“Unbelievable people and location”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed 22 May 2011

This was our fouth visit to Banyan Tree Bintan. Once again it was amazing. This is one of the oldest resorts in the chain so you need to be prepared for somethings to be a little old and tired. However somehow this just adds to the charm of the place.

The location is amazing - on the edge of the South China Sea! The people are amazing! Special thanks to our villa host - Andi, Lilik and Marcel in housekeeping for their wonderful skills with towels and making towel animals, Ardi in water sports who picked me up after i flew off the jetski and lastly Nelly the villa manager who made it all happen.

The only different thing this year was more children than ever before which made it a little noisy. This will put us off in the future as we go for the tranquility and serenity of the environment. The screaming children just dont add to that - its annoying.

See my video on youtube of the Bayfront 2 bed villa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS8UwvXbmAg

Thanks Bintan!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CLKPerth
Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed 12 May 2011

A very beautiful hotel of secluded villas in lovely tropical gardens with 2 pools, the beach and 3 restaurants to choose from. Instant relaxation. We stayed in a Seaview Villa, which was well appointed, spacious, comfortable and with some lovely little touches you'd expect from an expensive resort. There were different essential oils and incenses each day and different fruits. The view was lovely and the the outdoor spa was kept empty until used, so clean. The four-poster bed with mosquito netting was very comfortable. The shower looking over the view is great.
My partner was bored and frustrated by the long check-in process, while I found it charming. The lady went through everything in detail, but overused our names in being so formal. She mentioned the room rate, which was indiscreet when I was sitting there and the weekend was a gift.
The ferry from Singapore is easy, but no frills. Once at the terminal, the hotel staff make you feel pampered for the quick transfer. It is a bit more of a shock to the system when leaving the patch of paradise to queue at the end of the trip, but that may be that we were taking the last ferry on a Sunday night, so it was packed.
The food in the hotel was nice, but not spectacular. I was disappointed by Saffron the first night. I had been craving local food, so went to Saffron, but we found that Treetops and the Beach both had good mee goreng etc. The breakfast was good and with a wide selection - as you'd expect from such a hotel.
It was nice that they brought around complimentary fruit skewers and cones of sorbet at the pool. The pool staff were excellent - always making sure you had towels, water and insect repellant.
It is a lovely wide beach with very soft powdery sand and very clear calm shallow water. It feels almost deserted.
The golf buggies to transport you around the grounds are quick to arrive and the staff are very friendly. One buggy driver is wonderfully happy.
I've stayed at other hotels in this style and find this a well executed version. It was nothing new, but consistent. A truly wonderful, romantic, relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OzEnigma
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We stayed back in January and had an amazing time. Even after a few months I still remember how fantastic everything was.

From the moment we arrived at the ferry terminal the staff were friendly, professional and helpful. We got the VIP express clearance and it's the way to go as it's just so easy and quick. When we arrived, our villa wasn't ready so we were taken in a buggy to Treetops, this was to be expected as we arrived quite early.

We were booked into an Seaview Villa, despite booking a Valley Villa and although it hadn't been refurbished it was still spectacular. The condition of the room was good despite it's age but you could tell it was time for a refresh. The daily servicing of our villa was perfect, our daughter loved the little turtle they left on the bed and each day the swans or elephants made from towels was a nice touch.

Some other reviewers have commented on it not being child friendly but we found the staff to be fantastic with our toddler-aged daughter and didn't feel like we were at all unwelcome. In fact they doted on her so much she got to know a few staff quite well. Nothing was ever too much trouble and all staff we came across were fantastic.

The food at Banyan Tree Bintan was probably the highlight for us. Dinner at Saffron was one of the best thai meals we've had. The flavours were amazing and the service was great. Breakfast is quite a simple buffet, with enough options to satisfy but not as extensive at others we've had.

