“Ask and it shall be given - or not”

Garden View Cottage
Ranked #143 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Singapore, Singapore
“Ask and it shall be given - or not”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I learnt fairly quickly that I have to ask for the things I want to make my stay at Garden View Cottages more pleasant. Travelling alone, I'm on a budget and I booked this hotel due to its proximity to the Monkey Forest, free wifi in the room and pool. Not that I planned to go into the Forest, but I wanted to be near the shops and spas in that area. It turned out I had to walk through the Monkey Forest where the wild and fierce monkeys reside in order to reach Hanoman Road and Monkey Forest Road. Which is all right when it's bright in the day and I'm not carrying any bags, especially food. It's totally dark in there after sunset so I'd to fork out cash for a ride through it on a motorbike. If you don't fancy a two-wheeler, you can take a car instead but the journey becomes 3x as long for the roads that are wide enough. As for the pool, I ended up only using it once as I wanted to tan but it's not conducive for that.
About the room...
The Good: spacious, fully adjustable air-con working well, fan, big comfortable bed, extra cushions, wall mirror, desk, mini frigerator, roomy balcony with day bed and table/chair set, drying rack, toilet flushes well, fresh bath towels every day, bottled water when first checked in
The Bad: hot water in bathroom runs on gas and it ran out on my first night there; no service staff at hotel after 10.30pm at night so no one could do anything about it, my sink was probably choked as the water drained extremely slowly, bath tub has stains (which I learnt to ignore) and no shower curtain so I get the bathroom wet all the time which was ok for me since I was alone; no telephone line to the reception so I had to walk down from my 2nd-storey room to the front desk each time I needed anything.
There was a collection of dead and half-dead insects in my bathroom and in the balcony on my first day but since I asked the service staff, I only see the odd one or two. My bin also got emptied every day after I asked for it; it wasn't after the first cleaning. I learnt that there is only one huge thermos flask to keep water hot so when I requested hot water for drinking and to make tea in the room, I got a small pot instead, which would cool pretty quickly so I learnt to drink it fast too. The wifi didn't work on the second morning but was ok after I informed the staff about it. Only small bars of soap are provided so you'd need to bring your own shampoo, etc. There are no face/hand towels and no shower cap even when I asked for them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank iCool777

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 12 October 2013

As a young couple needing a cheap escape this was perfect for us. The shower was working with hot water and thats all we wanted! The air conditioner was great and the hotel in a quiet street away from the motorbike noise of the main streets. Fresh towels and flowers everyday with a great view. The hotel is very quiet which added to the feeling of having a private get-away. Loved it!

Room Tip: Book an upstairs room and dont walk back to the hotel through the monkey forest at night
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sardevil
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed at Garden view because I like this area of Ubud, but truthfully the places I really wanted to be were booked. This is an OK hotel. It could be a lot better if only the bathrooms were up to standard. The staff are all really lovely and friendly, and seem to enjoy their jobs. The hotel is older, but has a good swimming pool and beautiful grounds with lots of mature trees and gorgeous flowers. The second-floor room was quite nice, and the large balcony with daybed and jungle view was private and relaxing, however the bathrooms could be much better and cleaner. Very weak water pressure, no shower curtain, a grungy tub, and a dirty drain in the corner of the floor were all unappealing. It’s too bad, because otherwise this is a nice place to stay. The rest of the room seemed relatively clean. It’s fairly cheap, but for just a little bit more there are superior options elsewhere. If you’re not picky about bathrooms and want to be in this area, it’s not the worst you could do in Ubud.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Taryn M
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Well as per my previous review my expectations were high. Way too high. I was so disappointed with this place that I cut short my stay. Where do I start! The overhead fan was broken so had to use the air-conditioner that only had an on or off setting, no just fan. The bed had a piece of plywood under the mattress that creaked and cracked every time you moved. There was a power point hanging dangerously out of the wall in the bathroom. Black mould around the shower and the toilet looked and smelt like it had never been touched with bleach! Forget the in room wifi, if you can get a connection to even send an email you are winning. This sends you down to pay for the computers in the foyer. Pluses ... The gardens are beautiful. The property is set right back from the road. The staff are all very friendly and likeable. This just did not weigh in against the negatives for me. Very disappointed.

Stayed September 2013
6 Thank Steve JW R

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

This is a pre stay post. I thought I would share my experiences before checkin, my perceptions before and then compare with my actual experience. I found the Garden View on Trip Advisor. I was looking for a quiet place close to the Ubud sanctuary that I will be attending for three weeks. I was looking for an economical place to say and I believe this bungalow ticks the boxes without sacrificing comfort. I will share more as my stay in Ubud progresses, further to my experiences in Singapore.

Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This is a nice little hotel with rooms with rooms with air conditioning, free wifi and friendly staff, The Bath room was old, but things was working. There was a nice view form the room, that had a small balcony. The Hotel had a nice little pool, It server a nice breakfirst and was a good hotel considering the price :o)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Mikkel S
seward
Reviewed 17 December 2012 via mobile

No roosters so the mornings are quiet. Breakfast is great. Staff is superb. Rainy season makes the pool a little murky. Other than that its all you need to relax in a tropical paradise. Not a lot of traffic and off the main tourist paths so you don't get hassled like most of Ubud.

• Stayed December 2012