“Fabulous”
Review of Banyan Tree Bintan

Banyan Tree Bintan
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We spent 3 days at the banyan tree in bintan and the experience was at par with what one would expect from a banyan tree property. The staff was very hospitable. Highly recommended if one is looking for a quiet getaway in a luxury resort. We had picked the ocean view villa and had the villa fully lived up to the description on the hotel website.

In terms of food, while the breakfast buffet was outstanding, the food at the restaurants could be better.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We stayed in an Ocean View Villa. The staff were fantastic. Everyone was extremely friendly and always remembered our names. We would recommend the Dining Experiences particularly Dinner On The Rocks. The Spa Experiences were excellent. Food was excellent in all the restaurants. This place is impossible to fault.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

Stopped at the Banyan Tree following a long flight from London. The location is fabulous and the room (Villa on the Rocks) was magnificent even if it was in need of some basic maintenance. For example the blinds needed repair and the doors were hard to lock BUT overall our experience was good.

What was disappointing though was having to ask for supplies to be replenished each day - for example - we did not have milk provided for our in-room usage. Additionally we were not given enough tea each day for us to use and sometimes we were not provided with water for us to use in our bathroom for cleaning teeth etc. I guess this might sound a bit petty but you need to be reminded that this is supposedly a five star resort which caters for your every need. Plus it is not a cheap place to stay!

What I was impressed with was the friendliness of the staff at the Treetops restaurant and the delightful young ladies who were there to assist us. The Saffron restaurant food was excellent but I found the wait staff too over attentive which some traveller might like - but each to their own!
The guys at the pool were fabulous and we really found out a lot from them during our stay about Bintan which is more than can be said of the staff who were located in the business centre who when asked about a particular activity that I wanted to participate in seemed not to know anything or maybe it was the way I asked for information.
Would I go back to Banyan Bintan - no
Would I try another Banyan resort in a different location - Yes

Reviewed 1 July 2010

We went to Banyan Tree Bintan and were taken in by the beautiful resort and spa. The surrounding natural forest, the resort was built into, overlooking the sea, was breathless!

We were greeted every evening by beautiful sunsets and sunrise. The beach was pristine, clear water and as a bonus, we saw the release of hawkbills baby turtles, which was part of the hotel's conservation effort.

A pricey place to getaway from the bustle and rustle of busy Singapore, but worth the money for the tranquility, beauty and romantic surroundings.

The spa was excellent and suitable for us to feel all relaxed and pampered.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JamesTanSL
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Stayed at the Banyan Tree for a weekend when in Singapore. Only 45 mins by Ferry from Singapore. A bit hectic at the Ferry Terminal in Bintan but once we reached the resort it was very relaxing. Our villa was beautiful and the views were amazing. The Beach at this resort is absolutely gorgeous and the sea was so warm it was like a bath! I would recommend the Thai restuarant for dinner and Tree Tops for lunch. This a great place to visit for a weekend if you are in Singapore.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Me and 4 other friends stayed in a 2 bedroom Sanctuary Pool Villa for 2 nights and 3 days in late May 2010.

Quality of the room - As other reviewers have mentioned, the property is quite dated and not on par with Banyan Tree's newer properties (I think Bintan is one of their oldest properties). However, the villa (both rooms and public areas) was spacious, clean and well maintained and the beds were comfortable. The pool was a good size and had a beautiful view overlooking the sea. The jacuzzi, although dated, functioned well and was situated next to a tree which lit up beautifully with fireflies in the evening.

Service - The service exceeded my expectations (especially after being subject to poor service in Singapore - see my review on the Scarlet hotel). David our villa host/ housekeeping supervisor(?) was wonderful and went out of his way to help (even though we must have been rather annoying with our many demands for towels, ice bucketsetc). The other member of our housekeeping team, Eddie(?) was also very friendly and helpful. In fact, the service was exceptional throughout the property. We only came across one instance of poor service at the Treetop restaurant (a waitress was inexplicably annoyed and rude to us for no reason). However, the waitress in question quickly and rather astutely mended her ways when (we think) one of her colleagues overheard us talking about complaining to the manager (we had been speaking in cantonese but must have unintentionally spoken a few words in English) and whispered into her ear. Perhaps she was just having a bad day.

Spa - I had 2 balinese massages and the quality was as good as one expects from the Banyan tree. I also had one yoga lesson. The instructor was not bad though I think he was more used to instructing beginners. I would not recomend it if you are an experienced yogi/yogini.

Food - We had lunch at Saffron. The quality was not bad (although there was a beef curry which was EXCELLENT) though overall it was overpriced (although it was expected for this kind of resort, really). We ordered in villa dining from Treetop for dinner and the food was much better value for money (the Nasi Goreng was good. The beef burger was also (unexpectedly) rather good.). We also tried the BBQ buffet at the Pantai Grill. We were extremely disappointed. Even though it was relatively cheap (around USD 34 pp) and the beach surroundings was nice, the quality of the food was surprisingly bad (and in some instances, like the steak, inedible). In the end none of us went home full and I would not recommend it. Apparently there is a waterfront restaurant called Kelong nearby which is good for lunch/ dinner but we did not end up going. Breafast wise, I had one spa breakfast (as part of the Yoga Wellness package) and one normal breakfast. The spa breakfast was excellent (egg white omelette, a lot of fresh fruit, a really yoghurt ice lolly, tasty indonesian pancakes etc). Normal breakfast-wise, the eggs weren't terribly good (they tended to overcook the yolk. Go for the scrambled eggs) but the choice was not as narrow as I had expected and a lot of the carbohydrate-y choices like bread, muffins, (fresh) waffles were not bad at all. The fruit on offer was top quality: sweet, juicy and succulent. There was also free flow sparkly wine at breakfast. One tip is that if you want mimosa/ bucks fizz do try to mix it yourself with the fresh orange juice which is on offer. Otherwise the staff will come up with an anaemic, yellowy mixture (I do not know what they mixed it with!).

Insects and other little creatures - The hotel apparently carries out mass exterminations of mosquitos twice a week. We also had insect spray (which we didn't use) and lots of insect repellent incense(?) (which we used extensively) in the villa so we were not bothered by flies/ mosquitos (although you have watch where you leave your food because of ants). There were geckos on the wall next to the dining table but we adjusted by eat dinner on the coffee table on the raised platform in the villa. We only saw one (rather adorable) monkey outside the breakfast room one morning but were not otherwise bothered by them. There were the normal rainforest noises but given that the resort is in fact buit in a rainforest it's all part of the package. Given the rainforest surroundings I would say that the hotel has done quite well to keep the living/ eating areas insect/ small creature free.

Public pools and beach - we mostly stayed in our villa but did check out the spa pool and the rock pool(? - the one next to the Angsana resort). They are smaller than I had expected but I suppose not reasonable given the size of the resort and the size of the pools in the villas. The beach apparently has a sandfly problem but we put on insect repellent and had a good wade in the water. The beach was not as good as say Redang but at least on par (if not better than) Koh Samui.

Annoyances/ Disappointments - You need to take buggies to go from one part of the resort to the other but buggies usually took ages to arrive so order buggies in advance (the resort needs to order more buggies). The wifi in the villa was also slow and rather unreliable (although it was the perfect excuse not to work!). Also, the Pantai Grill (see above), although strictly speaking it's part of Angsana, not Banyan Tree.

All in all, yes the property is dated but it was a wonderful stay with a beautiful rainforest setting and excellent service. I would definitely stay again if the price was right.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank chezzz88
Reviewed 14 April 2010

I arrived in Singapore in the early morning, spent the night, repacked and left most of my luggage at the hotel and then left the next morning for the ferry to take me to Bintan(Indonesia) and the Banyan Tree Resort which would be my home for the next 10 nights.
The ferry terminal was exactly like an airport with the only difference being that you boarded a boat instead of a plane. Even the ferry was set up like a plane with airline seating, in less than 45 mins we arrived. As soon as my feet touched land off the gangplank I was immediately swept up by a guy wearing some sort of uniform and holding a sign that stated "Banyan Tree Welcomes Madam " he took my passport, collected my lugguge and had me "VIP" cleared thru Indonesian customs. Although I will say that before I was allowed to collect my lugguge it was first xrayed. Within 20 mins he had me cleared thru a crowd of around 200 people and I found myself sitting in a limo with a cold towel and drink in hand. I knew then that this was the beginning of what was going to be a dream holiday and somewhere along the line I had been transformed into a "Madam". The transfer to the Banyan Tree resort was less than 15 mins and I was greeted on arrival by a full compliment of staff who came out to welcome me (sort of reminded me of arriving in Club Med). After yet another cold towel and refreshing drink I completed check in and was then transported to my Villa by Golf Buggy. I was to learn that all transportation around the resort was via these buggys and all you did was call for one and within minutes they would take you wherever you wanted in the resort.

After a short ride, mostly uphill, (at which time any thoughts of walking around the resort vanished and I knew I would be using those buggys) I arrived at my Villa number 217. Its a two bedroom Bayfront Pool Villa and that does not begin to describe the paradise that awaited me.
I was in "Paradise" with people just waiting to meet my every need. Every day an army of people would arrive to clean the villa and I do mean an army, 4 people would clean the two bedroom suites whilst a "pool man" cleaned the pool and spa and two gardeners maintained the gardens and this happened every day and they would take an hour. They always specially decorated my bed with special messages or with some intricate decorations on the bed. Then at night the "turn down" service saw another two guys arrive to turn down the bed which consisted of putting the mosquito netting down around the bed,lighting the oil burner and incence, changing all the towels (even if I had not used them) I estimated I was plowing thru 20 towels a day and then finally they would leave me a goodnight gift in the form of something sweet to snack on as well as small gifts as momentos.
Now for those of you who have followed my shower sagas on this trip, I arrived to find I had four showers to choose from two inside and two outside, on my very first day I decided to use the outside shower, I stepped under the shower turned on the water and very little happened, a small trickle of water gurgled out (oh no not again!) then just as I was thinking the shower curse had followed me to paradise the water came to life with full water pressure. I worked out that as the villa is perched on a hill the water is pumped up from somewhere below the villa and it takes a few minutes for it to build up pressure. I finished having my shower and stepped off to the side to turn off the water when the floor board I was standing on gave way and spilled me into the bushes. Looks like the "Shower Curse" had the last laugh after all. By the way I reported the loose floorboard when they came to do the turn down that night and I swear within five minutes 3 maintainance people arrived (it was 9pm at night!) and whilst one supervised two grown men nailed down this one loose plank. They had just left when the manager of the resort arrives to profusely apologise and bearing with him as part of the apology a bottle of MOET.

Who says money can't buy happiness!!!!!!! I was pampared, spoiled and thoroughly looked after from the people who delivered my meals at the villa every day (I never actually managed to get out of the villa to have a meal at any of the numerous restarants because my view was the best view in the resort. I noticed that all the brochures on the resort all had my villa photographed), to the housekeeping staff who treated me like royalty.

The weather was generally good but there was one day when a mini cyclone came thru late in the afternoonf. The storm passed within a few hours and calm was restored by the next morning. The villa was littered with bits of leaves, bushes and even some thatching from the villa's roof. That morning with breakfast also arrived my army of housekeeping staff who had the Villa restored to its normal state by the time I finished breakfast.

After 10 nights in this paradise I left yesterday, all the people who had served me turned up to hug and farewell me and it was another sad parting.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo