“Disappointed... Last night is tonight.”

Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers
Ranked #9 of 134 Hotels in Surabaya
Leesburg, Virginia
“Disappointed... Last night is tonight.”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I normally try to stay away from negative comments, opting for helpful criticism instead. However I have to be negative this time. I have stayed here a few times before and had good experiences and even reviewed it here on tripadvisor. When I booked the room, I asked for a non-smoking room. On my confirmation email, a smoking room was confirmed. I called and asked to change the room and was assured that it was going to be a non-smoking club room. When I arrived to room 2609 it had a faint odor of smoke in the room, as the night progressed, it got worse. We didn't spend much time in the room during the stay so it wasn't too obvious except for the first night, which kept me awake, and tonight which was horrible, like someone actually smoking in the room. It seems that it may be coming from the A/C unit or from the carpet maybe. I contacted the club lounge and asked if the room was a smoking room, again I was told it was not. The clerk came to the room and noticed the smell as soon as he opened the door. They offered to place a ionization unit in the room, which if left in the room might have worked overnight. However, shortly after the unit was placed in the room, someone from maintenance called and asked if the unit was still in the room and wanted it back. I asked him if someone had a greater need for it and he said, no, but you don't know. I was SO angry I didn't even know what to say, which is new for me. Seriously, if he had been in the room, I would have splashed water in his face to make sure he wasn't sleepwalking. As for the room itself, 4 star. Although Sheraton claims 5 star status for this hotel, and at one time it might have been, but not anymore. The facilities have dwindled from my previous visits. Without a doubt the quality of service at Shangri La, and Hotel Majapahit, are considerably better than here. I'm not saying that because I am frustrated with this hotel, but because it's true. I don't know when the bathtub was last cleaned and the coffee maker was full of mold. The standard of service to the guests is just not on the same level here anymore. Sadly, this will be our last stay at this hotel as I don't see any efforts being made to improve. I will say that the breakfast was great and my hat's off to the guy cooking the eggs for me in the morning. He did a great job.

Room Tip: Folks, I'm not sure what to say here, good luck on your selection. I hope the issue with my roo...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BigBuddy66
Teresia W, Director of Sales at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Dear Mr BigBuddy66

Thank you for sharing your disappointment with our service. By this response, we would like to apologize that we have made your stay at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers a less enjoyable one.

Upon your feedback, we have done a detailed follow up. The shortcoming mentioned in your review is not up to our usual quality standard and you can be assured that all the necessary steps have been taken to avoid such occurrences in the future.

I am aware that this does not change the disappointing experience that you incurred, but we do hope we have another opportunity to earn back your trust of the Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers.

Once again, thank you for sharing the comments where we fell short and need to improve.

We hope to see you back at the Sheraton Surabaya Hotel and Towers.

Have a great week end and A Happy New Year!!

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Surabaya is growing fast if the traffic snarls are anything to go by. The city sees many improvements and us definitely on the up. The Sheraton a Surabaya which I chose again is also improving . It's services are now more smiling, staff more attentive and efficient .
A city hotel linked to a mall with weddings galore can overwhelm a business visitor. The lobby is small in terms of seating so the business visitor is disadvantaged . There are nice bar and seating on the first floor where most of the restaurants are located too. The music in the evenings can be noisy unless you focus on it.
Got to an upper floor to see the vast areas around. Rom us big and well appointed and turned up. But Sheraton in Indonesia needs to improve the quality of its toiletries .
The executive lounge is a boon and well run for breakfast tea and cocktails but it gets crowded. Avoid taking a room near it as the visitors can be noisy

Room Tip: Higher floors but not near the lounge
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Geeess

Thank you for your feedback and kind review. We are glad that you have noticed our efforts to improve the facility. We realize that we still have few things to go; therefore, we are grateful that we got your constructive feedback. I have shared them with my colleagues for further follow up.

We look forward to meet you again in near future.

Melbourne
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed in the Starwood group as we are members, and were not disappointed.

We were there to print our latest book, so needed somewhere that was comfortable and welcoming, with added relaxing perks. Selecting a club room, we were quickly made to feel at home. If we had an issue at all, as sometimes happened, it was quickly and wonderfully addressed.

The location is central, and next to one of the biggest shopping centres (they have Gap!) and great restaurants down on the lower level (try XO if you like Chinese...cheap and yummy).

