“Unclean, broken - Go elsewhere.”

Garden View Cottage
Ranked #150 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Brisbane, Australia
“Unclean, broken - Go elsewhere.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Well as per my previous review my expectations were high. Way too high. I was so disappointed with this place that I cut short my stay. Where do I start! The overhead fan was broken so had to use the air-conditioner that only had an on or off setting, no just fan. The bed had a piece of plywood under the mattress that creaked and cracked every time you moved. There was a power point hanging dangerously out of the wall in the bathroom. Black mould around the shower and the toilet looked and smelt like it had never been touched with bleach! Forget the in room wifi, if you can get a connection to even send an email you are winning. This sends you down to pay for the computers in the foyer. Pluses ... The gardens are beautiful. The property is set right back from the road. The staff are all very friendly and likeable. This just did not weigh in against the negatives for me. Very disappointed.

Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Steve JW R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Czech first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is a pre stay post. I thought I would share my experiences before checkin, my perceptions before and then compare with my actual experience. I found the Garden View on Trip Advisor. I was looking for a quiet place close to the Ubud sanctuary that I will be attending for three weeks. I was looking for an economical place to say and I believe this bungalow ticks the boxes without sacrificing comfort. I will share more as my stay in Ubud progresses, further to my experiences in Singapore.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This is a nice little hotel with rooms with rooms with air conditioning, free wifi and friendly staff, The Bath room was old, but things was working. There was a nice view form the room, that had a small balcony. The Hotel had a nice little pool, It server a nice breakfirst and was a good hotel considering the price :o)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mikkel S
seward
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

No roosters so the mornings are quiet. Breakfast is great. Staff is superb. Rainy season makes the pool a little murky. Other than that its all you need to relax in a tropical paradise. Not a lot of traffic and off the main tourist paths so you don't get hassled like most of Ubud.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I stayed for 5 days in October. I love to stay in the Nyuh Kuning area. It is a beautiful walk into Ubud and away from all the business. Because I booked in the last minute, not much was available during this time, so I ended up in Garden View. The Balcony and the view were great.The room was ok. The bathroom was terrrible.I dont know why, but in general the place had a sad feeling to it and needs an Uplift. The staff was nice.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ingrid M
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I just spend my holiday in Ubud and found this hotel. It’s a peaceful place very close to monkey forest and surrounded by rice farm. So I can take a walk just 5 minutes to monkey forest, 10 minutes ubud palace, everything seem close from this hotel . Many old trees around nyuh kuning makes this place green and natural. I think the hotel is just renovated, I love the new clean room and the bathroom also. They have open style bathroom with garden looks clean and luxurious.
I like the breakfast, in the first day they server banana pancake with honey and lemon and in the next morning they offer black rice pudding with brown sugar and young coconut. Good breakfast.
Close the hotel there is Laka Leke restaurant with green garden and nice view, good choice to lunch and dinner, I recommend to try their frayed crispy duck, the hotel staff tell me this is their famous menu.
Three nights stay on this hotel the staff is very friendly. One of them offer us to join the tours to kintamani, so we go to Kintamani and seeing the coffee plantation, lake batur and the dance performance. I love this place

Room Tip: Bungalow with 2 floor good for family
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank John C
Lecce, Italy
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed for two nights in a new cottage. The older ones are being renovated, but were far, so we were not bothered by the noise. We had a whole cottage for us, as we were 4 persons. The bedroom upstairs had a fantastic view on the rice paddies. The living room on the groundfloor was spacious, but we didn't use it at all, because we preferred to stay in the small garden and in the porch with our friends. The staff was friendly but the breakfast not so rich. We chose this accomodation when we were already in Ubud and after visiting it, and we were very satisfied for the comfort and the price. I loved the swimming pool lapis lazuli.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends