“Not quite reaching it own standards”

The Valley Resort Hotel
Ranked #1 of 311 Bandung B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Not quite reaching it own standards”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Review Of The Valley Resort Hotel Bandung.

First thing is the location. The Valley resort is located to the South side of Bandung city and is around 30-45 minutes from Bandung airport (depending on the traffic).

The location itself is quiet however there is not much in terms of immediate facilities i.e. shops etc once you are at the Valley itself. According to the locals taxis can be hard to come by, particularly at peak periods and during holidays, so maybe it is best to get a card from one of the drivers who may pick you up from the airport. The hotel advertises airport pick up however the hotel cars were "fully booked" so instead we had to get a taxi from the airport to the hotel. There is simply no other way. I found this a bit annoying although I did give pretty short notice.

The hotel is designed as something of an "all in resort" and is aimed more at the Indonesian market than the overseas tourist. My impression that it is aimed at families etc coming from nearby Jakarta and as a getaway from the hustle and bustle of Jakarta. Therefore I would be somewhat reluctant to recommend this hotel for short city breaks to Bandung.

Once onsite there are numerous activities ranging from a swimming pool, business centre to a fitness centre and even a bird park. Please check the hotel website for full details (there are lots of things to keep you and the children entertained). On a down side some of the facilities i.e. the pool for example close at ridiculously early hours. The pool closes very early at 1900, which is actually very annoying of you spent the day like us climbing up and down the surrounding volcanos with the intention of relaxing once we got back to the hotel. No can do as the pool was closed at 1900.

The room (we booked a double superior) was very generous in terms of size but as the complex was actually MASSIVE we found that climbing flights of stairs and using a lift just to get back to the lobby / dining area is a bit of a nuisance especially on warm days. The room themselves as mentioned was spacious, and had the usually trimmings (mini-bar), tv, air con etc. The bed was quite comfortable but much annoyance there is NO FREE WIFI IN THE BEDROOMS only in the common areas like the restuarant, lobby etc. If the hotel can provide free login codes for the common areas this could also be available in the bedrooms as well.

The bathroom was a pretty decent size, but we found that the shower had at best LUKE WARM water on 4 of the 5 occasions we used it. The shower curtain was short, meaning there was a lot of splash water on the bathroom floor once we completed showering. There was also a more serious issue regarding ANTS in the immediate sink area, which could not have gone unnoticed by housekeeping so bug spray was needed to keep the little critters away. This I found to be a very disappointing.

Our room included breakfast both mornings in the hotel dining area and found it to be a lot better than what we expected. Buffet style with mainly local Indonesian cuisine but also some Western style dishes such as made to order omelettes etc.

There are two restaurants on site. One is a Roof Cafe and terrace this served local Indonesian cuisine at what looked like relatively decent prices but it closed at 2030 so we were too late for dinner. The second was the on site Valley Bistro restaurant which offered Western, Japanese and Oriental dining. The prices by Indonesian standards was expensive and the food was of average quality. However the lack of a smoking and non-smoking areas in the nice outdoor seating area was very annoying and unfortunately the service was at best average, although numerous staff the service was quite poor with food not coming at the same time and 5 minute wait between my food and my girlfriends food arriving. Again this was frustrating.

Overall we enjoyed our stay but unfortunately this hotel is aiming for 5* star and it just falls short in too many areas. It is not as bad as 3 / 5 and not as good as 4 / 5 so I think that 3.5/5 is sufficient. As I said it is just aiming to be something it is not and a combination of minor annoyances have caused me to drop the grade I am awarding.

In Summary
The Good
Quiet resort with lots of activities
Large comfortable bedroom
Excellent buffet breakfast
Friendly and Helpful Hotel staff

The Bad
Long walk from bedrooms to lobby / restaurant
Early closing times for some hotel activities i.e pool area at 1900
Isolated location but no airport pick up available
No free bedroom WiFi
Ants in Bathroom
Expensive restaurant. Average Food. Poor service
No smoking / non smoking areas in the restaurant

