“Cheesy looking design, awful looking lobby, GREAT room”

The Palais Dago Hotel
Ranked #101 of 230 Hotels in Bandung
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Cheesy looking design, awful looking lobby, GREAT room”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My title looks a bit confusing perhaps for some. Well, let me explain a bit. The exterior of the hotel, for me is a bit too much. It is not a big hotel, and going with the high domes, Capitol building like design is a bit too much. It is a bit like the tacky houses of the nouveau riche Indonesians would have.

Yet, I was surprised when I entered the room. It is very comfy, modern design and it is very spacious, the shower is very big that I felt it is a bit of a waste to only have a shower in there. The bathroom should have a large whirlpool tub to make use of all of the space in there. One thing that I don't like about the room is the tiny TV. The room I was staying in only use a 21 inch LCD TV. C'mon, the room is almost 25meter square and you only put a 21 inch TV in it? You have to squint your eyes to watch the TV due to its smallness.

Bed was comfortable and the cable internet was very fast. The location itself is nice. It is on the Dago main road, with shops and restaurants within walking distance.

The downside:
My room wasn't cleaned up at all on the 2nd day. I admit that I have forgotten to put the 'Clean My Room' sign on the door, yet in other hotels, this has never been an issue before.
Breakfast was awful for my taste. Selection was very limited and the quality is so so. On the 2nd day I didn't bother to eat breakfast and go next door to have a decent local rice dishes instead.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank LiverpoolFans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I wish I'd noticed TA reviews on this hotel earlier. Having actually stayed there, would be in a better position to write a review that's presumably fairer.

Palais Dago is a boutique hotel. The hotel is along a busy street but the building that houses the rooms is towards the back of structure so the rooms are free of traffic noise. Within walking distance to many of the Dago FOs so location is great.

The rooms are lovely - we were very pleasantly surprised. We stayed in a regular room. It was well-appointed, much better than many of the 4 / 4.5 stars hotels that we've stayed in, especially at that price. The photos of the hotel website do not do it justice. The real thing was way better. The bathroom was large, and the hotels keeps it well stocked with amenities - the most I've ever come across in any hotel. Everything came in two sets for both room occupants and they refilled it everyday. The bed was one of the best I've slept in. It was so comfortable and made it very difficult to get up and leave the room in the morning.

Hotel breakfast wasn't extensive but was more than adequate. The porridge set they served was the best I've ever had. It came with an assortment of stuff to add to the porridge and it was very yummy. We had dinner there on two nights and the food was good and inexpensive. The service was great. Every one we came across tried their best to accommodate us. On one of the nights when we were there, we were really tired, the staff noticed and asked whether we'd prefer to have our meals delivered to our room instead. Unless you order room service in other hotels, you simply don't get that kind of service.

Hotel staff willingly and happily called our cabs when we needed them. They bent over backwards to accommodate us. Hotel provided airport transfer both ways. On the day we departed, we'd checked out, but wanted to do a bit of shopping in Jln Riau area (not within walking distance) and leave for the airport from Jln Riau. They actually arranged for the our bags to be loaded into the the airport transfer car and had the driver pick us up from an arranged meeting point at Jln Riau to take us to the airport. That saved us the trouble of making our way back to the hotel.

We booked a package available from the hotel website - every 2 nights for IDR1,050,000 so it's well worth it so make sure you stay in multiples of 2 nights.

When we were there, they'd just started the hotel massage service. I didn't try it so no clue whether it's any good but it's great that it's available. Very convenient.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mymoo
Indonesia
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We didn't stayed at this hotel since it was fully booked but we did try to get a room her. We actually kind of relief the was no room available (it was long weekend and the room available at hotel mostly the suit room) because the reception area somehow looks chessy and it had a smoke smell so bad! This hotel supposed to be new, the outside exterior was stunning.. but once you get to their lobby it feel like a cheap smelly hotel.. I won't try again to come to this hotel especially w small children for the smoke smell and some giant China pot around..

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank chinggu
kuala lumpur
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Need I say more....... the place is just nicely located, quiet & the rooms!!!!! They're great. It's a boutique hotel hence limited number of rooms. Ideal for a small entourage, advance booking is advisable. The hotel is just about 6-7 months old.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends