Da Rifi Hostel
US$26
US$41
US$39
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I had known that some felt very bad on this hostel while some felt good.
Then, why did I chose Da Rifi to stay?
I appreciated that the ownner answered elaborately and sincerely to those complains.
My opinion? In short, good with homestay atmosphere.
I want to say to those who felt bad.
what you paid to stay was 75,000Rupia or something like that, right?
This hostel is not business hotel nor for rich travelers, but for backpackers of that sort.
Yes, It was old house, Perhaps you could even say sort of dilapidated.
But in my opinion, The house has basic facility and cleanness for the fee all right.
Perhaps, you were unable to open/close the door smoothly.
The problem is simply you were not good at it. You exert a little power to lift the door upward when you ope/close the doors, then it would move smoothly, since the problem is the bottom of the door was touching the floor. Simple physics.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 June 2013

This place is a real home stay as there's not much privacy but you'll get a lot back for this. They have many dorm rooms with two bunk beds but when I was there you had the room to yourself. They provide breakfast, rice and tea/coffee for free. When I arrived I was hungry and wanted some food so they took me on the motorbike to a warung for some sate kambing and visit to the supermarket. The next morning I was dropped off at the airport by motorbike for 25.0000 rp.
they speak English and will help you with anything if possible. A great place if you don't mind not staying in the centre and next to the mosque
Only 15 min on the motorbike to the airport!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 May 2013

It's certainly different! It is very homely and there are many free things (breakfast items, simple foods when hungry, laundry, lockers downstairs etc.). This is great and what is advertised. There is hot water showers but it may need fixing as it pumps out boiling water on and off, and rooms also get rather hot as the AC doesn't work. Lots of helpful information on how to get to places by bemo, but the city centre is really far away. I suggest if you are taking the train to go to Wonokromo instead of Gubeng. It's much closer.

The hostel doesn't have a social vibe because the seating/dining area is not really suited to it. There's stuff everywhere and nowhere comfortable to sit and relax. So if there are other people there (it's not that busy though) you may not see them. The owner is always trying to be helpful which is great, but I'm not sure she always listens fully and can then be quite imposing with her solutions and ideas. I think this causes some misunderstandings maybe.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Dear Wanderee,
Thank you very much for your review, and before I explain what you complained, I apologize if my words don't fit with your feeling as I really don't mean to make harrashment to you.
About the hot water of shower, I don't know where you mean as I have checked, all works as well. You should have shown us so we can fix it as well. But I know, the shower has many options which may confuse you.
About AC, it is controlled from central electricity channel. The price of AC rooms is different with fan rooms. If you want AC, you can tell us and we can open the AC, but you must agree to pay more. AC is IDR 100,000 per person per night, while fan is IDR 75,000/person/night. But we prefer to offer fan rooms as we concern on environment friendly and we have made the building has high ceiling to accomodate fresh air as much as possible. That's why we almost never offer AC ,except for people who really ask it. We don't want to make our hostel become more expensive to you if we ask you more charge.
About the public area, we are sorry that we are small hostel. We only have one public room as shared dining rooms to eat, watching tv, reading. but is that the aim you stay at hostel to know each other more closer? Iam sorry if I make mistake about this, but we are sorry we cannot make larger because that's the only space we have. I dream to make bigger hostel with bigger capacity and I will concern about your request. Please, help me to pray to make this dream comes true.
About city center, I have tried to tell in any website I can reach, that Da Rifi lies in airport area and not at city center and anyone who is concerned at city center, please don't stay with us as we are far from city center. Even it is easy to reach city center by public transportation. So,please, anyone who wants to go to city center, please, don't stay with us. We are close at the arport and bus terminal Purabaya at Bungurasih, not city center. So, please don't give low rating of review about location. This always makes our rating is getting lower and lower because it almost has low review at location which impacts to whole review.
Dear Wanderee, we listen to your voice and we are really appreciated of your review. Again, thank you and all the best for you....

Reviewed 9 March 2013

I shared a review which I thought was fair on this Hostel on another website. When asked if the Hostel provided what was advertised, I had said no.

The manager, Dyana, had my email address from my booking, and when my review went public, sent sent me a barrage of long emails over the period of several days - they were insulting, accusatory and bordering on being abusive. Her emails responded in great detail to every single point that I had made in my review, and told me how wrong I was on every single point. I was mis-quoted and accused of cheating drivers. I have had to make contact with the booking agent to get her to stop sending me insulting emails. For this reason alone I would not stay here again and will not recommend this Hostel.
This manager also forwarded emails (complete with their email address) to me from other backpackers, saying how great the owner is - this is a breach of their privacy. I am sure that other backpackers would prefer to not have their details sent to someone that they do not know.
If you do stay here and are arriving by train - try to organise a driver beforehand - the mini-bus system is effective but the drivers won't know where you want to go, and their English is limited (being a non-English speaking country and all). The Hostel is a long way (over an hour) from the train station and is about 20 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank mitchell456
Darifi, Owner at Da Rifi Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Dear Mitchel456,
I really beg your apology if you think I made harrashment, but I didn!t. I tried to explain you in details what you made complaints because all your have complained were wrong. You should have asked me in the location if you think it was not working , etc. Again, I tell you, the driver of minibus didn't cheat you. You asked him to deliver in front of hostel that's the reason he asked you more than public transportation fee. Even he can't speak English, believe me, mostly Surabaya people are kind and welcome to tourists. Please don't judge every thing you don't know well from your side. In this forum, I would like to apologize anybody who thinks she is right. But, any body who would like to know about public transportation in Surabaya, my pleasure to explain by email or SMS how to reach certain place, even you don't stay with us.
All the best,

Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Very nice staff and cosy feeling. Free laundry, wifi and breakfast. Rooms not that special but with fan (dorm style several beds, but when we stayed there was no oneelse). Short walk to a street with many places to eat etc. I can recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013