I also tried a yoga class and spa treatment during our stay, neither of which I could fault at all. The yoga instructor was very friendly and professional and I thoroughly enjoyed the class. Despite the buggy dropping me to the wrong villa for my treatment, I had to walk there myself in the end, the spa was one of the best I've been to - and I've been to a lot! The spa therapist was friendly and professional and the treatment was amazing.

Overall there is very little we could fault with our experience at Banyan Tree Bintan. I'm sure that other properties may be slightly more luxurious, but for the price we think it's brilliant.

Room Tip: Attend a yoga class and dine at Saffron
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ness_st
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We loved the view from our villa and the infinity pool was bigger than expected. Staffs were generally courteous and friendly. However, there were a number of service failures. Firstly, our check in time was 3pm (other hotel's check in is 2pm). The staff mentioned that because it's a villa they need to tidy up so that's why check in is at 3pm. But because the previous occupants have not vacated the existing villa, the staff told us that check in can only be made at 4pm. Frankly we feel quite cheated because firstly the villa didn't come cheap...it was US$794.55/night and by asking us to check in at 4pm, half the day is gone. The staff suggested that we go for complimentary afternoon tea. We later enquired about pasar oleh oleh and the staff quickly offered complimentary transport to that place and the complimentary afternoon tea seemed to have been forgotten. We didn't want the staff to waive the transport charges for us in the first place because it was cheap in the first place. We would rather she still let us check in at 3pm with another villa instead because time to us is very important and time lost is opportunity cost to us.But she told us that because it's Easter Sunday and all their occupancy is at 100%. Fine..we went to pasar oleh oleh and when we returned to the villa, we found ants-infested muffins that greeted us instead in the bedroom. Yes we appreciated the gesture of easter muffins on easter day but shouldn't the muffins be kept in the refrigerator in the kitchen instead. When we asked for replacement, the staff told us that the kitchen was closed and that replacements would be sent to us the next day but again the complimentary muffins were forgotten. We reminded the concierge that we didn't get the muffins and she gave us an incredulous look like the matter was totally trivial. Yes to her it might be trivial but to my daughter it was really important. She was actually quite traumatised by the dozens of ants surrounding the easter muffins and cried at the sight of them the night before. We promised that she will get her muffins. Eventually we did after subsequent reminders. On the second day we found a rusty nail near the swimming pool where the deck chairs were placed. Luckily none of us stepped on it. Yes..we signed the disclaimer to waive off all responsibilities to the management pertaining to accidents related to children at the villa but a rusty nail could prove fatal even to an adult leading to tetanus infection. Shouldn't the staffs have taken more care to clean up the villa and avoid possible mishap. Before we went swimming, we requested for fresh towels but waited 1 hour for the towels to arrive eventually after the second reminder to the staff. We actually planned to go for early lunch but because of the wait our schedule was disrupted again. Really...a series of service failures one after another from the late check-in to forgotten tea time snacks, and towels and the near accident caused by the rusty nail and ants-infested muffins. Yes...the hotel staff did waive our transportation costs for us but that does not make up for all the series of service failures that we encountered along the way. Truly, we didn't enjoy our stay at Banyan Tree Bintan at all because promises made were not delivered and we had to keep on reminding the staff. To us, it was the most stressful and unmemorable trip ever.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
BTGroup, Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2011

Dear tan090,

Thank you very much for your constructive valuable feedback posted here, they are very important and will help us improve our product and service.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the disappointment you had experienced during your stay with us. We would like to apologize for the lapses of service during your check in process.

Please accept my unreserved apologies that our service did not meet the level of quality that you have come to expect from our hotel. I have personally raised this matter to our House Keeping Manager and ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

We hope this experience will not impair your trust in our hotel and thank you very much for bringing this to my attention.

We hope you would consider to giving us the opportunity to welcome you again as our guest in the future.

cc. Grace Yuliastuti
Executive Secretary of Hotel Manager

Reviewed 22 April 2011

We just stayed for 2 nights at Banyan Tree Bintan and we enjoyed the stay.

