“Good, but misses the Banyan Tree mark”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Banyan Tree is a high end brand and Bintan is no exception - good service, staff generally attentive, rooms adequate, but and a big but, not to the same quality as the other properties in the stable. Don't get me wrong the resort is great and everything one might expect but it feels tired and for what you pay you should expect a little better across everything. My guess it suffers from Singapore syndrome, priced for the island next door and looking to exploit this these days. You will not be disappointed but for the money there are other options.

Room Tip: Make sure you know exactly where your room is located when you are booking.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear TheWiseTraveller_RB,

Allow me to thank you for your compliment on our services and associates. I am glad that we didn't disappoint you in delivering the true Banyan Tree Bintan experience.

Having said that it is regretful to hear that we have fallen short on some of your expectation. Our villa has a traditional Balinese design with touches of rustic charm hence it might appear old. However kindly rest assured that a comprehensive upkeep program has been in place to ensure they are always in good condition.

I look forward to welcoming you back again at our resort in the future.

Area General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a beachview villa, the villas are spacious and well appointed although somewhat dated, the pool villa is a bit disappointing about 6 inches deep but you can sit or lie in it for a quick cool off though your villa is airconditioned so we did not use the pool much.

They had 2 very nice pools on the property and a scenic beach which with lovely mild water temp and clear water. Deck chairs towels and cold water were readily supplied. All the service was very good ( except a major checkin issue with our daughters booking not being on their system, this can happen but after an hour of fiddling around it was still not resolved which was poor ).

We were happy with meals, including a BBQ to your villa which they will cook and serve.

We enjoyed our stay but would not go back, it is very expensive, as are the meals and booze, but not a lot to do apart from the swimming and lazing around ( which I am sure will suit a lot of people ).
Overall, I feel there are a lot of other options in Asia that provide what Banyan Tree did at a much lower price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank GrazSydney

Dear GrazSydney,

Thank you for your review.

I am glad to hear that you have stayed in one of our popular villas with a majestic view of the ocean. Indeed our villas can appear old due to the rustic charm from its traditional Balinese design. I am sorry that the description of our pool has created a different expectation from what it actually is. May I recommend our Two Bedroom Banyan Pool Villa, which has a private 1.3m swimming pool, to stay in for your next visit to Banyan Tree Bintan.

In this occasion let me also apologize for not meeting your expectation in the way we handled your daughter’s room reservation. This was due to a glitch in our system that has been looked into very seriously and a re-training of our associates has also been in place to prevent such issue from happening again in the future.

Your comments regarding our food and beverage prices have been well noted for a follow up. Being located in a secluded area with a pristine beach and surrounded by rainforest and unspoiled nature we face a challenge to get good quality products that can be delivered at lower cost. However, please rest assured that we are doing an ongoing effort to overcome this shortfall.

I really hope that you will change your mind and give us another opportunity to serve you again at Banyan Tree Bintan.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The stay at Banyan tree Bintan was excellent.
The room was well kept. On one day, the air con was out of order, the staff and hotel manager came to look for during our dinner and ensure that we can change to a new room.
At the restaurant, my kid has a bad tooth and can only take porridge , the staff went all the way to get it for us from another restaurant .
Excellent service.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear esesong,

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased to learn that you had an excellent experience staying at Banyan Tree Bintan.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the air condition issue, I am glad our follow up was at your satisfaction.

I wish your kid a speedy recovery from the bad tooth and I hope to seeing you back again to our resort soon.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

For the price we paid (do note that room rates stated in their website are in USD and are exclusive of tax), we certainly expected a lot more than we got.

The villa "pool" is more of a jacuzzi really, and a very cold one at that too. At such prices, you would expect a heated jacuzzi at the very least if you aren't getting a pool that's actually big enough to swim in wouldn't you?

What's even more incredible is the fact that guests are subject to a shocking lack of hot water in the shower to fill up the bathtub in the bathroom for a hot bath due to their hot water tanks being very small.

Why would you put in a nice big bathtub in the bathroom if you can't even provide guests with the necessary hot water to run a hot bath? Isn't that like a really basic requirement?

At such prices, it's really shocking to be subject to all these. And considering the kind of prices Banyan Tree charges for their villas, shouldn't Banyan Tree throw in free transfers at the very minimum? But no, they charge an extra US$25 for transfers from the nearby ferry terminal and it's really pretty distasteful after experiencing how little value our resort stay offered.

I won't be back again. Not unless the prices here are halved, which are really about how much they are worth if you were to compare stays at this property with similar resorts in the region.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bittenbytheTbugz

Dear bittenbytheTbugz,

I regret to learn that we were not able to meet your expectations. I am sorry that our room category description has confused you. Private swimming pools are available in our One Bedroom Banyan Pool Villas and Two Bedroom Banyan Pool Villas while in all other villas we have a relaxation pool, which is meant to refresh and cool you down.

I do agree with you that hot water is basic requirement and I do apologize for any inconvenience caused. As part of the environment saving program, our hot water system is linked to the air conditioning in the room and I am truly sorry that there was a technical fault in the system that had caused insufficient hot water.

I hope you would still give us another chance to deliver the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I have never written on trip advisor before for any other hotel but I feel as though I just have to say how great out break was. Please do not listen to any of the bad reviews - go and make your own judgement. As I know long essays on here can be boring I shall sum it up for you:

1. From the moment we got there to the moment we left the staff could honestly not have been nicer. They knew all of our names and nothing was too much. The service was amazing in both the restaurants, reception and in the room.

2. They have all the little touches AND MORE That you would expect from a top price hotel - refreshments, a light to see the menu at night so that the setting is still romantic and most importantly the golf buggies to take you anywhere so that it's very convenient and you don't have to walk to far.

3. Yes the food may be a bit expensive and yes compared to some places were you can go on a 5* package holiday it is a bit pricey... But honestly the food was beautiful. Great choice at breakfast (including the fact that you didn't have to wait in the sun for your omelette they even had someone to bring it in for you) and we ate in both of the restaurants and they were great.

4. The adults only pool was great - for families like us where we have no children it was great to just be able to go and relax in the quiet by the infinitely pool. For families they do have a pool but the resort is not geared up for children more for adults and romantic holidays.

Basically the whole holiday was faultless. We only stayed for two nights three days and wished that we had booked for longer.

Friendly staff
Relaxing
Top notch hotel
Really clean

We had one of the renovated sea front villas - 106 and 107 and we would definitly recommend them. The most beautiful room I have ever seen with your own plunge pool on the balcony.

The price you pay is a bit more expensive but like we everything in life - you get what you pay for.

Thank you for making our short break so great we will be back again. Room 106 and 107 x

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Vml792
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Vml792,

Many thanks for your gracious comment regarding your stay with us.

I am truly delighted to learn that you had a great short break at Banyan Tree Bintan and that our staff could live up to our standards to make your stay memorable. The team is working hard in providing unique experiences rather than providing only fantastic service.

In this opportunity, allow me to also thank you for being so appreciative about our breakfast and food in general. As you have rightly pointed out that the price is a bit expensive, this is something that the Area Executive Chef and myself have been working on continuously to source for a better priced product at equally good quality. It is indeed a challenge that comes with our idyllic location, which on the other side has allowed us to have a unique jungle setting and a pristine beach to enjoy.

Thank you once again for the praise and I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I made a last minute booking through agoda. Initally, I book a villa on the rock room but I was upgraded to a one bedroom pool villa. I also got a early check in in addition to the upgrade. When I first entered the room, I love it as I have a private pool and the view from my room was beautiful. The service of the hotel is good but I felt that the staff treat westerner better so I think they are a bit biased. However overall the service is still good. The room cleaniness is still up to my standard, considering the hotel opening for such a long period of time and without renovation. I dont like the outdoor sucken bath as it is very to the tree and there are insects aound and spider hanging on the tree. The hotel is also very isolated with no shops or nearby. The food in the restuarant and room price is too expensive. Even though I had very relaxing short getaway, I would not go back there again cosidering the room price.

Room Tip: Advise to lock all your windows and door especially during the night as there would be a lot of inse...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank lisalovetravel
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear lisalovetravel,

Thank you for taking the time and share your experience with Banyan Tree Bintan and I am delighted that you had a good stay.

As you mentioned everything in our resort is based on rustic luxury amidst the jungle, providing unique open-air experiences. The isolation and the wild life surrounding the villas are as much part of the experience as the unique Balinese style villa, which in their rustic style can feel old. Let me assure you that I am currently working actively with our Executive Chef to find a way to get better ingredients to our remote location, as we cannot import from Singapore and depend on deliveries from Jakarta at high costs.

I hope that you change your mind and we will be able to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

What a dissappointment.
Rooms were shabby with wine stains on the sofa and an almost non existant Wi-Fi connection.
Driving staff were reckless often speeding and dangerously overtaking othervehicles on bends.
Buggy drivers were also reckless, on one occasion sppeding in reverse and crashing into one of the roadside parafin lamps. The parafin spilt out onto my g/f's clothes and handbag. No towel offerd for clean up. Dinner of the legends was nice but the lunch we had in the treetop restauarnt was cold and didnt tase nice. The spa treatment was average and overpriced and they messed up the gift at the end by giving my g/f a gift for a man. Staff were the biggest dissapointed. Its clear their training has been neglected. No proactive at all and happpy to leave you sitting around waiting without managing your expectations. For the money you pay to stay here you expect 5 star but the service is 3 star at best. I wont be going back as its completely over priced.

manaing our expectations. I wouldnt go back and

While the room has a weak Wi-Fi connection and the stains on the sofa, b

Room has poor Wi-Fi connection, stains on the sofa

Room Tip: Montigo in Batam is much better value for money
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Keith M
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Keith M,

Thank you very much for posting this report. May I ask you to contact me on bintan@banyantree.com as I wold like to obtain additional information so we can investigate the incident.

I have to let you know that we never had any issues like this before as all our drivers are very well trained and have a strong sense of safety. As surprised I am as serious we are taking this - safety is our upmost focus besides guest satisfaction. I am looking forward hearing from you and would like to apologise in advance.