Review of Bebek Bengil

Ranked #335 of 848 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Bebek Bengil was recommended to me by some tourists, so - since this crispy duck is apparently Balinese speciality - I decided to try it. The place itself is very spacious, with tables inside and outside set in a nice garden.

I ordered indeed this crispy duck, but I cannot say it was my favourite Balinese food. Quite dry, not too much meat inside. But ok - I don't know how it should be prepared, I did not taste this crispy duck in any other places so it's hard for me to assess whether it was well prepared.

You have to eat this duck with your hands, but the restaurant does not provide any wet tissues, or anything to clean your hands after.

What I definitly did not like was the service. They did not seem very friendly or professional,rather annoyed and with fake smiles (if any). When I finished my meal, I was waiting 10 minutes for someone to clean the table (and they did only, because I asked for it). Nobody asked if I wanted dessert, they all looked bored, not smiling. It seemed like if someone forced them to work in this place. 7% service is included in the bill (because otherwise probably nobody would tip them), but after I gave the money and was expecting some rest, it took them a long time to bring this money back - probably they were expecting I would leave and give them higher tip. Also, I was supposed to pay 193 200 rupias - I got only 6000 rupias back. I don't care about this 800, it's nothing, and I'm quite generous while tipping, but in most restaurants I would have received 7000 (and then I would leave them this money anyway).

I would not come back to this place anymore, and I'm pretty sure that other restaurants serve the crispy duck at least of the same quality if not better.

BebekBengil, Manager at Bebek Bengil, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Ms Nati,

We are writing in reference to the feedback that you posted. We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention.

At BebekBengil we strive to provide an excellent Balinese hospitality experience to our guests. We apologize, as this was not the case on your last visit at our restaurant. We have communicated your comment to our staff. Through your feedback we can improve our quality of service to our patrons.

Please be assured that your experience doesn't reflect our usual high standards, therefore we would like to thank you for your time in bringing this to our attention.
we understand that the discount and an apology will never be able to change the disappointment of our customers.
We promise to improve the quality of our service and what may happen is a very valuable experience for the future, of course we should be more cautious and more conscientious in all things

Once more, we apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We hope to welcome you back at BebekBengil in the near future for a second chance.

Sincerely yours

Write a ReviewReviews (2,276)

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

To be frank, my hubby and I was not very awed by the duck dishes. Not that it is not good but the duck is so crispy until there is not much meat left on it! I had the famous smoked duck dish which usually needs a day in advance for booking. However, they do have that in a small portion with the rice dish which according to the waiter is the same thing as the famous smoked duck but in a smaller portion.
We had beautiful crispy duck in Germany before thus this meal did not wow us as we expected. Another downside is that the place is full of tourist tour groups. We are initally sit away from the tour groups as we came early for dinner. However, halfway through our meal, a group of chinese tourist insisted in sitting in the same area as us cos' there are fans and there is only 2 of us there even though the waiter wanted to being them to somewhere else. (There are actually fans everywhere maybe except for the private dining hall where usually reaervation are required.)That kind of spoilt the evening cos' they are pretty noisy during the dinner.
Other than that, the place is nice for picture taking and you can see farmers bringing the ducks out for a walk.. I am wondering are they the ones we are having on our tables?

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We went there looking for smoked duck. It was very disappointing to get there and receive a negative for the duck. Since you have to order it 24 hour in advance we were not able to try it. The other dishes we had were good. Average good!

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Location of the restaurant was nice, we just having lunch with sawah view, it was fantastic. the quality of food are good, bebek and the ribs must try.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Famous place but when visited for lunch, we found the speciality (crispy duck) very average.
Quite expensive.
Nice layout with the ricefield in the middle of the restaurant and small huts for more privacy.
Seems to be on the asian guides as most customers are coming for "genuine local food".

Been to Bebek Bengil? Share your experiences!