“Best Budget Hotel in The Area” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel 88 Embong Kenongo

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel 88 Embong Kenongo
Ranked #47 of 129 Hotels in Surabaya
“Best Budget Hotel in The Area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay on this hotel and ws stayed for 4 nights. This hotel still good for me with its friendly staffs, I even let my stuffs on the room and leave the room while the janitor clean up the room and everything just safe and perfect when I'm back hours later. The only minus is its breakfast, they almost served the same dishes everyday, though the dishes tasted decent. Its location primarily made my choice and it's easy to walk around to Tunjungan Plaza or Plaza Surabaya and the Submarine Museum

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scafio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

A good hotel centrally located and not too far from the train station. The rooms are a reasonable size and very clean. The breakfast was very good buffet self service. There is refreshing ice cold lemon tea in the reception during the day - a nice touch. Nice staff. Certainly I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank curiousphotographer
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

I stayed at Hotel 88 Embong Kenongo just for one day, but if I ever in need for a place to stay in Surabaya, I'd definitely consider to come back. I chose the hotel mainly because when I looked for hotels near Gubeng Train Station, it was one of the recommended hotels. Well, I thought the train station was within walking distance from the hotel, but in Indonesia you couldn't really rely on the map, so it turned out that the hotel was located near the train station, but not near enough. I took the taxi to get there, especially because my luggage was quite heavy to carry around. Thinks I liked about the hotel were its clean and functional room and bathroom albeit rather small, comfortable bed, easy to get taxi (some of them were parked around the hotel), quiet environment and helpful staff. Thing that surprised me was the breakfast buffet. For the price, I didn't expect much but what they served exceeded my expectation in variety of food and taste. I got the cheapest room and it was worth every rupiah. I should mention though that the hotel didn't have lots of parking space so if you bring your own car, parking might be a problem and I wish they added coffee making facilities in the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

First of - be careful when indicating this place to the taxi driver. There are two "hotel 88" in Surabaya and we ended up in the wrong one. Our taxi was already gone.

First disappointment: our bedroom (350k/night) has no window. The shower temperature is either very hot or super cold.

Service: we planned to go Jogyagakrta on the next day and needed some information regarding the train schedule. The receptionist (night shift) was not willing to help us in any way and simply told us to go to the train station to check by ourselves. I later found out that a website with all requested information does exist but it was in Indonesian. It would have taken 5 min of her time and in a business hotel, I can't believe that this information is not known by the reception.

Upon check-in, the same lady requested us to sign many different forms without explaining the purpose for any of them. I was previously staying in a hostel in Surabaya which could have been rated 5* service-wise compared to this.

Positive note: The bedroom was very clean. Breakfast is very good, although it takes ages to get the eggs. Perfect location next to train station (10 min walk). Mall next door - although outdated. Complimentary drinks at the reception. Good wifi. Safe.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Oeilaiguise
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Very clean hotel, in great position near Surabaya Plaza and Gubeng station. Wi-fi is good and fast, though you have to keep logging in if don't use for a few minutes, but that is a minor quibble I guess - breakfast was good - more Indonesian than Western, limited choice - but what was there was very good. Bed extremely comfortable, quite a small room - I stayed in the deluxe, but very nice - good shower, small desk, and extremely clean - unless you want to splash out for a full range hotel like the Majapahit, then this is the ideal choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BenM279
Chiang Mai
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

It's only a 5-minute walk from Surabaya's Gubeng train station, which is what we were looking for when we spent one night before continuing east to Banyuwangi and Bali. We were happily surprised to discover that Hotel 88 was impeccably clean, with a very comfortable bed, TV with stations in English, and a shower with great water pressure.

We orderer room service for dinner as it was pouring rain outside, and the staff were very helpful to cater to our vegan requests. The breakfast buffet in the morning (6-10am) is quite extensive and had a lot of options for us to eat (the gado gado was amazing!)

Given that our room was just feet away from the breakfast area, we heard other guests enjoying their morning meal long before our alarm went off. We, therefore, recommend avoiding rooms 209-212 and 222 unless you are planning to get an early start to your day.

Room Tip: Try avoiding rooms 209-212 and 222 as they're very close to the breakfast area and you'll he...