“true break time from the city-to allow your mind to be idle from work. This is a true resort.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mutiara Beach Guesthouse

Mutiara Beach Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 18 Bintan Island B&B and Inns
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Taking a weekend break alone from the hectic work in Singapore, looking for a place that I can truly relax. This resort is really cute, because it gives me a genuine natural experience with wonderfully freshly made food(I particularly ordered the fisherman's basket for twice), fresh coconut drinks, and the very warm staff who are willing to attend to your needs anytime. They also made me well accompanied as I am traveling alone. Thought it will be bit scary staying alone as a girl but I think this place gives me a very secure feeling.
They also just opened a very pretty beach side bar-house which you can read, have drinks inside, and look at the calming sea view. ( I also saw Marc and the local people having a little opening ceremony.. Very cozy and warm ) I particularly like the night time-I could see many many stars above the beach where i also did a barbecue with staff nicely cooking the food for me. I did the spa twice in two days, sounds pretty excessive but they are at very good value.( perhaps with this mangrove/ river environment and service you can never pay just this price elsewhere ) so I genuinely feel that this is a resort where you pay for a value and not like they charge you everything expensively just because you are 'on holiday' and you are ready to spend.
Would love to be back for my next 'take a break', easy and relaxing, or at least for the fishing tour and some kayaking activity when the wind is not too strong.

Winnie

• Stayed February 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

We wanted a simple getaway. My 1st time to Mutiara beach though I have been to Bintan on other occasions. The journey from the ferry terminal to Mutiara Beach Guesthouse took almost an hour, not an enjoyable ride I must say. We are there for the Spa. The staff are friendly, and helpful.

My comments:
1. Lunch - very simple meal. Coconut tastes a little sour though. We did not manage to finish it.
2. Stray Dogs - There are 3 dogs roaming around while we were having our lunch. One of them barked loudly and we wonder why.
3. Sea/ Beach - Not a pleasant view at this part of the year. The current is strong and we do see a lot of dead sea weeds washed ashore.
4. Mangrove tour - Took a sampan and tour around the mangrove area. The water appears dirty and stagnant. A 3-minutes ride, nothing to shout about.
5. Updated ferry timing - We rushed back to the ferry terminal thinking that we can catch an earlier scheduled ferry. Possibly due to miscommunication, we arrived at the terminal only to realise that there is no scheduled ferry at 3 plus p.m.

Overall, it's still a ok getaway for us.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mutiara_Toby, Owner at Mutiara Beach Guesthouse, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
dear January guest

we very much value the feedback of our guests, as it helps us improve the quality of our services;
now i must say that i am a bit puzzled here, being unsure what our corrective actions should be...

the purpose of your trip was to visit our river spa, and to have a treatment there;
yet you have not mentioned how was your spa experience... we can only hope it was good

as you were only on a day trip, you did not get to stay at our guesthouse;
allow me to reply to your comments -

1. land transfer: the car ride from the ferry terminal to the river spa takes about 50 minutes on a well paved road, going through several small villages, alternating with plantations (rubber, palm oil and coconuts), with the final leg on a scenic coastal road

2. meal: our meals are cooked from fresh ingredients by our chef Ibu Rodiah, according to local home receipes... as for our coconuts, they are plucked every morning from our own trees, and they taste like, well... young coconuts

3. dogs: we have indeed 3 house dogs, which wear collars and are trained to be guest friendly... they have been sterilized by our vet, who gives them a yearly vaccination & medical check-up... they look after the security of our guests and sometimes bark to keep monkeys away

4. beach: as you mention, the month of January is the peak of the monsoon season, with strong winds, big waves and lots of rain... this is why the seaweeds sometimes manage to beat the daily cleaning patrol of our two beach attendants

5. mangrove tour: this is a little bonus we offer to our guests who would like to experience the natural beauty of our very own mangrove river... indeed, nothing much... mangrove water is dark but not dirty, and its movements follow tidal currents

6. ferry: i am very sorry for what seems to be a lack of communication, as the official ferry schedule is posted in our office... our staff would have been more than pleased to help you arrange your return trip to Singapore

we hope you can visit us again, maybe to spend a couple of nights at our guesthouse;
we love when our guests bring back good memories of their stay with us

Marc
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We wanted something simple and quiet to relax for a few days, to get away from the hectic buzz of Singapore over Christmas. Our expectations were absolutely fulfilled. We enjoyed our stay very much and definitely will come again.

The Pondoks were a good experience, as well as the delicious food (prepared to order), the already renowned coconut pancakes for breakfast, and the just plucked green coconuts. The staff was very helpful and courteous. We also enjoyed the relaxing massage at the river SPA very much.

As the place is in the middle of nature, bring sufficient insect repellent and make use of the mosquito coils provided. Also bring some TigerBalm (or similar) as magic weapon against the few bites that you still will suffer.

We arrived from Tanjung Pinang (which definitely is worth a visit) by taxi (200K IDR, approx 25S$, organized through the hotel where we stayed) and returned to Singapore from the BBT terminal in the resort zone (transport organized by the Guesthouse's staff).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

We went to Mutiara Beach Guesthouse my four friends and I for a weekend. We had an excellent time there, away from the crowd of the city.

As soon as you arrive at Bintan Ferry Terminal, you can see a cab driver waiting for you and your friends. An hour later, you arrive at the guesthouse where the staff has already prepared a welcoming and refreshing coconut. Once settled, all you have to do is enjoying an easy life for the time of your stay. Choose between going to the beach, fishing, reading, napping... For dinner, the staff can prepare a bbq with the fishing basket of the day. Then you can stay up till late playing cards or singing with the guitar player. What else?

The few raindrops we had on Saturday were largely compensated by one of the most relaxing massage I have ever had in little wooden houses over the mangrove. Wonderful !

To sum up, from the bbq chef to the masseuses and the cab driver, all the staff has highly contributed to make this stay as relaxing as possible thanks to its kindness.

Thank you !

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Stephan524
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2012

This will not be an ideal getaway if you only expect air-conditioned room, international buffet or lots of water sports. It is a great place to feel how the locals live without having electricity during the day and the extreme of not doing anything. People and staffs are more laid back and nothing is in a rush, not like how you feel when you are in Singapore.
The massage on the river was comfortable with reasonable price: $30+ for 75mins.
Food was superb: I tried Gado-Gado, Farmer's basket, Mee Soto and Nasi Goreng Kampung (My Fav). Even the deep fried shallot alone tasted amazing!! A serving of fruit came together. The pineapple was the best I ever had.
The downside is, I was bitten by the sandflies after I came out of the water on the beach. It took me 1 week to recover. Tips: remember to reapply insect repellent all the time; It can be quite cold if you want to shower on a rainy day (no hot shower available).

Room Tip: I stayed in the Standard Pondok where toilet is a short distance away. This is actually good enough...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I enjoyed my trip overall because of several things:
1. Hospitality. The staff are sincere, patient and obliging. We loved them! They truly made our stay so much better.
2. The river spa. Awesome experience having your massage out in a mangrove setting. This is a must-try and the top highlight of the trip for me.
3. Privacy. This place is truly away from the hustle and bustle of the other parts of Bintan.

Being a city person through and through, I knew there were going to be some getting used to going for a rustic getaway. Heed everything on the website about electricity, lack of water heating, lack of aircons, and abundant insects. I knew what I was going for and since these were all stated or informed to me beforehand, I'm ok with it all.

