“A clean hotel with strategic location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand I Hotel

Grand I Hotel
Ranked #12 of 99 Hotels in Batam
Malaysia
“A clean hotel with strategic location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

It is a hotel which is located near a shopping complex. The hotel provided shuttle service to the shopping complex during weekends or holiday. Even if need to, the shopping complex is just 10 minutes walking distance. The shopping complex provided all sort of things to buy, and also variety of food.
I Hotel is very clean, with a cosy room. Even though the hotel staff are not as friendly as those found in other Batam's resorts, they are still quite helpful.
The breakfast provided by the hotel has not much variety to choose from. But the other facilities such as jacuzzi and swimming pool is quite good. It is especially the gym, there are so many types of different fitness equipment.
As a hotel which consider a resting place, it certainly a good option. But if you are hoping for other activities in the hotel, it may not be that suitable.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Indonesian first
Sg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2010

I was not expecting much when the tour agent recommended I Hotel, as all I wanted was a getaway with my family over Chinese New Year. Having said so, the hotel of choice must be reasonably clean (cos my aunty is particular about cleaniness), near shopping mall (so that they can keep themselves occupied if I go for my golf game), near hospital in case of emergency (cos grandma has health concerns) etc. And I Hotel fits all!!!
We were welcomed with a fruit punch while waiting for our turn to check in. We were disappointed that our rooms are not ready but good thing was the hotel is near Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall. So we left our luggages with the concierge and went for coffee at NHSM (5 mins walk from the backdoor of the hotel, only for hotel guests with key to unlock the gate)
The breakfast spread in the hotel is wide and it varies. The first morning there was the traditional fried 'nian gao' (CNY glutinous rice cake) & the next morning they served the rice cake dipped in shredded coconut.
Steamboat at the Chinese restaurant is reasonably priced and we had our reunion dinner eating to our hearts' content.
For that, we worked out a fair bit at the gym every morning before we hit the restaurant for sumptous breakfast. I love their thread mills as there is an individual tv to each & I tuned in to local channels to catch up on what I was missing in Singapore.
As it was Chinese New Year, the yoga and aerobic classes are not conducted. At other times, hotel guests can join their scheduled classes.
Spa on the same level where the gym is, is worth trying. However, they dont have enough masseurs for a big group. Pre booking is advised.
Sauna followed by a dip in the pool is much refreshing and of course I wouldnt forget to mention my favorite jacuzzi!
Back in the room, I performed my Spa ritual with the coffee scrub & milk bath salt I bought from Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall. It's total indulgence! Ohmmmm!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2009

I hotel is clean and offer quite a good spread for the buffet breakfast. It is about 5-10min walk from the hotel back gate to the Nagoya shopping mall as well as the major spa and massage shops.

The swimming pool, outdoor jacuzzi, gym, suana and steam room are free to use.

Only drawback is that the taxi fare it charged to go from hotel to Batam Center. It is at Rupia 60K, on the high side as compared to the normal taxi that you get from Nagoya Shopping mall, at 45K-50K only.

If you like shopping, spa and massage, its location is superb.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

Its actually quite weird to see such a nice-looking & modern hotel in the middle of all the dusty roads, abandoned buildings & wild grass growing all over. The upside is that its really near to Nagoya Shopping Centre which allows us to buy all the grocery we wanted to bring back to Singapore.

It also kind of scary to see that all major developments have really tight security. Perhaps due to all the bombing incidents in Jakarta & Bali? They have many guards stationed at the entrance, scanning the cars when we go in & we have to walk through the metal detector before going into the hotel.

The hotel pool was pretty lovely but the view not so much. The water pressure in the bathroom was strong which is always a good thing. They also had free internet access which is great. Breakfast was okay but the eggs are done quite badly. The worst thing would have to be the filmsy pillows, blankets & mattress which cause me to lose quite abit of sleep. But other then that, everything esle was liveable with & relatively clean/comfortable. The bill works out to be about SGD$98 per pax (Deluxe Room) which I thought was a tad expensive but reasonable compared to the rest of the hotels in Batam.

At Batam, we did the usual Singaporean thing by buying an enitre year of supply of instant noodles (tasty mee goreng flavour not availiable in Singapore), sanitary pads (cheaper by 40-50%) & bath scrubs (very good quality & each tubs cost only SGD$1-2). The intinery is pretty standard for Singaporeans who goes to Batam. Spa, Seafood, Shopping at the Supermarket. Also, the prune flavour kueh lapis is a must to bring back too.

To note: Always book a good & trustworthy driver as it is not easy to move around the place (no public transport availiable) & for security consideration. Not a good idea to go out after dark as the roads are not well-paved & street lamps are few & far in between.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2009

Book a Deluxe room with king size bed that can sleep 3. Room is vy spacious and it overlook the swimming pool. Book online in US$ but when check out they bill in Indo$. The breakfast have limited choice and they dun have smoking and non-smoking section. So we have to bare with the smoking smell.

The swimming not vy big but i find it great enough. Tried the spa...massage, facial and foot spa @ ard S$55 for 2hrs. Massage quite gd. The only dissappointment is the facial. After the staffs put the mask on our face they say we have to wait for 20min. After 30min they dun even come back and remove the mask on our face...i even have to go and tell them our mask are done. They also have couple room.

Nagoya Shopping mall is only 5min walk from the back door of the hotel. Food is not a problem at all....they have chinese food, A&W, KFC and a hypermark.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2009

I am a frequent business traveller to Batam and have found the I hotel to be consistently of good service, modern, comfortable, clean and good value. The rooms are spacious and well equipped - good bed, LCD TV, tasteful modern furniture, built in fridge and safe. The deluxe rooms include a separate shower area and are very spacious. The hotel's location, being next to the Nagoya Hill Mall gives you access to a wide range of shops, restaurants and a large supermarket within a 3 min walk.

There is a reasonable selection at the breakfast buffet. The quality of food at the restaurant is slighty above average, but there are wide selection of restaurants at the nearby mall.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Pasir Ris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Probably the best Hotel in Batam. Room was very spacious, everything in the room is in working condition. Bed was splendid with new comforter I suppose. Unlike certain "hotels" with stains & brownish looking bed linen that makes you feel uncomfortable. Layout of the room is very elegeant, refrigerator are all built-in the wardrobes, making it pleasant to the eye. Complimentary breakfast in the coffee house is nice. 9.30am (Waktu Indo Barat), food is already finishing. Maybe the hotel management might want to extend the breakfast hours, as I can see many guest, walking out of the coffeehouse feeling disappointed as the food is running out.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple