“Best hotel in Batam!”
Review of Grands I Hotel

Grands I Hotel
Ranked #8 of 105 Hotels in Batam
Reviewed 11 March 2012

So far, the best hotel in Batam... always fully booked. Wonder whether the owner/management will start a U hotel somewhere near :)

8  Thank moomoojeff

Reviewed 10 March 2012

Security- the best in Batam
Location- the best- just next to Nagoya Shopping Mall
Hotel room- Nice and clean- Super like the room
Breakfast - International fare, would love their local cuisine such as Ayam Soto etc..
Swimming pool - slightly small but still can chill out.
Sauna and steam bath- decent

Value for money and great for shoppers and those prefer a walking distance to massage salon and mall.

Room Tip: Any room will do
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ginger-tea-77
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Great experience! The I hotel staff was responsible, they called me on the same day to confirm the land transfer instead of just dropping me an email confirmation. Upon arrival, check in was quick, they put us in a studio apartment, which was wonderful though it was a smoking room, the fridge and hot water boiler were surprisingly clean with free mineral water as well.

There's a clean pathway leading to Nagoya Hill mall, five mins walk, which provided us with immense convenience.

Breakfast was delicious, the soto ayam was fabulous. The concierge booked our return ferry for us as we forgot to approach the counter at Harbour Bay.

We will definitely return again, I hope I hotel maintains their standard. We thoroughly enjoy ourselves.

3  Thank LLJay1612
Reviewed 13 February 2012

1st stay here. Location is very near to Nagoya hill. The room is spacious and clean. The rate is on the high end mayb due to near Nagoya hill. Will stay here again for my next trip!

2  Thank dolp21
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Stayed in a suite over a long weekend recently. Not cheap (in my opinion) considering it's a 2 night stay for a family of 4 considering this is Batam. But went ahead anyway after reading rave reviews about this hotel in Tripadvisor. The hotel is pretty decent. There was no odour. Suite was big and clean. Gym and pool was ok. Staff was friendly. And it's convenient to get to the mall. Breakfast was a mess (crowded, food was not replenished quick enough, service was slow, etc) as expected given the long weekend. The only compliant i had was that the concierge did not follow up on my request to change the ferry timing even though they said they will. This resulted in a hiccup to on my return trip and i had to head to the ferry office to get the issue rectified. I would have appreciated if the concierge has given me early heads up.

Overall, the hotel stay was within my expectation. But the hassle to get there and back is a nightmare. There was no order nor crowd control at the ferry terminal and everyone is trying to squeeze their way through. I felt like my family and I are refugees trying to take the last ferry out of the place. I don't think i will be making any return trip ever again even if the hotel is very good simply because Batam is a not an ideal tourist destination for families (this is my personal opinion and no offence intended).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel which provides a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank dnsy
Reviewed 5 February 2012

ROOM
Stayed 2 nights in Superior Balcony (Room 312) but nothing much to see from the balcony except the main road entrance and part of the swimming pool which is also on the same floor.
My neighbour next door has chairs in the balcony but not in my room.
Can see part of the swimming pool from the room but the shower room is just beside my room balcony, which I felt rather insecure as anybody could have just climb into our balcony from the shower area. So I had balcony door locked almost all the time.
I regretted taking the room with balcony end up I paying extra for insecurity. Probably thats the reason why they did not put any chairs in my balcony in the first place.
Other than that, the room is spacious and has modern facilities (aircon and lights on/off by tapping, no switches)
Clear HBO channels available in the room.
Reliable safe and extra pillows in the cupboard.

SERVICE
Almost all the staff are friendly and always ready for a smile.
Breakfast has decent variety of local and western food selection.

LOCATION
Abt 15min drive to Batam Ferry Terminal.
Abt 5min walk to Nagoyah Hill Shopping Centre, where you can find local and western food, spa centres and even a movie theater!

Room Tip: Don't take Room 312 as balcony is beside the swimming pool shower room and anybody can just clim...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Li33iee
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Almost every review here is from Singaporeans so a review from a 'westerner' may provide a different outlook and be helpful

First I would question why go to Batam. From what I saw there is no reason to go for leisure, unless perhaps you come from Singapore to do some cheap shopping and have some cheap Spa treatment. If you are in Batam on business then fine, but if you have no need to come then spend your hard earned money in a nicer resort type island such as (parts of) Bali - if Indonesia beckons - or Samui/Langkawi/Penang if not

The shopping mall every reviewer mentions is conveniently located a 3 or 4 minute walk away down a safe footpath and it is indeed worthy of mention - because there is nothing else to do in the vicinity of the hotel. The mall is big and there are plenty of food outlets, there is even an internet cafe and there are plenty of ATMs. However this is not a mall a la Singapore/KL/Bangkok - the shops are local and the merchandise of low quality. Nobody speaks English. Whereas most westerners could probably while away half a day, maybe some ladies a whole day, in the mega malls of the previously mentioned capital cities I don't think this would be possible in Batam

A short taxi ride from the hotel is an area of bars suitable for western visitors. All are very smokey, most are 'girly' and some looked rather seedy, at least from the outside. I tried 4 or 5 of the bars, some were pleasant enough, others not welcoming

Turning to the hotel specifically, the room was large and adequately furnished. The bathroom was also large with an efficient shower. There was some noise from the corridor, mainly room attendants shouting from one room to another as they were working. The breakfast was an enormous spread of almost entirely Asian style food, this obviously because 99% of the guests are Asian. The hotel staff spoke acceptable English and were helpful and efficient

The hotel has a night club which is akin to a meat market. Regular visitors to the far east will understand exactly the meaning behind that comment, and for this reason the venue is suitable only for those with broad minds who accept the way in which Asian men entertain themselves in such establishments

So to conclude, the hotel itself is fine, but do yourself a favour and go somewhere else other than Batam

Room Tip: Get a room well away from the area above/near to the night club. Rooms on the back of the hotel will...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo