“Will never come back there again” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Mscow
“Will never come back there again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2009

I will never recommend this hotel to any of friends. First of all we came there with our 2 kids (2 and 3 years old) and the whole our familly and we didn`t expect that it so dangerous to come there with kids. We took a 2-bedroom bungalow, but when we entered and saw the precipice of 100 meters without any fence or protection we were terrified. Of course it is not the fault of hotel but of our travel agent, but they could have prevent at least.
Then my mom called me in tears, telling that her "beautifull" bungalow stands on the piles above some air-condition system which is so loud that it doesn`t even let her hear what I`m telling her back. The regular bungalows are very small for this price and don`t even have the cupbort big enough to keep there cloth for 2 persons.
The room service is very slow. The table was cleaned up the next day at best. While at night all local animals (bats, ravens, insects) were enjoing a left dinner crying.
That was only the beginning! On the 30th of december when we arrived and tried to reserve a table for us to celebrate the New Year, we were told that the restaurants are fully booked and that we won`t be even able to order from room service cose it will be closed for this night (this is not the way we expected to spend the new year night). Only after 1 hour argument with managment they managed to provide us a table.
The food in restaurants is not good at all. More over, after 2 days my husband and my dad felt sick and, I`m sorry, had to spend 2 days aroud the toilet. And what was the worst, my older son who is only 3 years old feld so sick, that we had to go to hospital to Singapore, where we stayed for 24hours!!! The diacrisis was "acute intoxication because of bad food". The doctor said us that they get regulary patients with same problems from Bintan.
Or course there were some good points: beautifull nature, sea and beach. But it doens`t worth going there so far only for this, without getting other things which come together with the notion "good holiday".

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Sonnat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

We stayed at the BT Bintan for 5 nights at the start of Feb. We had a Villa on the Rocks along with 5 lizards and a squirel. The resort is as it looks on the website and I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a romantic getaway.

The spa is excellent although not as good as some Shangri-Las.

The restraunt options are good and there is some great food available.

Only two down points... some of the finishings in the room are a bit worn and the sun deck is pretty rough. We never used it, or the jacuzzi. and secondly, this resort could be anywhere in the world. If you want to experience Indonesia, the closest you will come to this is the ferry port and the drive to the hotel.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Unsociable guests
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank loveluxury1
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

I've stayed here, many years ago, on a company trip, which was fine (I wasn't paying!), but I dropped back recently for lunch at the Cove restaurant. So this is not about the hotel experience, but about the Cove and the staff.

First, the staff in the reception didn't know their own facility, telling us that lunch options included Mediterranean, at the Cove. Wrong. At lunchtime it's only Asian food. Never mind, the location is wonderful, high over a rocky cove, shady and catching the breeze. The staff were friendly, but they didn't have coca-cola, didn't have the sauce advertised on the menu for the Thai fried rice, and were extremely slow. The food however was quite good - not wonderful, I've had better - but good for a general hotel.

We then asked for the bill, and handed over a credit card - after noting that, unbelievably, three local dishes and three soft drinks, came to $100!!!. After a longggg wait, a supervisor who we'd not seen so far and I suspect had been called in from another part of the hotel, came over to tell us that they couldn't currently take credit cards so please could we pay cash. Luckily we could, just, but, after ferry charges, it meant that I arrived back in Singapore that evening with $4 left in my pocket.

Look, in Indonesia, I don't mind slow service, dopey staff, and no credit cards. But this place promotes itself, and charges, as international 5-star luxury. It's a joke. Save your money for resorts that WILL deliver you that. And if you want a quick beach weekend away from Singapore, stay somewhere sensible.

• Liked — location and layout
  • Disliked — laughable ratio of value to money
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Peter D
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2008

Villa was great, and we had a jacuzzi pool in our villa. Clean and comfortable, and the staff will drop by in the evening to set up the mosquito repellants. Very pleasant group of staff and always with a smile.

Beach was average - the sand is very fine and the waves are pretty strong. Water wasnt very clear but it was comfortable sitting on beach chairs relaxing.

Our spa experience was great - our masseuse was very professional, and I had the choice of using a massage oil that was recommended for sensitive skin. We had a relaxing massage, with great view of the beach, hanging ard the balcony after our spa sipping ginger tea.

Food was pretty good - the morning spread was great.

One point to note is that the place is severely overpriced!!! I had 2 villas and brought with me 5 other occupants, and the additional 2 occupants were charged at US$50 per head. There wasn't additional beddings/ breakfast that come with this additional fee.

• Liked — Spa
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank cryst_clear
Buckinghamshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2008

When sewage backed up into the toilets and shower I couldn't get away quickly enough.
Other reviewers have commented on the decor (which is dated in parts) and the leaky pipes, unsightly concrete and detritus lying under some of the villas. The beach isn't great either with broken concrete at the edge. The rooms are musty and all our clothes smelled terrible when we left.
Pools are OK, staff really friendly but I wouldn't recommend going unless it is properly refurbished. It's pricey and the sewage event was just disgusting. Not 5* by any means.

• Liked — Leaving the sewage-filled shower behind!
  • Disliked — The sewage in the bathroom...
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank Minandguin
Seoul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2008

I am writing this from the Banyan Tree from the Jungle Villa (i.e., no sea view and no pool in the villa).

I was a bit skeptical before I came here because of some of the terrible reviews here... I am glad that these reviews turned out to be a bit extreme - probably cases of high expectations met with more moderate reality.

This is Indonesia after all, and you have to be used to their kind of service -- it is not all out "whatever you please" type of service you might find at Aman or Four Seasons. Rather the service here is efficient, competent, but usually never with a sincere smile. Also, I found that the English comprehension of the staff here to be a bit disappointing - the waiters and the spa therapist. They should be at the levels of the persons working the front desk.

The resort is laid out in a very unique manner -- villas on the side of a very steep hill. This makes for som strenuous walking but most people end up buggying around. The two pools look fine, but right now it is not sunny at all (the resort is on the west side of the island looking northwest) and it is the rainy season.

I tried the spa yesterday and it was quite good, though the dollar-denominated prices may catch some people off guard. All prices on the resort are in US dollars, so you can't take advantage of the volatile rupiah.

I also tried the Saffron restaurant - as a single diner I bypassed the appetizers and ordered two main dishes - the snapper and the Indonesia Chicken curry. Very good dishes. The side of mixed vegetables was mediocre. Level of food ingredients was OK. The breakfast buffet was also not great (mediocre). The scrambedled eggs (which had to be ordered from the kitchen) turned out OK, but I miss having unlimited eggs. This seems to be a trend at many resorts.

The rooms are laid out as in the brochures. I asked for the cheaper villas since I came here alone. If I was bringing my wife, I would definitely ask for a larger villa, not just for the pool but because the indoors is actually quite smallish.

I can't point to anything horrible about the resort, but I can't point to any "wow" factor about this place. In fact, given the poor selection at breakfast, and some other small items (one soap in the bathroom, one running machine in the gym, denomination in US dollars), the one word that comes to mind as I meandered through the resort was -- "cost-cutting."

• Liked — Secluded, quiet, good spa offerings
  • Disliked — Hilly layout, poor breakfast buffet
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Mohammedyu
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

Rooms are shabby (just like what another reviewer said), desperately in need of a major overhaul renovation, furniture are MOLDY, the room smell that way too. (you may not see any mold on the table topetc, but look underneath the table, behind the legs etc and you will know what i mean) if i am in a 1 star hotel, i will forgive them, but this is a Banyan Tree property so it is unacceptable.

The service is good though, they changed us to another room, same MOLDY smell. Then they said they will upgrade us to a higher grade room, but we had already lost confidence in this hotel. We packed up our bags and went to Singapore 1 hour later.

Do not stay here, unless you do not mind unclean properties.

• Disliked — getting old, and not clean at all
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family