However, I did not enjoy the outhouse toilet (Pondok plus at $50 per night). It smelt bad (think there was a dead lizard), and the water pressure left much to be desired. We brushed and washed our face with the showers as the tap water supply was a mere trickle. There was a cockroach in my room when we got there (understand it is part of nature but still creeped me out a bit). Went for a night fishing trip and got back at 11.30pm when electricity is off, so we had to bathe in semi-darkness with the solar-powered lamp provided. Quite unsettling cos the creepies were out in full force all around us in the outhouse toilet. The room was neat and relatively clean (aside from the visitors of nature), but the pillows smelt stale and dirty. The beach was very private but it wasn't exactly clean. Waters were inviting but the lack of deck chairs and not-so-pristine sand didn't motivate us.

Nevertheless, I will return to this place as the owner, Marc, is very friendly and constantly improving the facilities. I know it's hard trying to balance rustic and comfort while keeping the Eco-friendliness of the place. Hopefully, Marc and his wonderful team of staff have some ideas to resolve that.

This place serves its purpose of keeping your mind off the stresses of city life and the distractions of technology (no tv, no electricity in the day, no wifi until 6-11 in the evening). The Aroma River Spa is truly a delight and must-try. The hospitality of the staff is amazing, my boyfriend and I were very taken with those guys (Doan and Vitalis) and their service.

Mutiara Beach Guesthouse is truly a gem in the making and I believe with the improvements Marc is working on, it will be a much-desired getaway destination especially for city-stressed people who just want to unload and be closer to nature.

Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Isabel W
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2012

If you're looking to get away from it all, this is the place. Literally. No TV, limited internet access, barely any mobile service, and electricity for only a few hours a day. It was perfect. We were in a standard pondok (S$40), the bathroom was a short walk away. It can be a pain in the middle of the night, but we didn't mind.
After reading a bunch of reviews about mosquitoes and sand flies, we were nervous. But if you bring a strong bug repellent, you'll be fine. I was able to get 100% Deet and only got 2 bites over our 3 night stay. If you're coming from Singapore, you can get the spray at Campers Corner off Waterloo Street (S$15). The staff also provides you with mosquito coils that you can burn in your room to help. And on one day I saw someone spraying to help with the bug problem.
The beach and grounds are really the highpoint here. Absolutely beautiful. The beach need a bit of work though. High tide tends to bring in the rubbish -- water bottles, food wrappers, cans, pipes...basically anything you can think of. It was never cleaned while we were there, but the owner, Marc, says they're going to start tackling the cleanup in the next few months. It's really too bad they are straddled with the cleanup of slobs throwing their trash into the ocean, but that's another story.
The best time to hit up the beach is at low-tide. It gets so low you can walk for about .25miles and it's only up to your shin! And it's worth renting a snorkel set (S$8/2hr) and checking out the reef. The water is clear and beautiful, but you will get tar on your feet. There's baby oil in the bathrooms to remove it.
The owner Marc is great. I flooded him with emails before we got there and he was quick in his responses. He's really upgrading the place -- and I say "upgrade" with the kindest intentions since I don't think it needs any! He's having a club house built right on the water, where they'll have a bar and lounge area and a big screen to watch movies or football. Should be done soon. At the same time, they'll start tilling the beach to help temper the sand fly problem (again, we didn't' have a problem with them). And they're going to have full time electricity soon too.
And the food. Oh my gosh, the food! It was AMAZING! Incredibly fresh and simple and delicious. The breakfast coconut pancakes are incredible. And it's worth doing the beach BBQ one night (S$15). Fish, chicken, coconut rice, french fries, veggies...so good! It's the most expensive thing on the menu, but everything is very reasonably priced.
Also make sure to get to the spa. We went twice! The massages are great (S$26 incl 20% discount for staying there, tip and GST).
A few comments...there could be some more comfortable lounging furniture. The hammocks on the beach are made from twine (?), but cloth hammocks would be more comfortable. And there could be some lounging chairs on the beach too.
But overall, this place delivers exactly what it promises to. And we can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Might be worth upgrading to get your own Western style toilet. Note: the toilet is not inside the po...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple