“Would not stay here again!”

Puri Dalem Cottages
Puri Dalem Cottages
Ranked #186 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Denver, Colorado
“Would not stay here again!”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I think this is one of those places you either love or hate. Reasons for me never staying here again; after killing 7 roaches I quit counting, the pillows smelled like sweat and were grey in color, the pillows & mattress were hard. There were those little, I called them, wood spiders. I always immediately took the bedspread off the bed. They seemed to loved that spread & bed frame. The bathroom was dirty. I bought bleach and started pouring it on the grout of the sink and floors, with a sponge I cleaned the tub tiles, the shower curtain had mold on the bottom of it and was to small for the size of the tub. When I made the deposit, one of the staff hollered at me. That should have been my 1st clue! I always worried about mosquitoes. There was a dirty pond w/stagnant water (I felt so sorry for the fish, the water was green) & when it rained the water gathered on the walkway in front of one of the rooms. There were only 5 lounge chairs for 12 rooms. The 12 rooms slept 30+ people. Really, they can't buy more? I think the biggest thing I did not like besides the roaches and dirty bathroom was their 'western' business attitude. It was all about the profit. Sad, very sad!
Positives; close to Coco Market, but always double check your receipt w/purchases! I was overcharged more than once. The pool, ac, tv. They did, for free, watch one of my suitcases while I went to Singapore. The grounds were well kept.
Suggestions; if you are not going to drink the water or beer in the frig, have them take it out of your room.

You can pay w/credit card, no matter what they say.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back are less expensive but they are dark and dirtier than the ones closer to the o...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jan C

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Kuantan, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

Although this hotel is small but the ambience and staff make it a hotel that is nice to stay in...the friendly staff make my stay a memorable one..its location just near the ubud market make it easier to just walk.you can also visit a lot of pura or temple as in ubud its nearer to the locals baliness

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank umiros
Corozal Town, Belize
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Stayed here on two separate occasion for a total of 9 nights. Very friendly and helpful staff and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. You want a scooter - they will arrange, you want a car, they will arrange, you want laundry done, well you get the picture. There is of course a slight premium going thru them but they deserve it. Only downside may be the showers - can't quite stand up as hose and head are too short. The price is very economical and even includes breakfast. The breakfast may be meagre but for a small fee you can ask for more. Overall for the money is a good choice and well located. Very good Indonesian restaurants - and very inexpensive - are only a short scooter ride away. Do recommend you go off the beaten track to experience good fare and interesting people. Oh and the pool has been renovated and is very refreshing. Good place to stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms have had upgrading so ask for one, same price. Upstairs rooms have a nice view.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ray M
Manchester
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

Myself and three others came to Bali to do a volunteer project and were placed in this hotel by the organisation we booked with, for our first 3 nights in Bali. I was apprehensive after reading other reviews on trip advisor, and am sorry to say they were fairly accurate. I have travelled a lot so this is by no means the worst place I have stayed, however for the price there are far nicer places to stay for the same money. The rooms were extremely basic and not very clean. The room my friends stayed in stank of damp and mould. You have to sit in the shower and the water slowed down to a trickle or went off completely on a number of occasions. There were no safes in the room, though there was a fridge and air con. The place looks ok at a glance, but it is not well maintained and the pool did not seem very clean. The breakfast was fruit, eggs and toast which was ok but not great. The staff were friendly but their English is very limited so if we ever asked for anything they didn't seem to understand e.g. When we needed more toilet roll in our room, and when our room didn't get cleaned. The location is good, quite near the monkey temple, and Ubud is great, but for the price there are much nicer places to stay elsewhere, and I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank ManchNic

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

West Java, Indonesia
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Its not fancy but I just enjoyed 2 times staying in this hotel, can't complain because is just worth with such a cheap price and the location is the best nearby coco supermarket, few steps to monkeys forest, atm, restaurant, laundry.
And the staff just adorable, one time me and my friend (we're both Indonesian) can't rent motorcycle anywhere, it was quiet frustating and make me so angry, most of the motor rental said they only rent motorcycle for foreigner. Then the Puri dalem staff gave us one and we may use it during our stay in Ubud.
I would stay here again, when I'm in ubud.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Quiet, relaxing place in the center of Ubud. This hotel has a beautiful garden design and nice view from the rooms to the garden and the pool. NIce big clean rooms with AC,TV, stable WIFI and huge beds. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We were brought to Puri Dalem by our taxi driver. We struck a good price deal (even better than the internet) in person, and started there. The staff are all smiling and sweet and helpful. The room was spacious, the bathrooms could use some updating. The roomy veranda with big bamboo chairs and table, gazes out to the ponds and gardens. Altogether a pleasant Balinese setting, with a good pool, for a bargain spot in the ever pricier Ubud, it struck an excellent balance of price and dwellability. Breakfast was brought daily to our veranda following our egg etc. orders. No mosquitos and a few features brought us back to Puri Dalem from places that were lux-er, newer, snappier and almost 50% more costly that we had wanted to love. But the good night's mosquito-less blackout-curtain sleep, and the cheery faces brought us back (and who can complain about the saving?) Incidentally but of note, the Gula Bali restaurant a few steps away is a great go-to dining spot with really super food at the best Ubud prices.
The Puri Dalem staff were happy to help with any questions, needs, or jaunts.
The place seemed to stay near capacity, as it should, because the value is there.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the ground floor rooms for the garden's adjacent and ease of entry.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family