I learnt fairly quickly that I have to ask for the things I want to make my stay at Garden View Cottages more pleasant. Travelling alone, I'm on a budget and I booked this hotel due to its proximity to the Monkey Forest, free wifi in the room and pool. Not that I planned to go into the Forest, but I wanted to be near the shops and spas in that area. It turned out I had to walk through the Monkey Forest where the wild and fierce monkeys reside in order to reach Hanoman Road and Monkey Forest Road. Which is all right when it's bright in the day and I'm not carrying any bags, especially food. It's totally dark in there after sunset so I'd to fork out cash for a ride through it on a motorbike. If you don't fancy a two-wheeler, you can take a car instead but the journey becomes 3x as long for the roads that are wide enough. As for the pool, I ended up only using it once as I wanted to tan but it's not conducive for that.
About the room...
The Good: spacious, fully adjustable air-con working well, fan, big comfortable bed, extra cushions, wall mirror, desk, mini frigerator, roomy balcony with day bed and table/chair set, drying rack, toilet flushes well, fresh bath towels every day, bottled water when first checked in
The Bad: hot water in bathroom runs on gas and it ran out on my first night there; no service staff at hotel after 10.30pm at night so no one could do anything about it, my sink was probably choked as the water drained extremely slowly, bath tub has stains (which I learnt to ignore) and no shower curtain so I get the bathroom wet all the time which was ok for me since I was alone; no telephone line to the reception so I had to walk down from my 2nd-storey room to the front desk each time I needed anything.
There was a collection of dead and half-dead insects in my bathroom and in the balcony on my first day but since I asked the service staff, I only see the odd one or two. My bin also got emptied every day after I asked for it; it wasn't after the first cleaning. I learnt that there is only one huge thermos flask to keep water hot so when I requested hot water for drinking and to make tea in the room, I got a small pot instead, which would cool pretty quickly so I learnt to drink it fast too. The wifi didn't work on the second morning but was ok after I informed the staff about it. Only small bars of soap are provided so you'd need to bring your own shampoo, etc. There are no face/hand towels and no shower cap even when I asked for them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Garden view cottage Ubud offers a wide green view of rice terrace to hide out and rest. We are located in the traditional village of Nyuh Kuning. Only 10 minutes to the monkey forest, shopping area, and restaurants of Ubud. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Garden View Cottage reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Garden View Cottage Hotel Ubud
- Garden View Cottage Ubud, Bali