“Average Hotel, Poor Wi-Fi”
Review of Grands I Hotel

Grands I Hotel
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Batam
Singapore
“Average Hotel, Poor Wi-Fi”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Our initial impression was good because the lobby and rooms were modern and clean. Bathtub was huge. Free amenities like shaving kit, shower cap, cotton buds, bath gel/shampoo, toothbrush and paste (only one set) and bedroom slippers (only one pair) were provided. Breakfast was so so only. Staff were polite enough. Location was great, just 3 minutes walk from Nagoya Hill with plenty of good and cheap eateries, good and bad spas and shopping. Bed was firm and comfy. Strong shower.
But moderate your expectations. Wi-Fi was constantly unstable in the rooms (we had 2 rooms at the end of the corridor). We had to either stand at the door or outside the rooms to get connection. Pool is very small and at 1.2metres deep, it encourages people to soak and chat rather than swim. And if there are kids with huge float, well...it's invaded.
Overall not bad but I would like to try a different hotel in town than return.

Room Tip: Pool view or back yard view dont matter because neither was attractive. Not sure if wi-fi is better...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Indonesian first
singapore
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Location is superb, just 5-8min walk. However is better if they provide shuttle bus to BCS mall.
One thing surprise me is on top of provide pillows , this hotel provide bolster too.. Comfy and cosy!..
Disappoint me would the breakfast range is limited, porridge, egg station, less than 10 other dishes(spaghetti, nasi lemak etc). Only fries and nuggets suit my kids.

Room Tip: Due to the location, hotel room is often fully book. Plan early. Ask for room at swimming pool level...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

My first stay here and for hotels in Batam I thought it was quite good. Good size room and clean. The only let down was smoking in the restaurant. Although there is a non- smoking area, the smoke from a chain smoker at breakfast did not know this ! Both days.

Staff very helpful and friendly and always at hand.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Just stayed at the I Hotel for a weekend. Upon arrival, the experience was good as the door man cum porter was helpful and the service at the reception was very efficient.

However, I was a bit disappointed with the lighting in the lobby as the lighting was rather dim and dark.. The hotel has good security system where one can only get to your designated floor with your key card.

The rooms was a good size and clean, however they looked rather tired and needs an upgrade. The TV set was still the old style TV ( CRT) and not the flat LCD TV. The WIFI in the room was rather weak and had to look for the signal. The lighting in the bathroom was rather dim as well.

Quality of breakfast was good and they had an egg station as well. The plus point in this hotel is that its right next door to Nagoya Hills Shopping Mall. Surprisingly, the lighting around the hotel lighting the walkways were brighter than the hotel lobby and restaurant which made the safe to walk alone.

Overall I had a good experience stay.

Room Tip: if you want to get good quality WIFI signal, its best to get a room towards the center of the floor...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jimmy S
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Just got back from Batam. Stayed at I Hotel for 2 nights. Check-in and out reasonability fast. Reception staff and the door men were all very polite. Rooms we got on the 5th floor was quite big and clean. Nagoya Hill Shopping Center with lots of shops and a food street inside is just about behind the hotel. Now the cons for this hotel. Visited the bar there cos we thought we (2 couples) could enjoy some life music inside but to our dismay, it seems to cater more for the Ang Mohs. The girls inside hover around them. That we can still accept cos its seems to be the norm but we felt cheated. We ordered 2 shots each of Gordon Bleu for 3 pax but on receiving, we found the amount not right. We asked the girl who took our order but she just smile as if she don't understand. We do not mind paying but not short changed. We tried ordering another 1 shot of the same, but were told no more. Maybe they just divide the earlier order by 3 of their balance. Breafast at hotel, no much varieties. Had dinner at the Cinnamon Cafe (same as breakfast area), not many varieties also. Just a few dishes only and only 1 type of vegetable (brocoli) only. Booked 1 of the hotel transport to go to the Wet Market. Were told that the cost would be 35,000 for the 10 mins ride. Happy with the price, we told the driver to pick us up for the return trip, but to our horror on reaching the destination, we were told to pay 70,000. We thought it was for both ways, but when we reached the hotel, we were asked to pay another 70,000. Since it is not our turf, we did not argue but just showed our displeasure. Also we found the price of the hotel is on the high side.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patricia19580902
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Checked-in fast, checked-out almost instantly. All staffs are very polite from front desk counter, and having breakfast with my girlfriend at restaurant this morning :) A very short walking distance to Nagoya Hill shopping center.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NicholasTan1021
Singapore
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Check in was fast, we booked 1 Deluxe & 1 Superior thru Agoda and was given Deluxe room key when we arrive at 11am. Once we entered the room on 7th floor (#723), there was a very strong mouldy smell and was shocked to see a huge wall about more than 10ft at the balcony which totally blocked the view. So can imagine the room is dark during daytime unless you on the light. We quickly called reception to request change of room and was given #618, which had a pool view without balcony. Room was huge with King size bed and come with one bolster and FREE drinks in the mini fridge which was extra thought. Thumbs up!
Hotel was just 3 mins walk to Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall and city area. Also is 10mins away from HarbourBay Ferry Terminal with many food outlets.
Buffet Breakfast is only average, as not much selection. Only the Eggs Cooking section is good.
Room Air-con - woke up by the aircon noise.
Waiting Area- Should not allow smoking in the aircon, either separate the smoking area. We can't sit there as 2 guys were smoking and its so stink.
Reception- All smile and greet guest except one lady staff that don't smile. She looks pretty but too bad she pull a long face for that 2 days when I was there.

Room Tip: High floor and choose Even room nos.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family