“Smelly sheets and broke water tap”
Review of Abangan Bungalow

Abangan Bungalow
Ranked #155 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 13 May 2012

We stayed at the Abangan Bungalows 3 nights in April. The grounds was beautiful, lush and well kept. The bungalow we had the # 7 was one of the largest with 2 bedrooms, one down staire and one larger up staire with a queen size bed in each. There were also 2 large but very basic with tiny sink bathrooms. However hot water was plentiful and the AC was working well too. Even there was no seating area inside the bungalow there was a nice verandah for each of the bungalows with table and chairs where the breakfast was been served every morning. Abangan is well situated and of walking distance to the market and the palace. And there stops the nice things of that place. Now are the bad things that we had endured during the first two days of our stay: the hotel was not well kept, it's seemed abandoned by the owner. We didn't see him or her the 3 days we were there. The windows didn't shut well, the down stair bedroom has no chair or table or closet or cloth hangers. And the most horrible thing on our first night there was that the sheets and pillow cases smelled like someone with a bad body odor problem who used cheap perfum had slept in our bed! And both beds smelled that same horrible odor. And then there was the smelly toilet and broken toilet seat and broken sink tap. There was not any towel hanger nor any hook in the bathroom to hang our clothing neither. And the last straw was the smell of cat litter on the alley going to our bungalow. We travelled with a friend of my and she was so disgusted with all those things that she just stayed only one night in Abangan. Since we had paid in advance and had only 3 days in Ubud and did not have time to go hotel hunting, I decided to take the matter into my own hands so on the second day, noticing that the bed still smelled bad even though the sheets were changed, I asked the room boy to gave me two sets of newly washed sheets, then I went to the market to buy the strongest toilet cleaning products and cleaned the toilet by myself. And after that our stay there was more pleasant. So on our last day we really enjoyed eating our breakfast on the verandah, looking out at the trees and flowers and thinking that Bali and Ubud are really magical places to visit.

1  Thank TravelcrazeMontreal

Reviewed 10 May 2012

We stayed in Ubud our 2nd week in Bali and booked 8 days to stay here. It was a good 8 days and you get what you pay for. Unfortunately with a family of 5, 3 of them being toddlers we needed more ammenities than what the room offered. There was no tv and no refridgerator. The water seemed to take hours to get warm and even then it turned scalding within about 30 seconds. The pool was lovely and the grounds were so clean. The actual villa was lovely with a bedroom downstairs and one upstairs both with separate toilets and showers/baths. We had a wonderful view. The staff was all very nice and helpful it was mainly hectic not having a fridge for drinks and snacks. We ended up buying a portable dvd player wish added in the no tv issue. If you are looking for a quiet retreat in the beautiful Ubud, this is the place to go. Just down the hill is everything you need. Ubud is a very snoozy town with higher prices than Kuta or Legian but well worth the trip there. 8 days was too long for us. I was ready to get outta there on day 3 but we were meeting family there. Definitely do a rice field walk and get out and meet the locals.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed at Abangan a week, the pool, the breakfast on your own terrace, the staff, all was excellent. The room was really spacious, air con, hot water. The staff helped us with with activities in Ubud, you could book treks and day tours through the staff. The bungalows are located on the Ubud main road, really good location and the surroundings were really calm and beautiful. We were stunned with the room and the and the beautiful forest surrounding the bungalows. For 25 euros a night!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We went to Abangan with our 9 month old twins. We loved that it is close to downtown Ubud yet still feels like you aren't in the city. The people who worked the desk were great and always willing to help us and of course like most Indonesian's they loved holding our babies. That being said the room we stayed in (and the room they were going to put us in first) was not for a family with babies. The stairs to the bed room are very steep and the rails at the top were far apart so it would be easy for a child to slip through. We didn't feel like we could leave the babies alone during nap time so my husband and I were always with them while they slept. Also, our bathtub was pretty dirty. We felt like we couldn't sit down in the bathtub but you also couldn't stand up to use the shower part because there was no curtain. I think this would be a perfect place for backpackers though and the price is right! :)

Room Tip: For a family with small children choose a one level room instead of a private bungalow.
2  Thank hungrymama2010
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed Abangan 5days. arrived Bali Airport and went directly to Abangan. After 5 days I moved to Kuta. The same day checked out Abanga and move to Kuta I realized my cash around $500AU is missing!!!! I always lock myself out and even lock in sleeping. I leave my credit cards and cash in my suit case and lock it up. Where is the 500$?????coz this is only one place I have been!!!! I was furious. I drove myself to Ubud from Kuta by bike to confront them. The owner was passive, she gathered employee , they were just listening my complain and observe me!! They did nothing about this incident!!!! Why I am so certain about them stealing my money?? coz this is only one place I stayed and first day check in Abangan I exchanged Au to Rupia . and then i hid the rest money and credit cards in my suit case. Just think about it!!! When guest are out, the staffs are sneak in ur room and stealing ur money.Not all of urs!! just some!! so that they can get away with that. when I confront them as I expected no one was adimitted of stealing. the other thing is they didn't steal all my cash. they took a half of if. How smart is that????????Whoever read this I warn U not to go there. they might steal ur money not all. just some. coz who count money every dayhow much u spent it on the happy treveling ?? If U do count ur money U a safe! if U don't just pay more Go where safer honest person is working. Generally Baliness a really kind and friendly But. choosing Abangan as first accomadation was really big mistake! after all, I paid 5 star hotel price there, where thieves are working!! just disgusting!!!! by thinking of someone went through my stuff!!!! they ruined my bali holiday!!! It has to be them stealing!! If u don't care what happen to me I just wish ur luck. they a not gonna do this evey guest. but U might be next unlucky persen after me.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank HYUN C
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Value for money is the only way to describe this place. Slightly off the central market (but not more than 5 minutes' walk from the Ubud palace), this place is suitable for all kinds of travellers. The bunalows are clean and the place is well maintained by never tiring handful of staff. The only drawback is that there are not many options for food. The break-fast menu is pretty much fixed (so can get boring if you are staying for long) and there is hardly anything to eat during the rest of the day.

Having said that, this place is definitely reccomendable if someone's looking for a peaceful quite place adjacent to the central market. Most importantly, people are very helpful and jovial.

Room Tip: The further you walk from the reception, quieter rooms you get!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Honsinator
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Great place to stay. On the edge of rice fields, on a river lined with coconut trees. Great location. West end of main street, only a few minutes walk to Monkey Forest Rd. The only negative is our room was very dirty. Toilet was filthy. I cleaned myself when we first checked in. Other reviews say their rooms are clean, so it may have just been the person who cleaned (or didn't clean) our room. No fitness center, but beautiful walking paths in the rice fields from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple