Splendid Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$63
US$40
US$37
US$27
US$26
All reviewsfried ricenasi gorengtugu hotelcolonial mansionbits and pieceshot waterrooms are largetrain stationalun alunreasonable pricemalang citydutchvintageacangkotbathtubtaxi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 November 2012

I arrived quite late and had no problems at check-in, however my boyfriend was meeting me and when he arrived he was told he couldn't stay because we weren't married. He came to my room anyway, but security repeatedly called my room. So he just left. As for the room, it was full of mosquitoes. The power went off several times. The room was clean, but really outdated and I couldn't pull the curtains all the way shut. The only positive was its location--right next to Hotel Tugu.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kitovu
Reviewed 22 July 2012 via mobile

It's exactly as described in the other reviews - handy location for sightseeing and near the train station but also on a major round about with absolutely no noise insulation. The rooms are effectively open as the top of the windows have no glass, just moskito nets. You can therefore hear the traffic as if you are camping on the road.
Rooms are very large and we had some lovely hot water on the first night ( but not on the subsequent ones).
Best tip is to go for dinner at next door's Tugu - not as expensive as it looks and absolutely amazing food.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed 2 nights in this hotel. There is a smell of old furnitures and sheets in the room but it's really big and it costs around 20 dollars only for a single person including breakfast. The staff is very polite, english speaking and very helpful at all times. It's not a fancy hotel but I still recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel needs an renovation badly. The bathroom was old and we must call for hot water. The swimming pool was very dirty.

Room Tip: Ask a room with airco.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I guess one of the best thing from Splendid inn is its location. Next to Tugu Hotel ( with only one third the price) and facing one of Malang's photogenic spot. The Town Hall, the Tugu statue, with big old trees surrounding the area.

The hotel itself, I didn't find it appealing. Yes, it has kept its antique touch to the point it seemed like it had never been cleaned..
I instantly disliked the interior atmosphere. Totally creeping me out. Don't get me wrong, I DO like clean, well taken care - vintage and old school atmosphere.
Not to mention lazy front staff.

Seriously, the front area was creepy, to the point it felt like there were some ghosts ready to jump on me.

I can't comment whether the price was worth it or not. I've had brighter experience, with less than IDR. 250k in other hotel in Malang.

Yes, some said it had successfully kept its art deco feels. But when I got there, it was covered with messiness, darkness, unnecessary decorations and painting.

The room itself was a mash of 1920's and 1960's atmosphere. Unfortunately, in a dusty, run down way.

Some people might love this hotel.
Me finding it's a bit too dark and heavy to my taste.

If you love super old, art deco-ish, unorganized vintage/ retro atmosphere, Give this hotel a try

Room Tip: There are two areas of rooms. One in the front area, were art deco-ish. Another in the back area. Ask the staffs to show them for you..If they're not too lazy, though..
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple