“Excellent resort that exceeded our expectations”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent resort that exceeded our expectations”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we were subjected to the most friendly and courteous service we have ever experienced. From the lobby to the buggy drivers to the restaurants and spa staff we were treated like royalty. Something rare to find at any hotel. Our stay was just 4 nights in early December 2013. It rained most of the day for 3 of them but this didn't detract from the beautiful setting and the luxury of everything. We visited the spa every day and despite the $1000 bill for the privilege, the experience was like nothing we had ever experienced and we believe it was worth every penny. If you want a slice of pampered paradise at a reasonable price, look no further. We won't hesitate to visit again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you taking the time and share your experience.

I am glad that the rain did not deter you from having a fantastic holiday at Banyan Tree Bintan and that the spa exceeded your expectations. Our team is indeed doing their upmost to not only provide profession treatments, but moreover creating experiences. I am delighted to pass on your kind comments on our associates and the spa to the team!

I am looking forward welcoming back to Banyan Tree Bintan.

Banyan Tree Bintan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I turned 40 this Dec and decided on a "spoil myself rotten" getaway with my husband and stay at where I think is the marquee name in luxury resorts - The Banyan Tree. I had been to Bintan about 20 years over years ago when I was a teen and I had forgotten how closely a quiet tranquil paradise awaits from a 50 min boat ride. The service the minute we arrived at the terminal in Bintan was nothing short of immaculate and professional and warm, this was much credited to my amazing Villa host Yusuf. And aside from Yusuf the warm smiles and immaculate service at the Treetop restaurant to our housekeeping staff (who one night surprised me with an acapella serenade of Happy birthday!) to my lovely yoga teacher Vshnu and the spa staff made the stay feel like I was amongst friends not just staff. So now the villa, quite simply the two bedroom villa just took our breathe away and I've seen some really fancy places (not as a customer but as a director who's filmed these types of resorts for television shows) our villa was perched on a hill facing the sea and we soaked in the sunset every night. It is possibly the most romantic place we have ever stayed in. Yusof (our villa host) told me on the second night of our stay that if we stayed up late we could see shooting stars. My husband and i cuddled up on a deck chair and looked up and within 10 minutes of star gazing we saw an enormous shooting star! it was magic. I've been to the grand canyon and seen my share of shootings stars, this one was the biggest. As if that couldn't be topped, earlier the housekeeping staff had surprised us by decorating our pool and bedroom with candles and flower petals. Like how much better could this get! The third day my girlfriends came to join in and we did yoga, rowdy fun ATV rides through the jungle and beach (destroying serenity as my husband joked ;) and topped it all off by an intimate and delicious in villa bbq where one of my many my lingering memories was of this delectable chocolate cake with berries inside. Now the food, the breakfast spread is so varied and delicious in particular the breads and cold cuts /cheese and salad spread, it held us right through till dinner (or tea time). The food is really very very good, right down the presentation of it. My only regret is not getting a chance to try the famous Thai restaurant the hotel is famous for. Three magical, special days in Bintan Banyan Tree. Best birthday ever, only to be topped up when I turn 41 and return :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

I am delighted to read that we were able to create a magical memory for your special birthday. We are trying very hard to create very personal and special experiences for our guests making unforgettable memories and exceeding expectations. Your gracious comments on the team made me very proud, they are indeed very special and your account has reinforcing my belief into their professionalism and dedication. Let me assure you that compliments will be posted on the noticeboard and shared with everyone.

I am looking forward welcoming you back soon for your next special occasion.

Cape Town
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

This once amazing resort is in serious need of an upgrade. My first visit was 18 years ago when it first opened and not much has changed since then. We had to move villas because of a broken air conditioner and the next day discovered that the original villa was now undergoing repainting, re-thatching and getting a new air conditioner! Why were we booked into this villa in the first place? Mosquito fogging is a necessity but did they have to do it at midnight last night? And without prior notice. This is a blot on an otherwise amazing landscape of Banyan Tree Resorts of which I am lucky enough to have stayed in a few. Service, staff and food were, however, excellent.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynn T
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Lynn T,

Thank you for your comments and please accept my sincere apologies for our shortfalls. I have discussed your feedback with the respective Heads of Department.

Your observation on the resort being the same is correct, we are going at length to maintain the traditional Balinese style of our villas making it so unique. Having said this we indeed did fall short having you assigning a villa which was due for our rigorous upkeep program which we have in place to keep our standard. At the same time I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay once we corrected our mistake.

The mosquito fogging is taking place to protect our guests, but I have noted your comment on the timing which I will review with the team. You should also should have received a letter advising you of this, an inconsistency I will also address with the team.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back again in one of your travels.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Banyan Tree Bintan for the last few nights of our honeymoon. Leading up to the stay I read reviews and began to think we had made a mistake spending such a lavish amount and would be disappointed. From the moment we arrived on the ferry I knew we wouldn't regret it. We were met by a staff member and escorted through customs, helped to collect our bags and driven by private car to the resort. Check in was very quick and simple and our room was absolutely beautiful. The staff member who showed us to our room explained where we could find everything in the room and how to call for the buggy service, find breakfast etc and left us to it. We had the 'Blue Moon' Dinner package that night and the staff made our outdoor area look absolutely stunning with decorations, lanterns and beautiful tableware. Our dinner was absolutely delicious! The rest of the stay was equally wonderful and very relaxing. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and couldn't do enough to help. Yes, there are gecko's and even the odd bat, but it's all part of the surrounds in the rainforest and the staff are happy to help if your little visitors are making you uncomfortable.
The price is reasonable for the service and setting and all the food was lovely. We stayed at a resort on Sentosa Island prior to arriving at Bintan that was very sub-standard in comparison and charged almost 50% more for room service and mini bar items, so we found the Banyan Tree very reasonable in price for dining.
We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for your time of posting your experience here at Banyan Tree Bintan. It goes without saying that I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the unique nature setting of our Hotel. We always endeavor of personalize everyone’s stay, creating experiences rather than providing a service only. I am glad we have succeeded and hope to welcome you back some time soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on the recommendation of a friend. It was just like being in paradise.
I stayed in a sea view villa with its own outdoor jacuzzi and small pool, villa 510. It was so quiet and secluded, I just spent most of the time relaxing on my lounger and reading
The staff couldn't have been more friendly or accommodating. I was always ordering a buggy to take me from one place to another ant they didn't seem to mind. This also has it's downfall, as my villa was a long way from the library, restaurants, pool and spa. It was just too hot and humid during the day to do the hike and a night it was pretty dark with all the night time wildlife out. So it was actually an effort to go to the pool for a swim, at 20 minutes walk from your villa
My air conditioning wasn't working one evening, but they sent maintenance straight away and my room was cool again in 30 minutes
The food was ok, not superb but pretty good, although it was expensive. It was nice to eat breakfast outside and they served until 10.30am so plenty of time for a lie in
One evening they brought dinner to my villa and set up the table outside. This saved me the hike to the restaurant
Transfers were quick and reliable, just email the hotel before you arrive. It's only 25$ return trip and they sort out your boarding pass for the return trip. I even left my mobile charging in the library but they brought it to me within 15 minutes and before the ferry left
This really is luxury in paradise, but it doesn't come cheap, but I suppose you get what you pay for, peace and tranquility. You really don't need to come into contact with other guests, if you want to be completely alone. You can get a reasonable deal, if you shop around
Try out the spa, I can highly recommend it
If I had been there longer, I would have tried out some of the day trips
All this and only 45 minutes by a comfortable ferry from Singapore. But make sure you take lots of insect repellant. The Mosquitos are ferocious!

Room Tip: If you can afford, the more expensive rooms, they will give you more of a luxurious stay in paradise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear lisasplaces,

Thank you for putting your comments up on Trip advisor and I am delighted to read that you had a fantastic stay with us. Your kind remarks of our associates will be passed on to them on our notice board - we are indeed very proud of them and your comments reinforce our belief into their professionalism.

I am glad that our buggy service got you to places, unfortunately having the unique seclusion of your villa has its downside and it is my sincere hope that this did not inconvenience to much.

Again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward welcoming you back very soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Unobtrusive luxury in the middle of sea and lush green tropical rainforests, it was simply divine! The staff were more than willing to serve and quick to retreat to give u the sense of privacy.. Considering that there is no air fare involved the 2 day retreat from Singapore was just awesome

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Puri A, on behalf of Stefan Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Devban,

Thank you for your comment. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in the unique setting of Banyan Tree Bintan.

We are proud of our team here and your comments endorse our belief into their dedication and professionalism.

We look forward to welcoming you back again for another mini vacation.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I went with my wife for our 10th anniversary, we spent 4 nights in a sea front villa, with all objectivity the hotel is wonderful, staff is extra helpful and cheerful, they respond instantly to any request, the beach is the main highlight , pools are wonderful too and restaurants are ok. The main drawback is the huge number of lizards all over the walls, and the worst thing is the bats ....yes bats are hanging over the ceiling of the outside deck to the extent that we were scared to use the villa relaxation pool and we ended up paying $600 a night for a room that we have never enjoyed ,,,,,it was a relief that we were out most of the day. If you are a night person be aware that life stops once the sun set , you have nothing to do but eating out in one of the 3 restaurants or go for a massage ....after seeing Angsana hotel, next to Banyan and knowing it is a sister hotel ( shared facilities ) I would highly recommend staying over in Angsana and just try one of banyan restaurants one day. Angsana is almost 40% cheaper and bats free er

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear A Trip Advisor Member,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay in Banyan Tree Bintan. As you rightly have pointed out, our unique setting in the jungle is also our biggest challenge. We are addressing the bat issue at the moment without harming the animals and disturbing the natural environment.
I am truly sorry that this has affected your experience and am disappointed that we have failed to move you into villa which is not exposed to the fruit bats.

It is my hope to be able to welcome you personally back in either Angsana Bintan Hotel or in our Banyan Tree Bintan Villas.