“Good hotel, at not the best location”

Novotel Surabaya Hotel and Suites
Ranked #37 of 136 Hotels in Surabaya
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is good, the service, the building, the room. The breakfast was okay. The only cons is that the hotel is located not at the best location. Almost no interesting sightseeing accesible by foot around. but it's a good option if you have a transportation.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ignatius Untung S
There are newer reviews for Novotel Surabaya Hotel and Suites

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I'm a local, and have been a member of the Novotel gym & pool for over 2 years. Overall the management for the gym and pool is very bad. For two years, there have been many incidents when the gym is not open yet during operational hours because the staff was late. Many of the lockers and padlocks in the gym are broken. We have to do self-service every morning (i.e. get our own towels, etc) because the staff isn't there. The pool is often dirty and not well maintained. I've complained to the Gym's manager, Mrs. Isna, several times, but there's no significant improvement.

Recently, it got much worse. Just on the 30th of June, I went to the pool, and it was very dirty. I don't know for how long already, because I hadn't been there for more than 3 weeks. The next day, July 1st, it was closed for 3 days for maintenance. On Friday, July 4th, it was open, but still remained very dirty a 3-day maintenance. What kind of maintenance was that? Saturday, July 5th, still no improvement. I've complained to the staff on June 30th, July 1st, July 4th, and July 5th.

And today, July 7th, the pool is closed again. And this time, they don't know for how long. What kind of a 4-star hotel is this? They gym staff finally told me to complained to reception, which I did just now. None of the receptionist know when it will be fixed, and they kept asking one another, for almost 30 minutes. I finally asked to speak to the manager.

One of the managers finally came out, Mr. Yanu. He sang the same tunes, that they don't know how long it will take to fix the pool, because it just happened yesterday. Which is not true, since the pool have been having problems for at least 1 week, that I know of. And over the course of more than 2 years, there had been many problems as well. When I said I'm going to put a negative review of the hotel on social media & Internet, if it's not solved quickly, he said, go ahead and do it. So I'm doing it now. This is the most ridiculous answer that I've ever got from a hotel manager in response to a complain. Not hospitable at all.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Novotel_Surabaya, General Manager at Novotel Surabaya Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Ibu Gracetan,

First of all, I thank you for being a member of Fitness Centre at Novotel Surabaya.
I am very sorry to hear that you have experienced unpleasant situation at our Fitness Centre and Swimming pool.

Referring to your comment about the service at Fitness Centre, I would like to inform you that our Fitness Centre is managed by outside company and we already complained to them about those matters. They already changed some of their staff and made some improvement.
At the moment we are in process for reviewing their performance for the contract continuation.

About the condition of our Swimming Pool, we already made some actions to solve the problem. In the process of improvements we need to do analysis many times and it will take some times to determine the root cause of the problem. From those actions finally we found mechanical problem and some leaks on the reliefs at the pool, therefore we have to close the pool for 1 week. By this closing we hope that all the problems can be repaired thoroughly and the swimming pool return to the normal condition.

Once again, on behalf of Management and Team Novotel Surabaya, I would like to apologies for the inconvenience caused and thank you for the time to share your concerns as an encouragement to continuously improve our quality and service.

Best regards,
Djulkarnain

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel several time. One of the reason as I am member of Accorhotel and easy to make reservation. Hotel staffs are helpful and friendly. Breakfast choices and tate are fine. Lobby are is a bit small. I like the room facing the Pool.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We (my parents and i) had a good deal for 2 rooms (king size bed) to stay there on our way from Makassar to mt ijen and mt bromo.

The room were nice with a big shower.
Very quiet (we were not facing in the pool direction)
The wifi was working well.

The breakfast was good:
- some small bakery (muffins, croissant, donut)
- a lot of local food
- fruits
- scrambled eggs
- yogurt
- A good coffee machine for various coffee
- you can have your breakfast seating by the pool

On the minus side of the breakfast: - it was taking time to get the juice dispenser, the bakery to be refilled.
So keep your eyes open not to miss when they bring new ones.
- we also had to go get ourself the cutlery in the drawer as there was not any on the table outside.

No big deal though. The staff is friendly. I guess they were just a bit understaffed

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014

To be fair we got a good deal on Agoda.com to stay here, but that said the hotel is long overdue for refurbishment. We had a one bedroomed apartment - lots of things didn't work and it wasn't that clean. (Which probably accounted for why we stayed for $50- a night!)

The pool area was good. Dining was very average and expensive (by many Indonesian standards).

Would we stay here again - probably not.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

One of those oldish hotels with character. Pre-booked checking in was efficient by friendly staff. The lobby area was small with limited seating (most of the space taken up by staircase, etc) with a bar/café attached. The ground floor room was very spacious and clean and the bathroom and shower cubicle was roomy too. For a change the mini fridge in this hotel was well stocked and NOT locked like at many hotels these days. Nice to have lots of lightings too and the AC was pretty strong. Free WiFi but can be slow at times. Breakfast was reasonable with a decent selection but for only 1 unlike at most star hotels. Being on the lower floor expect to find a mossie or 2 in the room.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room not facing the pool area (unless you are a late sleeper and early riser...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com