“Reasonable value for money in central Ubud”

Puri Dalem Cottages
Puri Dalem Cottages
Ranked #181 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne
“Reasonable value for money in central Ubud”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

This place is in a good central location opposite the famous Dirty Duck Diner - it has only about 14 rooms set in a traditional bungalow style with rooms arranged in 2 upper and 2 lower room groups set around a Balinese garden and pool. Rooms were large and clean, including AC, TV, fridge, balcony, standard hotel bathroom. Staff were pleasant and helpful, but our 3 day stay was spoilt by a power outage (had to change rooms), water outages (no water at all for hours on two separate occasions), Hot water barely luke warm. However, our main concern was that there was no security at all and no staff to be found after 9pm when reception closed for the night. We felt a bit vulnerable as we only had a standard internal door with basic wafer lock between us and the outside world.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the back, further from the road noise and backing onto the rice paddy.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ray_R0b

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Nijmegen, Nederland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

We stayed in this place for one night because of bedbugs! The first impression is good: nice garden and swimming pool. Huge rooms and beds, although the bathroom looks dated and needs to be restored. The staff was also very nice.

Unfortunately we woke up in the middle of the night because of a terrible itch: bedbugs (room1)! After searching for half an hour we found staff who gave us another room. The next morning the staff apologized, but didn't do more to keep us checked in the place when we told them we wanted to check out. Too bad for them because if they responded to our offer to give us (a part of) the refund of last night, we were considering of staying in the other room for more nights.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wiesdenise

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

Sometimes I read reviews on Trip Advisir and I just despair... If I had read these reviews first I probably would have missed out on this great little find.

I arrived late at night & to save hassle just went where the taxi driver took me thinking I'll find something the next day as I had no booking. Bargain price quoted for one of the small rooms at the bottom overlooking the small fish pond and I thought not bad. Then I read these reviews and thought wow there must be some bargains to be had that are nicer than this.

I went to no less than 9 other places with pools. All rated higher on Trip Advisor. Some cheaper and some more expensive. Not one place I feel was as nice as Puri Dalem. Either facilities or rooms were not as nice or equal for a lot more money.

Location is excellent, right opposite large store that sells all you night need, next to a laundry if you don't want to pay hotel prices and a short walk to main street and an even shorter wall to the Monkey Forrest.

Grounds are lovely with a stone pool, three ponds and a wooden platform over one pond to sit and chill. Staff are constantly cleaning and say hello but also leave you alone. They speak English... Maybe some people just don't try to be understood.

Choice of breakfast and fruit juices and staff clean rooms every day regardless of what time you go out. They also top up your hot water jug and set out coffee etc on your private verandah which I thought was a nice touch.

No pink valance in my room and room spotless. Yes the bathroom was a bit dated and slightly moudly but for £23 a night I'm not expecting the ritz! I'm in the middle of the humid jungle... I expect a little bit of mildew! The room itself as I say was spotless, fresh towels and soap provided daily and my only grumble would be the mini bar fridge was a bit noisy and took a bit getting used to.

So on the whole I really can't complain for little over £20. I didn't make a booking so maybe benefited from a cheaper rate but I was shown larger rooms for more.

Having seen so many other places I can honestly say this is a cracker in it's price range and don't be put off by the reviews. I'm glad I wasnt.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Caledonia_Rach
The Hague, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Central location in ubud nicely located, view on the rice fields. And That 's it for the positive. Simple shabby rooms, some very close to street side. Smelly bathroom, dirty pool. No breakfast buffet, but eggs and toast served at the table. Disgusting. Pond with green algs. Decided to leave premature. I don't agree with those saying you get what you pay for. Usd45 a night is a very normal price in Indonesia and should give you access to 3 or 4 star hotels .. This place should be renovated and placed under new management .. To be avoided until then. Oh yeah no need to complain. Nobody speaks English whatsoever

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Erik L
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

I'm at a loss as to what people expect for $45AUD a night inc breakfast. If you want 5 star then pay for it. PD may not be perfect but they are trying hard.
The staff at Puri Dalem are helpful and 'Bali charming' and couldn't do enough for us.
The rooms were super clean - sure the furniture and fittings are a bit 'tired' but so what? for the price it is clean, secure, has a fridge and the a/c works - what more can you want? The breakfast was super fresh juice, omlette, fruit etc.
Close to excellent spas and only about 50 metres from the Yoga Barn which was the purpose of our trip. We'll definately go back.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank LindaFaz
Oceanside, ca.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

stayed at this hotel for one night (by accident actually), and couldnt wait to leave. The grounds were really beautiful but the rooms are just gross. We stayed the next night in a hotel on Monkey Forest road that was only about $10 more and a thousand times nicer.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

At only $60USD a night we thought it was a good deal. My 8 year old was a little shocked though - I'm afraid she's used to better quality. This place is good value if you are on a budget and in a great location. Right in town, you can walk everywhere, close to gret restaurants. It's just a bit old and tired. Our bathroom/toilet smelled a bit too which didn't help. Old pink satin valances around the beds, old curtains. the pool was clean but looked fairly ordinary. The grounds of Puri Dalem are lovely, nice gardens and quiet at night, which is a bonus in noisy UBUD town. I was reminded of my old backpacking days and thought how much I would have appreciated this place way back when. It's just our tastes are a bit more upmarket these days.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family