“Love Murni's for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Murni's Warung

Murni's Warung
Ranked #75 of 720 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, View, Kids, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Murni, the owner of the equally famous Murni's Houses and Tamarind Spa, opened Ubud's first real restaurant in 1974 and it remains first in the hearts of many people today. The menu is varied and delicious and you can enjoy your drinks and meals and surf the Web using the free WiFi on one of four levels overlooking the river. Level 1: When you enter Murni's Warung, the first thing you'll notice is the view of the greenery on the river's hillside. The steel cable in the foreground supports the bridge next door. On the way to your table, you'll walk past a display cabinet of cakes and pastries that you should take a look at -- just so you'll know how much room to save for dessert. The restaurant is decorated with art from Murni's collection, including the small carvings high on the walls. Level 2: The large statue of Ganesha, the Elephant God, that greets you in the Lounge Bar was commissioned in 1997 and completed in early 2002. He and Murni are about the same height. This is a great place to have cocktails or meet friends for a drink. You can also eat here. Level 3: We generally reserve this level for parties, wedding receptions and birthday parties or when the Warung is overflowing. It can seat about 50-60 people. Level 4: And finally you arrive just above the river. You'll enjoy the sound of flowing water with your candlelit dinner in the midst of exotic surroundings. Murni's Warung Shop is a good place to wander in while you are waiting for your meal. And enjoy our books, Forty Delicious Years and Secrets of Bali.
Adelaide, Australia
“Love Murni's for lunch”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Murni's for lunch is becoming a bit of a pilgrimage for us when we're in Ubud.
We like to take friends there for the lovely atmosphere of the lower level by the river.
We always order the same old favourites (share chicken sate for entree, mie goreng and aussie burger for mains) and they did not disappoint.
Lots of flavour in the sate sauce and possibly one of the best mie gorengs going around. Very nice (and quite large).
One of our party ordered a steak which he said was horrible (fatty, chewy and gristly) and couldn't eat it. Immediately the staff whisked it away to replace it with a different meal of choice.
Excellently handled I thought, and how it should be.
If you're reading this Murni, have a word to your meat supplier.
......and see you next year.

Murni W, Owner at Murni's Warung, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for making Murni's for lunch a bit of a pilgrimage and bringing your friends. I'm happy that you like the lovely atmosphere. See you next year.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
“A great little spot”
Reviewed 1 June 2012

An unexpected treat. Fabulous food and a great view at lunch drew us back for dinner as well. Try the sate selection and make sure you go to the very bottom level.

Visited May 2012
Murni W, Owner at Murni's Warung, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Thank you for writing and coming to Murni's Warung for both lunch and dinner. I'm pleased to read that the food was fabulous and you liked the great view.

Singapore
“Worth a visit!”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

My wife and I went to Murni's Warung for lunch. We liked the traditional decor and the ambiance of the restaurant. There are 3 storeys and we had our lunch on the second where we found it a bit more private. Service staff was great.

We had chicken sate, balinese duck rice and chicken curry. All were well prepared and tasty. Final bill worked out to RP230,000 including drinks, which is pretty standard in Bali these days.

Murni W, Owner at Murni's Warung, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for visiting is. I'm delighted that you liked the traditional decor and the ambiance of the restaurant and that the prices are standard. I hope that you can return.

Perth, Australia
“A feast”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I have visited Murni's many times over the years. Both Indonesian and international meals are excellent. I loved my Strawberry Juice and the view over the chasm. We had a wonderful time but ate far more than was good for us!!!

Visited May 2012
Murni W, Owner at Murni's Warung, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Thank you for coming so often over the years. I'm delighted that you find both the Indonesian and international meals to be excellent. Please keep coming back.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

What a lovely setting by the old bridge and river. The restaurant is over three levels and I recommend going down to the bottom level closest to the river (still fairly high up though) which was by far the most scenic. The staff are very friendly and service was fast, I loved my refreshing lime drink. I had Nasi Campur which was about £3 and whilst more expensive than elsewhere it was very tasty and the surroundings are wonderful.

Murni W, Owner at Murni's Warung, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
I'm very happy that you liked the beautiful setting and the food and drink and that staff were very friendly and service was fast. I know it's a long way from Newcastle, but I hope that you can return. Thank you for coming.