“a very satisfying services from the staffs”

The Grand Palace Hotel Malang
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Malang
Jakarta, Indonesia
“a very satisfying services from the staffs”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

It's a hotel with a very Renaissance feeling. Even the sink and closet looks like custom made. We stayed in Executive room on the first floor and got a nice view to the garden and fish pond from our balcony. Too bad that the room is not very big, but since I just traveled with my husband, it's okay. But if we brought a small child, it could be a bit of problem.

At first we were going to rent a car, but after talking to one of the staff, he said that we could rent his bike instead. Great, that's what we wanted actually. They also gave us recommendation on various spot that's great for taking pictures.

The breakfast was a standard of three stars hotel. But there's a nice addition of free afternoon tea time with traditional snacks.

Location wise, it's very strategic. You could reach Alun-alun, Masjid Jami, and Church by walking around 10 minutes. There's also Sarinah (if you want to buy ethnic souvenirs), fastfood restaurant, and many traditional food stalls.

Room Tip: Choose executive room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tsukisuki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Indonesian first
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed at the Grand Palace Hotel for one night with my partner. We stayed in an Executive suite. The room was not particularly large however it was very nicely decorated and very clean and comfortable. The whole hotel is based on a Romanesque theme with columns and other decorative features but done in a classy way. It's a quality establishment.
Breakfast was included in the price. It's an Indonesian breakfast; which means there's rice, noodles, vegetables, chicken and omelets served.
The hotel is located in the city centre and therefore is close to everything in Malang.
Whilst I loved the hotel, Malang itself is nothing to rave home about.

Room Tip: The Superior and Deluxe rooms are probably better value for money than the Executive. The only diffe...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas P
usa
Reviewed 21 April 2013

A few weeks after my first review, one of the hotel staff contacted me to apologize and offer a complimentary hotel room. It was very nice of them and I did not expect that , and I appreciated that :)
In the hotel, the manager welcomed us during our breakfast and he kindly apologized again in person. He was such a nice gentleman.

The room we stayed in was MUCH better than the one we had before. Only there was a small issue with the bathroom and it was fine with us.

Their breakfast should have more options and higher quality of food, especially for the hotel rooms prices they offer.

Thank you for the staff's quick response and hospitality! :)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
Reviewed 4 January 2013

This hotel is very poor... I stayed for 3 nights and won't come back again in the future. Room was small and bathroom was soo stink and small. Me and my partner was very disappointed as we didn't expect that bad.
Hot shower has no button to press more. Breakfast also was very standard, not many variety.
Room Service took ages to deliver. Location is not too bad. Probably 10 minutes walk to the city center.
There is no cafe or restaurant near the hotel. Minimart is a bit far, and just a few taxi hangs in the hotel area.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nax_Uhuy

Travellers are raving about these Malang hotels

usa
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Stayed there for 1 night for 2 rooms after viewing their rooms on their website. Let me describe it in a simple way:

Pos:
1. the garden
2. Friendly staff

Neg:
1. As soon as we entered the rooms, the smell was so strong. At first we could not tell what it was. But then the smell in the 2nd room was unacceptable, smoke! We had to move
2. The locks in both bathroom do not work. Instead of fixing them which may cost more, they just put an additional lock you can find in public restrooms
3. Both bedsheets are DIRTY. You can see that at the first sight. It's obvious that they do NOT change the sheets for a loooong time, because they almost look black! Not only that, both bed sheets have unwashed STAINS in several spots.
4. The same (or even worse) issue with BOTH bed covers. I threw them right away to the floor. Completely disgusting!
5. They put 2 small mineral bottled water in each room. But none of them was sealed.
6. The bathrooms STINK and dirty, too
7. The towels have changed color, too. From white to.. you know
8. All of the pillow cases look black also. Amazing, don't they?? When I looked inside, my pillow was COMPLETELY STAINED with brown color. It's like you tossed it to the mud and they just dried it. Exactly like that! I had to bring it to the room boy and complained to the front office. We paid IDR 450,000/room for this kind of hotel????? They gave me 2 new pillows, but I didn't use them. Luckily we had enough pillows in the car since we're from out of town.
9. For some interestingly unknown reasons, they put 1 single matchstick in each cup in the bed rooms. Did they expect the guest to drink the water with it in the cup?
10. Breakfast was supposed to be a buffet. But the front desk said that if the situation allowed (meaning: enough guests), then yes.. we would have a buffet. Turned out there was not buffet and none of the food/juices/snacks was nice. Not even the simple/standard fried rice!
11. The staff decided to talk and joke so loudly after 11 pm just in front of my room.

We will NEVER come back. No discount whatsoever after such terrible services!

Room Tip: Good luck in finding an acceptable room
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank mypreciouskids
BusDev M, Manager at The Grand Palace Hotel Malang, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for having spent some time with us at Grand Palace Hotel Malang.
We also thank you for your inputs mentioned above,We do apologies and we have taken care of them immediately to make sure that everything goes to perfection.

We have identified the smell was from the wash basin have fixed them immediately. About the lock , we have replace all the bathroom lock with the simple lock system to avoid any problem.

You may also be interested to learn that this month we have started a full refurbishment of our linen, including towels, duvet, and brand new pillows for our rooms.
Normally match stick is not supposed to be in the cup, we are sorry if our staff missed in replacing clean cup. A
And since we have a new Chef, we are trying to arrange buffet breakfast everyday for the Hotel guest.
The grand program to retrain all of staffs and remind them about the standard service is on going to make sure that everything goes to perfection.
Once again please accept my apologies and we are looking forward to seeing you again at the Grand Palace Hotel Malang.
Washington DC
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The lobby, the garden and the rooms have a grand faux classical appearance; the breakfast was good, the internet connection was excellent. It is in a central location, very close to what is known as kampung Arab 'Arab village,' and there are some interesting restaurants nearby. Easy walk to the alun-alun. The staff is amazingly clueless and poorly trained. I was promised a van to take me to Surabaya's Gubeng Station, which I ordered 3 days in advance. I checked again the day before to confirm and was told everything was all arranged, and the company was very good and reliable, not to worry. Turned out nothing had been done. I checked on the planned day of my departure and they hastily arranged a van which never showed up, then called another which also failed to show on time and .... long story short ... I missed my train. The staff didn't seem to think this was in any way their responsibility.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jokeli
Dear Jokely,
Thank you for your feed back regarding our hotel, I am certainly disappointed that you missed your train.
On behalf of the Management I do apologize for this miss arranged, I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise.
Very pleased that you were enjoyed our hotel breakfast, internet connection and our neighborhood.
We are now only working with the committed Transport company in handling our guest request, and make sure the driver also well trained and understand English.
Again please do accept my apologies and hope that the remainder of your trip to Malang was most enjoyable.
Malang, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 June 2010

incompetent stafs...offered more to rob customer while asked room still available, information on car rental given 70% higher than the actual price...

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family