“Owner harrassed me after reviewing the hostel”
Review of Da Rifi Hostel

Da Rifi Hostel
Da Rifi Hostel
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I shared a review which I thought was fair on this Hostel on another website. When asked if the Hostel provided what was advertised, I had said no.

The manager, Dyana, had my email address from my booking, and when my review went public, sent sent me a barrage of long emails over the period of several days - they were insulting, accusatory and bordering on being abusive. Her emails responded in great detail to every single point that I had made in my review, and told me how wrong I was on every single point. I was mis-quoted and accused of cheating drivers. I have had to make contact with the booking agent to get her to stop sending me insulting emails. For this reason alone I would not stay here again and will not recommend this Hostel.
This manager also forwarded emails (complete with their email address) to me from other backpackers, saying how great the owner is - this is a breach of their privacy. I am sure that other backpackers would prefer to not have their details sent to someone that they do not know.
If you do stay here and are arriving by train - try to organise a driver beforehand - the mini-bus system is effective but the drivers won't know where you want to go, and their English is limited (being a non-English speaking country and all). The Hostel is a long way (over an hour) from the train station and is about 20 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mitchell456
Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Mitchel456,
I really beg your apology if you think I made harrashment, but I didn!t. I tried to explain you in details what you made complaints because all your have complained were wrong. You should have asked me in the location if you think it was not working , etc. Again, I tell you, the driver of minibus didn't cheat you. You asked him to deliver in front of hostel that's the reason he asked you more than public transportation fee. Even he can't speak English, believe me, mostly Surabaya people are kind and welcome to tourists. Please don't judge every thing you don't know well from your side. In this forum, I would like to apologize anybody who thinks she is right. But, any body who would like to know about public transportation in Surabaya, my pleasure to explain by email or SMS how to reach certain place, even you don't stay with us.
All the best,

Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Very nice staff and cosy feeling. Free laundry, wifi and breakfast. Rooms not that special but with fan (dorm style several beds, but when we stayed there was no oneelse). Short walk to a street with many places to eat etc. I can recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013
5  Thank slwm123
Reviewed 28 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Da Rifi for 2 nights. Diana, the owner, organised a driver, Arief, to pick us up from Gubeng train station, as the location is a little difficult to explain.

We also used Arief to take us to Mt Bromo and he was very helpful all the way, with suggestions on the best use of our time.

The price at Da Rifi is great for the friendly service you receive, but it is far away from the Old City, where most of the tourist attractions are found. The public transport is adequate and cheap, but it takes 1 1/2 - 2h to get close to the attractions. Taxis are easily accessable, but is much more expensive and are not much quicker.

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed 11 December 2012

This hostel locate in local people residence, The room is clean, share bath room, available shampoo, no tooth brush and paste, no body soap, many mosquote, you should prepare own lotion mosquote.the owner helpful, not noisy
Far from shopping mall, tourist spot, near by juanda airport. About Rp.35.000/taxi to airport
The owner provide simple breakfast as like bread and noodle. Free coffee or tea.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Romida_Marbun
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The design of the hostel is definitely aimed at backpackers. And for them it is great! We had a spacious and clean room. The shared bathroom was open-air and clean as well. And the owner is a very kind person who will help you in all matters and who prepares lovely fruit juices every morning (which are for free!). Unluckily we have been almost the sole guests so that the big common area was of no real use to meet people. Cons of the place: far away from city center and a lot of mosquitos!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola B
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Arriving it looks just like a house. And that is more or less what it is. The dorm room we stayed in had a broken air con but the owner quickly provided fans to help with the heat. The only negative was the noise but that was from other guests.
The lady running the hostel is extremely nice and will do whatever she can to help you! Towels and blankets are readily available as is a laundry service. Breakfast is also provided and was the best food I experienced across my 4 day stay in Java.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nano_Nick
Reviewed 10 September 2012

My stay there was really good. I would recommed this hostel to anyone in Surabaya. In special if you plan to travel to Bromo. Dyana was really kind. She gave me all the tips I needed to make my plan of the places I wanted to visit in Java, always thinking about the best prices. This helps me a lot to prepare the trip in Java and to avoid being overcharged in any of the payments I did for the bus and train tickets, so as for finding cheap places where staying. Dyana also waited during 40 minutes with me until the right van arrived the day I left for Bromo. She was really helpful.

The hostel was well clean and the food really good. I had an excelent dinner for free; and breakfast so good as well. The wifi worked fine at the lobby and in the room. You can have free coffee, tea and drinking water.

I had a great stay and would come back there, no doubt. It is priceless when people are helpful and treat you reaaly well when you are far away from home.

Thanks!