The staff were friendly and helpful. During our stay, we did not meet anyone who did not greet or give us their big warm smile. The staff were attentive to ensure all our needs were met. During my booking, the hotel offered complimentary birthday cake to us when they knew we were there to celebrate my hshands birthday. That was thoughful. The villa was designed with little details which was sweet, e.g. personal toiletry bags for HER and HIM, scents within the villa, etc. I love these personal touches.

The spa was a bliss and the spa villa had exceeded my expectation. Remember to make advance appointment. We would love to do more but as the appointment for the day was rather packed and hence we could only extend 30 minutes more.

We had Dinner of the Legend. It did not turn out as romantic as I would have pictured, e.g. was a little too dark to see our food or the sea (probably could advise guests to have the dinner earlier and witness the "sunset") when we had our dinner at 630pm, the monsoon period ended and there was no wind, and hence it was rather warm and the seat felt wet. It was a shame that we started the dinner late and I missed the chance to take a nice picture.

Yes, there are little flaws here and there, but we definitely have enjoyed our stay, and have no qualms returning or visitng other Banyan Tree resorts.

One feedback to the villa:
I did not like the conditioner at all. I had almost applied all but yet it still left my hair dry and brittle.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2011

I can say nothing that hasn't been said before! I was looking forward to a well earned holiday and the place I chose looked on the Internet fantastic! However, it is shoddy the deck areas are a mess, if not dangerous! With rotten and uneven deck boards. I didn't realise there was a hotel right next door so it isn't as far away from it all as I would have hoped! The pool staff have not even moved people fromnext doors hotel from the exclusive beach area! This annoyed me as I saw several couples looking for somewhere to rest!

Overall I think they need to employ someone to manage the accommodation better as they have let the villas become run down too much! There was one close to my villa that had tarpalin over the roof it just looks poor! They need to close down the place to bring up upto standard quickly!!!

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank Lovelytimeneeded
BTGroup, Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2011

Dear Lovelytimeneeded,

We sincerely appreciate your constructive feedback regarding your recent experience at our resort. It is through feedbacks such as yours that enable us to reinforce the quality of our resort.

We were dismayed to read that tarpaulin over the roof near to your villa and the deck area has impaired your impression of our resort. We are pleased to inform that our resort is currently undergoing upgrading with the aim to retain the luxurious standard of Banyan Tree.

We hope you would give us the opportunity and honor to welcome you back to our resort in the future.

Reviewed 11 April 2011

From: Jack F [mailto: removed]
Sent: 08 April 2011 13:55
To: Reservations Bintan
Subject: Enquiry

Dear Banyan Tree Bintan

I would like to bring my parents on holiday from 27-29 May and I am thinking of your resort. However, from reading many reviews on trip advisor it seems that you are currently refurbishing the resort. I was wondering if you could update me on its progress? Are many of the rooms now complete?

Also, for two couples which villa would you recommend?

Jack

------ reply 9 April 2011 -----

Dear Mr. Fitzgerald,

Warm greetings from Banyan Tree Bintan!

Thank you for your email and interest for your upcoming visit. The Banyan Tree Bintan is nestled atop a secluded bay on the northwestern tip of Bintan Island, Indonesia and occupies a breathtaking seafront area overlooking the South China Sea. The resort is the epitome of tropical retreat experience living, offering exclusive villa lifestyle amidst the mystic charm of its natural surroundings.

Enjoy your private and idyllic moments with our exquisite spa treatments at our world-renowned Banyan Tree Spa, Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan in Indonesia is a leisurely retreat just 55 minutes away from Singapore via high-speed catamaran.

We would like to share with you that our resort is currently undergoing serial of maintenance, particularly our villas, with the aim of reviving the hotel to align with standards that Banyan Tree in known for. This maintenance program is scheduled partly and continually.