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms 301 - 310 (Approx) .... Long walk to lobby
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Huffaduff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel was quite nice and clean. Food is ok at quite elevated price. My kids enjoyed so much the horse riding. Theres a trampolin in the kids playground. Jacuzi near the pool.awesome mountain scenery from the balcony. One of my fave place.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Iwan K
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my family in mid 2013. I got a promo price so it was good value for me. It was a nice simple boutique hotel with a top quality restaurant and great view.
PROS:
- The location and the view were definitely the hotel's top asset. Watching the sunset and skyline from my room with a cup of coffee in my hand was perfect
- The restaurant is one of the best in Bandung. People come here not only for the view but also for the top quality food & beverages they serve. You should try their coffee, the macchiato was the best I've ever had, Starbucks should learn much from them
- The breakfast was superb, not surprising considering the restaurant name & rating
- The room was actually average, quite small but the furniture were cute antiquities. The big plus was the balcony, and by all means the view. If not because of the bathroom, I would have given it an excellent rating
CONS:
- The elevator was very limited, and I had to go through many stairs. Could be troublesome if you had a baby and had to bring stroller
- The bathroom is very small and dark. Maybe they want to add an ethnic atmosphere, but it scared my kid
- The pool was too small, and they didn't provide towels for the pool
- There was a small playground at the hotel area, but the main playground was way below the hotel and we couldn't walk there
- The check in time was exacerbating. I came at 12.30 and I was expecting to be able to enter the room at least at 13.00, but I had to wait up until 13.45 before I could enter the room. They said the room had to be cleaned first. Luckily I could wait at the restaurant and enjoyed the view. They really need to improve their service time management

Overall it was nice for me and my family, I certainly would go back if I got another promo price hehe:)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Escape from the city jungle and spending time in the upper side of Bandung was fantastic and The Valley Resort is an answer to that. If you traveling in couples, you can request the room name Ilalang, its like a 2 story room, the bedroom is on the 2nd floor and have balcony. During night you able to see the lights of Bandung City its romantic and fantastic view.
Actually the resort is same location with the Valley Resto which was the first Building. The food on breakfast really nice, they have many choices of bread and pastry. But if on Saturday if you want to have dinner at the restaurant, you should make a reservation first due to many guest queue.
My fiance and i have really wonderful service from the hotel and time spending at the resort.

Room Tip: Ilalang Room is best for couple.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hunny0202
Reviewed 9 January 2014 via mobile

Booked the resort from Agoda as referred by TripAdvisor, I stayed here for 2 days (Jan 5th-7th) with families of parents, brothers and sisters, plus kids, we had 5 Deluxe Balcony type, and 1 Premier type.

Here is a brief great things about this resort. It was located up on the hill that you could see the city of bandung, view was more fabulous at night. Great outdoor activities for kids such as golf driving, horse riding, wall climbing and flying fox. Restaurant design was like a 5 star with very well prepared foods. Karaoke room is big and pleasant.

Overall this hotel is beautiful, but there was 1 significant and disappointing issue for all of us, problem was the bathroom, all of 5 Deluxe Balcony given "DIDN'T HAVE" that "BATHUB" as stated in Agoda (see room facilities). We found that it was like a "Cheating" to all of us, and very very disappointing.

Hopefully this information could be useful for other viewers or visitors, and most impotantly for the owner (to kindly correct the issue).

M. Shaviq Ibrahim

Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Calpidie
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Do you want to go to the place which is romantic but not to far from central city, this is your place :) It's old place in dago atas, I have know it since I was a senior high school student. They have resort and cafe. Dago atas is famous with its cafe like lisung, sierra, stone cafe and many more

1. The view from the room is romantic city light and valley view
2. I Like the apple pie and poffertjes with ice cream in their romantic cafe
3. The room is unique, old but good maintance, I suggest you choose bamboo room if you like the traditional one. They have other modern room too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LydYosh
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I was on a family vacation. I think my overall stay here is quite nice, but overpriced.

The Valley is famous for its beautiful view of the restaurant, and is one of the most crowded restaurant in Bandung. The Valley Resort Hotel is located just below the restaurant. There is an elevator to the lobby, but my room is quite far from the lobby, so I had to take 2 elevators to get to my room. The room is okay, and it is clean. But, the room's design is average. The atmosphere of the room is very good, but I think the room is overpriced. There is a balcony, and the view is nice. It's a relaxing place to stay. The room service is quite good, but it took a long time to deliver the foods to my room. The first breakfast is not very good, because there are only few guests at the hotel, the breakfast was not buffet. So, the varieties of breakfast is limited, as I must follow their breakfast menu. But, the second breakfast was a buffet breakfast. The are more varieties of food, but not very much. When I stayed at the hotel, I got coupons for driving range and park, so I think that is one of the hotel's advantage. The other advantage is the location of the hotel. There are many restaurants near the hotel, so it is not hard to find foods. Its is also not so hard to find the hotel too.

So, I found that this hotel is very good, but overpriced for me. I would recommend this hotel to people who wants to have a relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family