Rooms are typically Sheraton, with comfortable beds and amenities. The band on the lower level is really entertaining and if you can sing, jump up (but please, no karaoke!!) When we were there, there was a legendary Surabayan singer who entertained us, amazing heart as well...hope you can all be so lucky.

This is a Muslim country, so if you are unused to the periodic prayers, it may wake you up. Alert staff before you check in, so they can take this into account with room placement.

The swimming pool reminds me of my home island, Bali. An oasis in the city. If you are lucky enough, you might meet their GM Christopher, who has wonderful tales of places to visit around town, off the beaten track.

Will most definitely be staying here again. Great value. Thank you to all for making our trip so enjoyable. It was stressful as we were working under a tight deadline, but made so much easier by your hospitality.

Room Tip: If you are not Muslim or used to noise, request a room that takes this into account, as the morning...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Dear AngustheGreat

Thank you for your rave review. It is indeed delightful to learn that you had enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your kind feedback and we are very encouraged by it. It’s been a pleasure serving you and we look forward to having you back with us again.

Bali, Indonesia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Easy access to the biggest shopping mall Tunjungan Plaza, there was an extension access straight to the shopping mall.

The room are quiet big, clean, good AC, note water and comfortable bed. Great breakfast variation, taste and services. I stay several times and always satisfied, fully recommended if you are looking for city hotel with direct access to the shopping mall.

Room Tip: High Floor and Front view facing the street
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear stanislaus14

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am pleased to know that we have provided you the level of service that is expected when staying at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers.
My team and I are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Chris Moore
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Love the location and proximity of the hotel to Tunjungan Plaza, where we can wander around safely without needing a car to get there. There are dozens of good eating establishments, only minutes away, to choose from.
I like the pool, spa and free access to the Internet. Breakfast is varied, plentiful and satisfying. Staff is very friendly and welcoming. They even remembered our names from last year's visit, which is really something.
What was disappointing, however, was the fact that the upstairs lounge was not smoke free. Several times we looked for a place where we could sit quietly with visiting family and friends. Every time somebody started smoking we had to leave. The unhealthy and disgusting stench of smoke really bothered us. It is most inappropriate in this day and age. I realize smokers also have their rights, but not at the expense of others. I am glad they at least have non smoking rooms/floors.
Maybe Sheraton could have a separate enclosed lounge to cater to smokers? Starwood hotels we've stayed at elsewhere are entirely smoke free :-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Kanata

Thank you for your rave review! We are very pleased to hear that you have chosen Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers as your preferred hotel in Surabaya. We are reviewing our smoking policy with concerned departments. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The location is superb. Very close to anything. The hotel itself was great, and nice building. Since it is located right next to a shopping mall, so you'll have varied choice to dine or just to window shopping. The room was nice, clean and neat. Great room to have a rest. They also provide TWG tea as complimentary tea set in room. Isn't that lovely?

The breakfast was great, I really love their breakfast buffet, especially their fresh juices.

The thing i hate so much was their service. It took them like forever to bring my dinner (room service). I ordered at 12 in midnight, and they delivered the food at 1 am? Did they have so many orders at that time?? Oh, and they insist they have put the menu in my room for me to have a look. Even they sent a staff to show us the menu, which they couldn't find it. What a waste of time.

Another issue was on my second night, I was extremely exhausted and really need my bed. And all of sudden my room key didn't work. I need to call to reception, and I told them the issue. And they sent a staff just to ensure the issue and returned to reception desk to fix the issue. Come on, it was midnight and you really need to assured my room key issue? I waited in front of my room for 15 minutes, just so you know. They really need to improve the speed of service.

But overall i really like my stays there. They only need to improve the quality of service. Indeed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Rizki P

Thank you for sharing your memorable experience during your stay at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers. Thank you for your compliments on our location, guestroom and breakfast. We apologized that our service didn’t meet your expectation and have taken note to your comments. We have forwarded the issues to concerned department for improvements. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to meet with you again very soon.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Had a bad experience with Sheraton Surabaya a last stay, as they did mistake in the bookings (long story)
No air condition in the hall ways and corridors
Very low water pressure in the showers
Rooms not clean especially the bathrooms

Need to improve!

Stayed October 2013
Teresia W, Director of Sales & Marketing at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Javaswede

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review regarding your recent stay at Sheraton Surabaya Hotel & Towers. Please accept our sincerest apology for your disappointment. Feedback from our guests are the best way for us to further enhance our service and facilities. We appreciate your taking time to bring up your experience to our attention. We hope to have another opportunity to be at your service again.