We are pleased to offer the following villas for the period of 27 – 29 May 2011 at our Best Available Rate for your consideration:

Seaview Villa
Perched on a hill slope amidst lush tropical surroundings, this Jacuzzi villa affords splendid views of the ocean through shady age-old trees. Built on stilts to preserve as much of the natural vegetation as possible, you'll live in the canopy and experience the supreme in peacefulness. You might even spot the occasional monkey on your verandah or hear frogs frolicking in the night.
Villa rate at USD465++ on (weekend)

Seafront Villa
A shimmering ocean vista unfolds at the Seafront Jacuzzi Villa, which is built on stilts into the hillside. Dream away as the sun sets on the horizon and graces the sea with its warm golden glow. Featuring traditional Indonesian architecture and authentic local décor, each villa is luxuriously appointed; from the 5m-high rustic Balinese grass roof to the extravagant bathroom with sunken bath.
Villa rate at USD500++ on (weekend)

Villa On the Rocks
Built on the boulders next to the sea, the Villa On-the-Rocks is perfect for ocean lovers. Wake up to the sound of waves breaking on the rocks; or let the song of the sea be your lullaby. The lavish accommodation provides privacy, tranquility and romance, from the walled courtyard garden to the sensuous four-poster bed.
Villa rate at USD535++ on (weekend)

The above rates are subject to 21% service charge & government tax and quoted per villa per night

Your stay will not be complete without experiencing the magic of our world renowned Banyan Tree Spa. Enter the peaceful sanctuary amidst the sensual Asian floral scents, unwind your body and mind as you discover your inner harmony. For easy reference, please click on our spa website:

Ferry transfer from the Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal, Singapore to our Bintan resort is arranged by Bintan Resort Ferry. It takes approximately 55 minutes for the ferry journey to our Bintan resort.
It is highly recommended you have reserve a confirmed return seat to Singapore. Please contact Bintan Resort Ferry at +65 65424369 or visit their website at www.brf.com.sg for the ferry schedule, fare and online reservation or email to reservations@brf.com.sg

Land transfer from the Bintan Ferry Terminal is a 15- minute drive to the resort. Two way car transfers can be arranged at US$25nett per car for a maximum of 3 persons. Please advise if you require the transfer arrangement.

Please be informed that no villa/s has been blocked for you at this moment and confirmation of villa is subject to availability at the point of reservation. Please provide your credit card number with its expiry date to confirm the booking.

We certainly look forward to your favorable response. Please feel free to contact us if you require any further assistance.

Best regards,

[name removed]

Back to my comments: I acknowledge this is not a hotel review, but it is a review of sorts - this 'copy and paste' response reflects on the attitude of the hotel and staff to prospective guests concerned about the renovations. Imagine this attitude when you check in and find that your villa is right next to construction.

Living in Singapore and wanting a quick option for a luxury hotel I REALLY want to visit and love the Banyan Tree in Bintan... but such a formulaic, lackluster response is pathetic from a resort claiming to be part of one of the best hotel chains in the world.

Obviously people will have great experiences and average ones, that is the nature of any holiday. My reason for sharing this is NOT to scare people off from the hotel as there are enough positive reviews here, rather it is to give a very public example to management that if you are going to charge those prices and make such claims, back it up with levels to service that match!!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank fitzgeraldjk
BTGroup, Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2011

Dear fitzgeraldjk,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you experienced concerning the lapse in service from our reservations department. I have personally discussed this matter with the department head concerned and immediate preventative measures are implemented to avoid reoccurrence. Thank you very much for your feedback and it is feedback like yours that we continuously strive to improve on our service and product.

The ongoing refurbishment and maintenance work that are being carried out around the villa is to upgrade the resort’s rooms and facilities. It is necessary in order to maintain the high standard of Banyan Tree. However, the comfort of our guests is our first priority; therefore we ensure the area around the villa with on-going maintenance work is being blocked off.

We sincerely apologize for the lapse of service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you as a guest to Banyan Tree Bintan at the end of May 2011.

We certainly look forward to providing you a real Sanctuary for the Senses.