“One of a rare kind of beautiful simplicity.”

Mutiara Beach Guesthouse
Ranked #2 of 18 Bintan Island B&B and Inns
Sydney
“One of a rare kind of beautiful simplicity.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

For those seeking a real, back to basic yet idyllic authentic Indonesian experience, this is the place for you! An hour's drive through beautiful local villages and untouched nature from the Bintan Ferry Terminal, I arrive embraced by tall swaying coconut palm trees (planted by local staff's grandparents), handmade bamboo traditional pondoks and the tranquil sounds of nature. Built on a coconut plantation with its own stunning pristine beach (not another tourist in site- all for myself), I am immediately transported to a whole new world of blissful serenity and peace. My city-wired senses are calmed and I enter another realm of relaxation at the Aroma River Spa - one of the most unique spas I have ever encountered, built on mangroves. 1.5 hours of heavenly aromatherapy!! From the delicious fresh local lunches and dinners (grilled fish!!) and cooling tropical drinks (huge coconuts falling straight down from a coconut tree) to the many magic hammocks calling to be laid upon, to the unspoilt secluded beach and gorgeous clear blue warm waters and warm loving laid-back hospitality of the local staff, this place will take your breath away. There is so much privacy you can come and go with whatever tickles your fancy.

Thank you to all the staff (simple yet loveliest and happiest people) who made this one of my favourite off-the-beaten path natural experiences. Thank you to Marc who shared his story and the interesting history of the land. In two days I have fallen in love with Mutiara and am planning a longer trip back to learn more about this special land, its wells and healing powers, practice yoga and daily meditation, read, sleep in a pondok and simply reconnect to myself.

Please keep this guesthouse as traditional, simple and rustic as it is - for this is its true appeal. In a world of expensive resorts, Mutiara is an absolute unique character of a gem!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Before coming to Mutiara Beach Guesthouse we wer not sure, whether there is place in this world, where you can enjoy your free time simply and naturally, without crowds, but with full catering and accomodation comfort. Now we are sure - there is the place. If you look for quiet place at sea shore, simple, but perfect accomodation, very good food and friendly staff, all in tropical environment, GO HERE.
If you wanted floor carpets, warm water, airconditioning, shopping center, swimming pool or similar superfluous things, this would not be place for you...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin P
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Mutiara was a perfect break from travels through Japan and Singapore - a way to get back to basics and totally relax. The beach and grounds are beautiful, and the food was all excellent. The staff was attentive but not intrusive - the perfect combination! We stayed in Pondok #7 and it was excellent - both clean and in a good location on the grounds - close to the beach and a little walk back to the restaurant area. This is definitely NOT the spot for all travelers - if you want a Club Med resort style experience, just go there. For people who are outdoorsy and enjoy the peace and quiet, Mutiara is a great find!

Room Tip: Pondok's 5-8 are located closer to the beach - Pondok's 1-4 are closer to the main office an...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I was looking for a place where I can relax and enjoy nice sea view.Mutiara was absolutely the perfect place for me!!!
Only less than 10 pavilions in huge coconut plantation. I stayed three nights and could charge positive energy.

Here was my relax day
Get up early, then go to a beach to enjoy seeing sunrise, eat local food with tea as breakfast, rest in a hammock , swim in clear and beautiful beach, ate lunch, read books, go to spa for extra relax, eat dinner early, just spend time for seeing beautiful stars(amazing!!), go to sleep early.

I thought three nights were too long to stay before visiting, but I thought I wanted to stay much longer when I left.

All Staff were very kind and friendly with good smile:)
The Manager has working experiences in other famous resort hotels in Bintan and severals hotels in Singapore. So he knows what guests wants.I really appreciate their hospitality.

One more good thing is there is a nice spa, Aroma River Spa.
I know ladies are so demanding.I am one of them. I want to enjoy nature environment but I still miss spa. I went to Spa everyday, That spa is very nice. Locate in mangrove and made me relax.

Finaly, I would like to say thank you, Marc. You replyed emails quickly and that would be very appreciated. It was nice to see you on the last day fortunately.

I really recommend Mutiara everyone who are looking for a place to relax.
I definitely come back. Can't wait next visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

The resort is a lovely back to basics retreat for a few days. It is very well maintained, clean and you have just around all you need. But not more! So be prepared to have some quiet and relaxing moments and bring your own book or music if you need distraction.

The beach is really close and perfect for cooling down or for long walks. The resort provides equipment like surf boards but I did not try that out.

The staff is very friendly, kind and attentive. Also, the food is really delicious. Thanks to all those people who made it possible.

We had massages at the enclosed River Spa. We both had fantastic massages in a unique surrounding. Try it out!

Actually, I cannot think of anything negative. It was the perfect place for me and my friend. Come here and see for yourself.

Some advise: Coming from Singapore to the ferry terminal by public transportation: Do not underestimate the time it takes by MRT & Bus to Tama Merah Ferry Terminal! Also, if you take the taxi back on Bintan from the resort to the ferry terminal early in the morning, you may want to have the ride reconfirmed the night before.

Room Tip: I think the only difference between the Standard and Plus Pondoks is the location.... The Plus Pondo...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

We visited in early November with our two children. This is not an ideal place to stay with two very young children in the midst of the rainy season as accommodation is perfectly comfortable but quite basic (no connecting bathroom etc), the only largish, roofed space is up incredibly steep steps, there is no electricity until 6pm so in the rain there is little to do as it is too dark inside the bedrooms to even read a book. Also we had to get our mosquito nets changed 3 times to get them without holes! This was vital as the insects are voracious. We arrived on Friday and apparently there had been fogging earlier in the day and we covered ourselves with insect repellent but to no avail. Don't think Mutiara could do any more than they do to control the problem it is just a hazard of the time of year.

Out of monsoon season the place would be great - beach and location is absolutely beautiful, rooms basic but perfectly comfortable and clean, staff incredibly helpful and kind. We will go back but NOT in rainy season.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mutiara_Toby, Owner at Mutiara Beach Guesthouse, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
dear November guests

thank you for sharing this feedback, which we find to be fair;
we are very sorry that your visit was not as good as it should have been

our team has discussed your review for corrective actions;
the following measures were taken immediately, under my direct supervision:

1. evaluation of the rooms access, to make them more children-friendly
2. inspection of all mosquito nets, replacement of substandard ones by new nets

we also have 2 good news: first our resort is now connected to the grid, with 24-hours electricity
... and we have hired a foreign mosquito-control specialist, to help us better address the pest

as you know from the Singapore press, this monsoon seems to have the most rain ever...
even though we still get great sunny days, the extra rain has been a challenge for all of us

i agree that our natural environment on a wet day can get a bit overwhelming at times;
with electricity available, our beach club's satellite TV now offers daytime entertainment for kids

we look forward to your next visit... once the monsoon is over
our team wants to surprise you with all the upgrades we are now working on...

Marc
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We paid extra to stay in the spa villa, as we have 2 kids, so once extra beds had been purchased for any other room, it wasn't that much extra. It was ok, but why it was built where it is, is beyond me. It is near to the road and right next to the local mosque. Whilst I am totally understanding of local religions, the call to prayer starting at 04.45 and lasting for 25 mins, is perhaps something you want to consider. Why this spa villa wasn't built by the sea with a sea breeze, I don't know. I won't repeat other things that have already been said. BBQ was expensive 15 SGD and small. Remember everything on the menu is plus 21%. I don't mind paying for service, but when I have to walk 5 mins to get a beer from the bar and then am handed it out of a cool box and never offered a glass, I am not quite sure I should pay 10%. No fruit juice served with breakfast, one can of fanta between 4 of us was included, aparently. Got bitten to death, despite deet. Marc was very helpful. The elec was on until about 3 in the morning and then again, sporadically and briefly during the day, so I wonder whether they just don't want to turn the generator on, to keep up the rustic charm. Who knows!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Nevis_8
Mutiara_Toby, Owner at Mutiara Beach Guesthouse, responded to this review, 25 August 2013
dear August guest

thank you for visiting us, and for taking the time to write down your impressions
... as for all guests reviews, i have shared them with our management & staff, who are learning how to turn critical reviews into valuable instruments for change

1. Spa villa: this house was actually built as a private retreat for the owner and his visiting friends;
as it turns out, we have had a lot of requests from guests wanting to stay in the Spa villa, and it is now open to guests bookings... needless to say that i do not get to enjoy 'my' house anymore ;-)
the Spa villa, as indicated by the name, is located close to our river spa; in line with our 'village homestay' concept, there is also a local village in the vicinity... the beach is less than 2 minutes away

2. Mosque: your stay happened to be during the Ramadan period, which indeed means that our usually sleepy local mosque is getting a bit busier;
we are in very good terms with the villagers, since a lot of them are working at our resort, and as such we have asked the community leaders to control the volume of the calls for prayer, which they did... i am very sorry if they were still too loud

3. Beer glasses: it is a general policy of most beach hotels, not to provide glassware near the beach, to avoid possible injuries caused by broken glass in the sand;
our guests have the option of drinking from the can, or getting the transparent plastic gobelets which we provide... the first option seems to be the most popular though;
our Beach Club, located right next to the barbecue area and open 10am till 10pm, has a cool box which should be able to provide chilled drinks within calling distance

4. Meals: we take your comment seriously, as this is the very first complaint we have regarding the amount of food served for our beach barbecue;
i have asked our resort manager to discuss this with the chef, to ensure it does not happen anymore;
as for the breakfast juice, we are serving complimentary fruit juice from concentrate (not Fanta)... guests can also order fresh juices as an additional item, from our a-la-carte menu

5. Electricity: the good news is, we will be connected to the grid within the next couple of weeks... this should sort out most of the pending issues, such as fans in the rooms, wifi in the lobby and more variety on the menu;
... but we are not quite there yet, and for the time being our generator is running, as indicated on our guest information, from 6pm till 11pm... and to answer specific guests requirements, such as an order of fresh fruit juices from the blender ;-)

please visit us again soon... we trust you will like what you see!

Marc