“Banyan Tree 2”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed 5 August 2014

After reading of my expereince at the Banyan Tree the regional Manager reached out to me to understand more about my poor expereince and offered me a return night and dinner on the house. The management clearly have high expectations of the staff and it certainly showed in the concern of the regional manager. The service was better on the return visit and the stay was a pleasant one.

Thank you Stefan.

Room Tip: The ocean views are the nicest
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Keith M,

It was an honor to have been given another chance to make up for our shortfalls in the past. I am glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations this time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance.

Meanwhile I certainly look forward to the opportunity of having you back again with us in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

i been to banyan tree bintan about 8 or 9 times in the past 10 years. and admittedly, i could well identify with the recent critique that it has become a bit run down and in the need of some renovations. well, my last stay - a 2 night, 3 day rejuvenation stay - was exceeding my expectations:

1) arrived early, and first time ever i got an early check-in. bravo.

2) villa was rennovated. showers were new n bathroom faucets were new also. good job.

3) food was mixed. ordered in. some chicken with rice and coconut sauce. was terrible. on the other hand, i went to the cove and they changed their menu. no more burger on it. i asked for a burger with fries and i got one excellent burger. the breakky was excellent as always. particularly liked their french toast.

4) did 2 massages. one dry finger press and one relaxing. both were excellent.

5) checkout is 12.00 o'clock. i got picked up at 1.45pm to go to the ferry so i asked to stay in my villa till 1.30pm. they accomodated that. great stuff!

all said and done, i enjoyed my stay tremendously. yes, i hear some of the critique but overall it is still a top-draw hotel where one can rejuvenate nicely!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Rainer J
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Rainer_Sr,

I am delighted to have you back again with us and to hear that we had successfully exceeded your expectations.

We have been continuously reviewing our service quality and making changes to improve when necessary. We have also started to refresh our villas with our rigorous villa upkeep program. It is certainly a pleasure to know that you had recognized these details during your return visit.

The category of villa under which you booked was fortunately available on your arrival day as well as on your departure day. Hence, we were very happy to accommodate you with early check-in and later checkout time.

I have shared your good comment on the spa massages with the team. Your feedback on the Chicken with white rice and coconut sauce has also been shared with our Executive Chef for a review and follow up.

Thank you for returning to stay at Banyan Tree Bintan.
Meanwhile I look forward to welcoming you back again to our resort sometime in the future.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

this resort came highly recommended to us by several local singaporeans, and it is certainly very picturesque. the setting is really quite stunning and the villas come with their own private outdoor baths.

unfortunately the service does not live up to the setting. i can only assume that the service has gone downhill over the last few years as i know others have had good experiences here. the service (and indeed, the price tag) is billed as being six-star but that is not what we experienced.

i could provide a list of mishaps/instances of inattention to detail, but that would be long and tedious. probably the most frustrating thing, was the lack of comprehension of some of the staff. any request made had to be made a number of times (and i'm talking really basic things here, ie: can you please replenish our soap/toiletries; can i please have a spoon to go with this soup) and followed up. over the three days we were at banyan tree, this just really wore me down.

one of the other big annoyances for me, was that the pricing was misleading. we received a "20% off food and beverage" deal at the time of booking, which was fortunate because not only were the restaurants expensive, any price quoted on the menu came with an additional 21% in fees and taxes (meaning that we actually paid 1% over the price quoted). there is also no real opportunity to eat anywhere outside the resort either (it cost us US$25 for a taxi ride the one time we wanted to go to the store in town).

my partner also elected to play a round of golf, with an advertised price of S$110. this ended up costing around S$200 with further additional charges, such as club hire, ball purchase, water, etc. the level of service received for the price tag was nowhere near what one would expect, with lackadaisical staff sullenly completing paperwork (4 separate signatures were required for one round of golf) and advising of yet a further charge.

lastly, it's worth mentioning that the wifi is very slow. this was pretty frustrating for us as we couldn't skype with home or stream any movies.

we did give feedback to the management about our experience and they were very responsive, even removing some of the charges, in particular the golf charges. all in all though, we didn't get value for money from banyan tree and didn't feel we got the six-star experience we thought we had paid for.

3  Thank starinmelbourne
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear starinmelbourne,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your valuable feedback.
I am glad to hear that our villa and the unique setting of being surrounded by a lush tropical forest had exceeded your expectations.

The tranquil location, which allows a private beach and stunning ocean view, unfortunately has a downside for us in getting the produces to our resort. As we cannot import from the nearby Singapore we have to purchase our produces from other ports in Indonesia with tremendously high delivery costs, handling fees and local taxes making our purchase costs higher that it obviously affects our prices in general. Let me assure you that we are doing our upmost to find other solutions to get better quality products at lower costs and any savings will reflect in our prices.

I hope you would be able to give us another chance to deliver the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Me, my 2 yr daughter , my mom stayed in seafront villa 104. 1.When we checked in, staffs are so busy to greet and one lady staff showed us one reception room to sit in where everyone was sitting, she didn't mind whether we got a place to
sit.
2. Getting a buggy is longer than waiting for food we ordered.72 villas but only few buggies.
3. Staffs : personally feel they are overloaded with work, so chance to smile or talk to us who are over excited about the stay. I feel hospitality is just 10% which lots of improvement. No bond which u advertise.i m a person who talk in reception , explore more things and get to know them and their family even. But here, no talks jus straight answers to what we ask.
4. Booked in banyan resorts for main reason for doin the rainforest spa. To my shock, they say no therapist despite u have 4 spa villAs exclusively for this. I asked for rejuvenate spa , they say not available. So spa menu is big but only few services.
5. Food: saffron was really good taste. Cove is italian by name. I have been to italy. So I know italian standards. price, even America restaurants can't beat.
6. Safety: I was staying a seafront villa with a bed room down the villa.( basically two floored). My mom wished to stay down alone. In that room windows are full length, of which one window door Is repaired. Imagine how I felt when I have 2 yr old daughter and jus it's a jungle and sea beneath the repaired window.
After the first room service, when we came I seriously gave up when u saw my suitcase was open thru zip with zip keys still locked. Thank god I didn't keep any valuable in it.
My mom said she heard knock at her door second night for nearly an hour( she was so afraid she told me only after reaching singapore). She was afraid to open the door. There is no phone or intercom between rooms which unacceptable. What if some thief came in or if they not feeling well.?? How can communicate?
7. When we checked out, the person billing asked us to pay for a coke which was not kept when we came in. It's not easy to pay 5usd for the drink we didn't have. It means it was not checked properly when we checked in.
8. Drivers: drivers are not friendly, may be don't know English. Not even smiling. We don't expect guide atleast please talk we don't about bintan!!!
9. Gallery: getting products from Thailand and pricing 30 fold money is extreme.
10. Expensive: staying for 3 days 2 nights and paying 3000 usd is too much.
11. Good things
- location
- spa treatment ( did rain mist finally)
- saffron food
- pools
- access from singapore
12. Beach after 7 is very lonely . Not even one staff around. Felt really unsafe.

My comment will not affect a such a big resort but can surely of help a few I guess.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank IMHOTEPS
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear IMHOTEPS,

Thank you for your constructive feedback.
I am very sorry to hear that we have fallen short in meeting your expectations.

Being located in a secluded location amidst rainforest and with a stunning view of the ocean we have challenges in getting produces into our resorts. Despite the nearby Singapore, we cannot import our produces directly from there that we have to purchase through other ports in Indonesia with tremendously high delivery cost, handling fees and local taxes. Let me assure you that we are trying our upmost to find other solutions to get better quality products at reduced prices and that any savings will reflect in our prices.

Your feedbacks have been looked into very seriously; kindly rest assured that I have shared them with the concerned heads of department for a necessary follow up.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future for another chance of enjoying the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is my second visit to this resort. The last experience 5 years ago was wonderful with a speedy check in and services. This check in was really unpleasant. We were left waiting at the lobby for more than 2 hours expecting to check in to a thoroughly clean room since they explained they need 3 hours for cleaning. 1st disappointment was checked into a one bedroom villa with "spiderwebed" toilet with used underwear in the drawer and moldy outdoor shower area. The house keeping service was terrible too. We asked for mosquito coil for at least 5 times through phone but the coil didn't arrive even on the second day.

The most unpleasant experience was the invasion of the monkeys.! No pre warning from the staff that there are monkeys around the villa, we woke up with a messy kitchen and pool, the kitchen door was closed before we went to bed. Our food that we prepared for the birthday celebration was totally gone. The aggressive monkeys not only open the kitchen door but the cabinet and consumed the snack and food in the cabinet left the alcohol untouch. :)

Nevertheless, I have to give the 2 managers in charge the credit on the recovery of our messy room in shape and arrangement.

The overall stay is still consider satisfactory despite these hiccup.

2  Thank Lynn1903

Dear Lynn1903,

I am terribly sorry that your villa was not ready when you arrived with the 11 am ferry. I hope you understand that our official check-in time is at 3 pm to allow the Housekeeping team refreshes your villa after departing guest left at check-out time of 12 pm. In the occasion when your villa category is available, we do our upmost to accommodate early check-ins.

Of course, we do make all our facilities available whilst waiting and that also include a changing room. Please accept my apology should the information didn’t reach you.

Being surrounded by a tropical rainforest, we indeed face challenges with the wild lives including monkeys. We have never had an issue with aggressive monkeys before. Nevertheless, your case has been looked into seriously and a necessary follow up is in place to prevent such situation reoccur.

At the end of the day, I am glad that the hiccup didn’t defect you entire stay experience with us.

I look forward to have you back with us again in the future.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Beautiful villa within the hills of Bintan. A must stay. We took family and had the villa with our own pool and butler Andy. He was a nice, genuine and helpful employee and an absolute joy to be around. Would be romantic with my husband alone but was still relaxing with my children. The spa was one of the nicest so far! Thank you!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TaraH746

Dear Tara H,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review about your stay with us.
I have shared you comment with Andy; he was very happy to hear that he had managed to exceed your expectation and made your stay a relaxing one.

I am also glad that our spa has also lived up to your expectation and I look forward to have you back with us sometime in the future.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

A very charming resort nestled in a tropical forest setting. Great food and excellent service. The beach is calm and perfect to relax in. So easily accessible from Singapore that it makes a perfect getaway. A great resort for walks and beach activities. Do take a trip to the Mangrove forest.

Room Tip: Ask for a seafront villa. They have great views of the ocean
1  Thank Vidya0704

Dear Vidya0704,

I am truly happy that our great food and excellent service topped with the easy access from Singapore made us a perfect getaway for you.

Wrapped with a lush tropical rainforest overlooking a stunning view of South China Sea we offer a world of nature charm where you can relax and unwind.

Thank you for staying with us, I look forward to welcoming you back again to Banyan Tree Bintan in the future.