“Great place to say” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 129 Hotels in Surabaya
Bucharest
“Great place to say”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

I spent 3 weeks here during a recent business trip to Surabaya. The building is massive and comes full of history. The facility is a bit dated, but the stay was great. The staff here were amazingly warm, friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet is solid and the Illy cappucinos in the lobby are fabulous. I used the gym regularly and found the equipment only ok. It is a bit old, but workable. The pool is fantastic and someone a peaceful, quiet place in a city that is anything but. Overall, great stay and a place I'd definitely come back to if I were in Surabaya again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank kgoodson3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Very nice hotel with spacious rooms, an excellent spa and very good dining facilities. The breakfast is one of the best ever.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

I had the worst experience with this hotel. A bad yoghurt served by their restaurant during breakfast sent my fiance to spend the night in the hospital on a drip, to deal with a violent case of food poisoning. To cap it all, they charged me 50% of an additional night for the late checkout, as we had to rush to the hospital first and could only come back later to pick up our bags.

The fact they they insisted to charge us in the circumstances shows utter lack of tact at best. But more importantly, I strongly suggest to avoid this hotel as the food quality is questionable. And to top it all, it's infested with mosquitoes.

Only plus point: the place is quite beautiful. The overall standard remains very far from the 5 star hotel it claims to be.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Pierre B
jamescosta0664, General Manager at Hotel Majapahit Surabaya, responded to this review, 18 August 2011
To begin, I honestly do not make it a point to reply to constructive criticisms which are posted here on TripAdvisor. While the team here at Hotel Majapahit strive in every way to make each and every guest enjoy every aspect of their stay, it is always nice to hear what we can do better.

I would like to reply to each of the three problems that you mentioned in your review. To begin, while the hotel truly regrets your fiance's unfortunate sickness, I think I owe it to the hotel team, our guests and those of you who may read this review to reply.

I would like to begin with the allegation that your fiance was admitted to the hospital as a result of food poisoning from a yoghurt she ate at the hotel for breakfast. To begin, once I heard of the incident, I reviewed all the records for the refrigerators to ensure that all food was stored at safe temperatures. I found this to be so. Next, I reviewed purchase records and stock to see if any of the present stock had a date for which the product had expired, this too proved to be all within standard for safe handling of foods. So, I decided that I would contact the hospital that your fiance was treated at to see if there was a diagnosis of food borne illness. The report that the hotel received noted that there was NO CONCLUSIVE EVIDENCE THAT THE SICKNESS WAS A RESULT OF A FOOD BORNE ILLNESS. Additionally, the report did NOT mention anything about the cause possibly being from yoghurt. While this does NOT 100% confirm that your fiance did or did not get sick from food, it surely leaves the door open to the fact that she might have contacted any sickness anywhere she might have eaten within 8 to 12 hours of being admitted to the hospital. And again, the fact that the hospital could NOT verify it was a result of food borne illness, leaves the door open to other factors which might have caused her regretable sickness.

I can assure you that in the 2 years that I have been here and the thousands of meals that we have served, there has NEVER BEEN A CASE OF FOOD BORNE ILLNESS IN THE HOTEL MAJAPAHIT. We have a very good hygiene system in place and have a equally good system of record keeping to prevent many of the causes of food borne illness like out of date stock. So, while the incident with your fiance was truly regretable, I think it unjustified to single out the hotel as the cause.

With regard to your being charged 50% for the late check-out, I must agree with you and say that this is not normal policy and I apologize for this. We will issue a credit card refund for the amount you were charged. We have also taken steps to prevent this issue from happening in the future.

Finally, the problem with mosquitoes! Yes, Indonesia has a mosquito problem and because the hotel is situated in an open courtyard with lot's of greenery, we have our share of mosquitoes, no doubt. However, we also have a very rigid program of fogging and wet fogging which is designed to control and reduce the problem. We have gone as far as fogging at our expense the surrounding properties which might be breeding grounds for mosquitoes and honestly, we have done well in reducing the number of mosquitoes in the area. As a gentle reminder, the mosquito problem in Indonesia is a seasonal problem and there are many more mosquitoes from June through September than the rest of the year here in Surabaya.... Again, we apologize for the problem, but we honestly are doing all that we can while taking into account our guests comfort and safety while we fog.

So, I would like to thank you for the constructive comments and criticisms, and I hope that you understand our reply to the issue you raised with the food poisoning. We take food safety very seriously and therefore take every possible precaution to ensure that we comply with international standards for food safety, handling and quality of product.

Finally, we regret any guest having less than a perfect experience in our hotel and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate why HOTEL MAJAPAHIT IS RANKED THE #1 HOTEL IN SURABAYA HERE ON TRIPADVISOR.

James Costa
Evergem, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

Lovely hotel with a great history, worth every dollar. Rooms were big, clean, well maintained...close to perfect in fact. Staff was very friendly and helpfull. Altough you're in the middle of the crowded and busy city you dont hear that noise inside the hotel. Very good restaurant, lovely food and good service. Nice swimmingpool and fitnesscentre. Definatly would and will go back there one day.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HugoColle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2011

Highly recommended for people who enjoy unique hotels with history. We stayed in a standard room and a suite. Rooms are large and nicely appointed. Sarkies restaurant is top notch.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank OffshoreJoe
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We stayed couple of nights in this hotel and definitely will come back if we get chance.

For a hotel that aged for more than 100 years old this hotel is amazingly well preserved. The external architecture is still as it is 'old deutch type' building. They even keep the historical flag pole from 1945. The lobby is full with old historical picture and art pieces. It is so classic and yet informative.

The room is spacious with old/classic interior designs which make it very unique. It is facing the garden and it has private balcony. The garden is beautiful and the spa is awesome.

It is just 100 m from Surabaya's biggest shopping center and food court. can easily go there by foot.

We rent a hotel car with a very reasonable price/12 hrs including fuel and driver. We took a city tour and the driver is very much helpful and nice. They also provide a private tour if you want to go out of town to visit Kawah Ijen or Bromo.

In short, this hotel is very much recommended !

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mutiaw
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

The hotel is lovely, like colonial setting.
Generally, the service is very good. Except for the cafe. I like peanut butter with my toast. When I asked for it, the first response is "We don't have it". But upon further probing, one of the waiters went searching for it and found it. The rest of the staff just cannot be bothered and even after I showed them that they indeed have peanut butter, they couldn't be bothered. The captain was even worse, insisting they did not have it. When I told him that his waiter got it for me the previous day, he looked at me as if I was stupid. It took another waiter to get it for me. These 2 waiters should be the captain instead! They have much better attitude than the captain.
The gym is good and the trainer very willing to help and even helped me with my stretching.
Housekeeping guy was also very helpful and eager to please.
Overall a great hotel, except for the captain and some of the staff attitude at the cafe.
The grilled chicken at the cafe was really yummy though...

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends