annoying thing was that the waiter was more like a salesman! He kept trying to sell us the hotel taxi service - all we wanted to do was eat our breakfast in peace.

The pathways in the hotel are poorly lit at night, we had to use a torch to get to our room located behind the pool.

Checkout time was midday so in the morning we went and did some last minute shopping. We arrived back to our room at 11am to find the bed had been made and the room 'tidyed'. Obviously the room maid didn't know we were checking out - what kind of hotel makes up a hotel room on the day that a person is checking out! The frustrating thing was that we had left our clothes etc on the bed to pack when we got back and the room maid moved them all.

As I mentioned, if I had been paying the full price for this room I would have left. There are much better hotels for a lot less within a few meters of the Ubud Inn. Definately would not be back.

Room Tip: Book a hotel elsewhere on Monkey Forest Road.