“Almost 5*”

Ranked #3 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
Bellevue, Washington, United States
“Almost 5*”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I will come back to Bintan (might try the Banyan Tree's sister property, Angsana, next time though). I had no idea such a beautiful, calm beach was this close to Singapore.

We loved the Banyan Tree Bintan, but it is not cheap! We booked a one bedroom pool villa and a Sea Front villa (for our daughter and my mother-in-law). The one bedroom pool villa was spectacular!!! It is sprawling and much larger than I ever imagined. The infinity pool was really big and beautiful. The one bedroom pool villa seems to be a "converted" two bedroom pool villa. It is the same floor plan and amenities (separate indoor and outdoor showers, toilet, tv, phone, etc.) as the two bedroom pool villa except the "second bedroom" has two single day beds and they called it a "living room". Maybe I was confused on occupancy when I booked our rooms(the "two bedroom" villas were sold out). Perhaps I could have paid extra for my MIL and 14 year old daughter to stay in the day beds of the so called "living room". Instead of utilizing this huge, beautiful space, it went unused (we booked a separate villa for them). The outdoor living space is where we all gathered during the day. My MIL and daughter only slept in their villa the rest of the time they were with us enjoying the expanse of our gorgeous one bedroom villa.

The best parts of Banyan Tree Bintan:

Service - Excellent.

Beach - Wow! It was beautiful. The water was clear, warm, and calm.

Spa - Awesome (we bought many of the spa items that are also used to decorate and appoint the villas)

Romance - Definitely a place for couples!! Maybe it was wise to have my MIL and daughter in a separate villa!!! At this point in our lives, my husband and I do not want to be anywhere near screaming kids, especially when we are dropping this kind of cash. The Banyan Tree Bintan seems to be more appropriate for couples. There were some families with young kids, but not many, and the ones we did encounter were quite.

Pool Villas - Beyond beautiful, I could have stayed forever.

Buggy Service - I was really worried about this, especially since we had to shuffle between two villas that were far from each other; however, the buggy service was perfect and timely. I felt like I was being chauffeured everywhere!

Water Sports - We took the snorkeling tour. It was really good. I was surprised at the quality of fish and coral. I had no idea snorkeling was this good so close to Singapore. The coral was colorful and plenty and the water was warm and calm. Saw many colorful, beautiful fish and two squid.

Check In / Check Out - Organized and accurate. We spent nearly US $7000 for two rooms for three nights. I expect the charges to be easy to understand and properly posted. The bill was perfectly accurate and easy to understand without hidden or unexpected charges. Well done!

So, why only 4* instead of 5*?

Mini-bar was never stocked. This annoyed me. When we checked in, neither villa had the mini-bar restocked from the previous guest. It is something I always check upon first entering a room even before the bellman leaves. This would have been no big deal if they would have eventually stocked it properly, but that never happened. We love the convenience of mini-bars and use them. We do not complain about the cost....we love that we always have refreshments immediately available. Our mini-bar was missing all the wine, champagne, soft drinks, and chips. The bellman called mini-bar service and we called the front desk to ensure everyone knew we were not responsible for missing items from either mini-bar. The mini-bar staff came by our villa and assured us that they knew it was not properly stocked in either villa. Later that day they brought some of the items missing to just one villa. I called many times to have the mini-bars stocked but that never happened. As I usually do, I kept my running total of items used on the mini-bar menu. Our mini-bar bills are often over $500 dollars, but we only used $113 at the Banyan Tree Bintan. This should never happen at a 5* resort - ever. Amazingly, they did have the correct mini-bar charges at check out. But the charges were not our issue, the convenience is. To make it worse, the in-villa coffee service in restocked by the mini-bar staff. I called to have at least the coffee stocked; but was told they were out of coffee "pods" for the coffee maker. For nearly $1000 bucks a night, you better not let me wake up to no coffee!!! During this phone call, the housekeeping staff heard me tell my husband that there were no coffee pods. Our housekeeper was shocked that I would get that type of response from mini-bar staff. He promptly went into action and made sure I had enough coffee to last several days. Our housekeeper saved the day - good for him (and he was handsomely rewarded by us). So management......never let this happen again...ever! The mini-bar should be properly stocked and restocked throughout a stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Tess W,

Thank you very much for your lovely review.
I am beyond happy to hear that you have had a wonderful stay at Banyan Tree Bintan.

With villas well-appointed amidst rainforest and a stunning ocean view our resort indeed boasts romance, privacy and peacefulness. It is delightful to hear that we had exceeded your expectations with our excellent service, spa treatments and the gorgeous in-villa private pool.

In the meantime, let me apologize for the communication issue you have encountered in related to minibar replenishment. Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken care of and a retraining has been done as a corrective measure.

I hope you will give us another chance to take care of you better sometime in the near future.

Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I would highly recommend those looking for a wonderful experience at Bintan to stay at Banyan Tree. It is very exclusive and the staff really go an extra mile to make your stay as memorable as possible.

For myself, I went there for a post birthday celebration and we were surprised with a birthday cake and a beautiful flower arrangement on my bed that says, Happy Belated Birthday.

The resort was nice and provided free bottled water at the pool and if you love water sports and outdoor activities, there are plenty to offer. We enjoyed the ATV ride, paddle board, jet ski and the private clean beach.

My son enjoyed riding the buggy everywhere between Banyan Tree and Angsana. Just dial ZERO and we get a personal buggy with a driver.

We love breakfast with sparkling wine & cocktails while admiring the sea view.

The view was amazing, we saw Dolphins, sunrise & sun set.

It was the best vacation we had.

Room Tip: The sunken shower area is also a bath tub!
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

Dear Su Yin O,

I am truly delighted to hear that we were able to create a memorable stay experience for you hence the best vacation.

Being surrounded by a lush tropical rainforest Banyan Tree Bintan offers a sanctuary for the senses where you can relax and unwind. We also offer various exciting activities for those who are up to a more dynamic and adventurous getaway such as water sport, ATV ride, nature walk and many more. It’s lovely that you got to enjoy some of them.

Thank you for letting us takes care of you on your post-birthday celebration. I look forward to having you back again with us sometime in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed for 3 nights last week and enjoyed our stay immensely. It was the staff's passion for service that made this stay so enjoyable. Nothing was ever a problem and there were the small added touches, whether it was the turn-down gift each night, the friendly hello as you walked past, or the cook-to-order eggs each morning.

The villas, set in the rainforest, are spacious with separate bathroom and change room to the main suite. The canopied king bed holds pride of place as it looks out on the sheltered balcony with it's own dipping pool/spa.

Being one of the first 5 star establishments in Bintan, it's now a little tired and could do with a freshening up. However, the service is so compelling that one soon forgets the resort's age. The hotel should explore options for improving the Wifi service as it was pretty scratchy.

My wife and a number of colleagues had spa treatments and all of them raved about it. Once again, unlike many city day spas, many treatments extended beyond the scheduled booking.

Tree Tops, an Indonesian restaurant, was the base for breakfast for each morning. It had a delightful outlook onto the bay and the food was very good and the service attentive.

Saffron, the Thai restaurant, was excellent (refer my separate review) with some great variations of traditional Thai cuisine.

Part of our package involved a BBQ dinner on the beach which was superb. Our group of 25 loved that we had our own exclusive dinner on the sand with lots to eat and drink. Simply marvellous.

There are 2 pools and the one closest to the beach is the best as a little secluded, receives the sea breeze and is larger.

An additional benefit is that guests can access facilities at the hotel next door. This hotel has a standard hotel gym which I used twice with the porters happily transporting me in a buggy.

Tip 1: super location for a group. Separate villas but some excellent facilities to use together. Lots of water sports and tours of the island.

Tip 2: book a spa treatment before arrival as some of our party missed out.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have good water views and there are some villas that look over the bay than the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank IanA63
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear IanA63,

I am very happy to know that we had successfully delivered the true experience of Banyan Tree Bintan to you and party. Indeed, we are very proud of our unique settings where villas are surrounded by a tropical rainforest and have a stunning view of South China Sea that you can enjoy while taking a dip in your relaxation pool.

Unfortunately, the secluded location and the way we receive the internet can be affected sometimes by bad weather and lightning. However, I have noted your comment on this matter and have shared it with our IT Department for their follow up.

Meanwhile I would like to thank you for your gracious comments on our award-winning Banyan Tree Spa, the team is very pleased to know that they were able to exceed your expectations.

Please plan for another visit to our resort and I look forward to welcoming you again for more enjoyable experience in the future.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My recommendation is 1 bedroom villa and italian restaurant is not good for us.Breakfast is very good and nice view.Thai restaurant is good but all restaurants is expensive. Last day some monkeys are in our room and our family is afraid.

Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

1 Thank Narihisa M
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Narihisa M,

Allow me to thank you for your recommendation on our One Bedroom Banyan Pool Villa that comes with a private swimming pool.

Being surrounded by a tropical rainforest sometimes the wild lives can come nearer to the villas. Nevertheless, let me assure you that it is a very rare situation when the animals, monkeys in particular, get aggressive to human.

Your comment on our Italian restaurant, The Cove, has been noted for necessary follow up and improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to Banyan Tree Bintan sometime in the future.

Perth
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My second visit here, the last 8 years ago and I wasn't disappointed.

Our 1 bed pool villa was huge with separate living and sleeping huts, several bathroom options and numerous relax spaces. There was a lovely outdoor dining area as well as a beautiful infinity pool with breathtaking views across the straits.

The villa came with a pantry and I made good use of the Netspresso
machine. Room service was excellent.

The spa is terrific. Much better priced that you'd expect and some of the treatments are amazing. Try the sprinklings treatment. Wow.

Yes it's pricy. Yes the restaurants are same same and expensive and yes you're more or less stuck here. But, for 3-4 days of total chill out relax, indulge, wind down, nothing beats it.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank perthtravellor
Dear perthtravellor,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us again for the second time after eight years.
I am glad that we could exceed your expectations with our One Bedroom Banyan Pool Villa, breathtaking ocean view and spa treatments.

Please plan for a return visit for another relaxing stay at Banyan Tree Bintan.
Meanwhile I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again to our resort in the near future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Stayed at the resort for 3 nights and the service level has been immaculate! Wherever you go, you will be greeted by the staff members without fail, and as a guest at the resort, you would feel valued!

The only downside has been the mosquitoes, if you are not careful, you could potentially be bitten during the night time, but apart from that the resort would definitely be for people who just want to kick back and laze around the pool!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear BlitzPaladin,

I am truly delighted to hear that we had exceeded your expectations during your stay with us.
Being surrounded by a lush tropical rainforest mosquitoes are one of our problems here of which we do our upmost to manage without harming the environs around us. Mosquito repellents are provided on complimentary in the public areas and restaurants. We also do scheduled fogging to try to minimize the mosquitos’ population within our premises.

In the end, I am happy to note that it didn’t defect your entire stay experience.
I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back again to Banyan Tree Bintan in the near future.

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Make no misstake this is an excellent hotel in a beuatiful location. The villas (ours was a 2 bedroom pool villa) are very spacious and well appointed and the infinity pool is a respectable size. Despite being located in a jungle everything possible is done to keep the bugs down and very effective it is too.
The accomodation is spread out over a pretty big area and the hotel provides a prompt and friendly buggy service - although the distances aren't enourmous between villa and restaurants, activities, spa, gym, etc so we walked most of the time.
The spa at the Banyan Tree is awesome. There is a huge range of treatments - pretty reasonably priced - and both the staff and the spa facilities are fantastic. In addition to the main spa building there are several separate spa villas with a view out over the South China Sea from the treatment rooms. Marvellous!
There are some very nicley done dining options. Dinner on the beach is excellent and the private villa barbeque is also good although pricey (more on that next).
I do however have one critisism or one negative observation. The critisism is food and drink pricing. The food is reasonable to good but certainly not very good or excellent. I appreciate Bintan's proximity to Singapore but the dining doesn't warrant Singapore restaurant prices - it just isn't that good. And $11 or $12 USD for a bottle of water. Is there really any need?
The negative observation, which Banyan Tree can't really do much about, is that you're pretty much tied to the resort area for dining options and those are fairly limited. We stayed a week which was OK but any longer and we would have got seriously bored with the selection of restaurants. And despite there being a functional kitchen in the villa there's really nowhere to buy food to prepare yourself.
All in all for a week of relaxation in a very pleasant villa with access to the spectacular beach and in the glorious spa it's well worht a look.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stefan_Thumiger, Area General Manager at Banyan Tree Bintan, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Glyn H,

I am delighted to hear that we were able to create a relaxing and pleasant stay for you. As you rightly pointed out, we are bestowed with a beautiful beach amidst lust rainforest that make us a perfect place for a restful getaway.

Nestled in a location that boasts tranquility and serenity we find a challenge in sourcing our supplies. In spite of our short distance to Singapore we cannot import directly from there and have to purchase our products from other ports in Indonesia in which outrageous delivery costs, handling fees and local taxes add up to the total costs affecting our prices. I assure you that we are doing everything in our power to find other alternatives and that any savings will of course reflect in our prices. That being said I am pleased to inform you that our prices are still competitive with those of other resorts in the area.

Meanwhile your feedback on menu selections has been shared with our Executive Chef for further review.

Thank you very much for staying with us. I look forward to welcoming you once again to Banyan Tree Bintan in the future.