“Great place”

Angsana Bintan
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Bintan Island
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed at the Angsana Hotels & Resort at Bintan from 11-13 of April
A very nice hotel especially for couples with kids, maybe a little bit boring for teenagers. The service was in general great, however, the serving of food in the restaurant was a little bit slow

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear J M W,

Allow me to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review.

I have taken note of your comments that you feel our resort can be a bit boring for teenagers. Let me assure you that we have taken note of this point and have now introduced 101 activities that can be done on and around the resort. We have also added some additional activities in to our recreation lounge. In addition to these, we have now introduced weekly family fun activities on our beach and this takes place on every Saturday and includes free ATV rides, canoeing, mine sweeping, relay races etc.

I understand how important it is for our guests to feel comfortable and enjoy their time here with us, and hence we felt the importance of improving on our activities list and increased the quality and variety of activities we have.

I have also noted your feedback on the slow service in our restaurant and shared it with the concerned Department Head for improvement.

Thank you once again for having chosen to stay with us and I look forward to welcome you back again sometimes in the future.

Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for Angsana Bintan

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hotel room is very average, the food is a lowlight and the prices are very high. The pool and the beach saves the day, but it is not enough to make me go there again. The location is also good and close to the port, which makes it very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms far from the pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brunojunior
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Brunojunior,

Greetings from Angsana Bintan and thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is sad that despite the scenic location, beach and the pool experience which you felt were up to a satisfactory level, you have decided not to return to us due to the pricing & food quality.

May I highlight to you that we do carry out regular surveys to ensure that we are inline with the competition in terms of pricing.

Your feedback on the food quality has been brought to the attention of our Executive Chef and this will be addressed immediately.

As you have pointed out we are located close to the port but at the same time we are also part of the unique jungle setting, which is quite remote. This idyllic location is a challenge to our ongoing effort to source good quality products that can be delivered at low cost. However, we are constantly looking at ways to overcome these challenges and improve our services to provide better value for money to our guests.

I hope that you will be kind enough to give us another opportunity to serve you again at Angsana Bintan.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I read a review by a woman who did nothing but criticise every aspect of this hotel for whatever reason, i suspect she must be someone who is dissatisfied with life in general.

This is a great hotel in an amazing location, wonderful attentive staff, lots of wildlife with loads to do. We went for a week and did a couple of the hotels activities, but also went a bit further afield on the Mangrove boat Tour and the Elephant safari - both great experiences - if you want to splash out a bit you can have dinner on the rocks with your own waiter with the waves splashing around you which was also really nice.

So in sum great place, great weather, great staff, great location, great Spa !!

Room Tip: try and get a top floor suite if you can
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve C
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager of Angsana Bintan at Angsana Bintan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Steve C,

First of all, allow me to thank you for choosing to stay with us and for writing this fantastic review related to your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and that you had a positive impression of all aspects of the resort. As you have very rightly said, there are many options for those seeking adventures here at Angsana Bintan and I am happy to learn that you had enjoyed the Mangrove Boat tour, Elephant Safari and Dinner on the rocks.

Your feedback definitely has given us the encouragement needed and I hope that those wanting to visit Angsana Bintan will have no hesitation to choose us due to this nice review which tells a lot.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to Angsana Bintan.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We booked an Ansanga Suite which was great with 2 kids 2 & 4. Very spacious and close to beach and pool. Staff were very friendly. We arrived on a Monday and checked out on the Friday, looks like it gets very busy in the weekends. Loungers around the pool nicely spaced apart and always got one. Pool was v good. Lovely beach and friendly marine centre. Lotus restaurant for breakfast could do with A/C. Beach grill is best place to eat, nice views and a breeze. Only prob is beer and wine is v expensive $7.50USD for a small can of Bintang and glass of wine $14USD. Spa was v good.
All in all very nice place and people. Would stay again for another 4 days off the beers!

Stayed: April 2014

Dear Motionvista,

I am pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable time with us.

Thank you for the feedback on breakfast in Lotus cafe’. It is such feedback that allows us to be focused and be consistent in service delivery.

As for the price of beverages, we do carry out monthly beverage / food price surveys of the other competitive hotels in the area and try to be inline with the market. However, the remoteness of our location at times makes it a challenge to source good quallity items at a better price. Please be assured that we are adressing this issue.

The team and I are looking forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan once again.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We only booked for a night over the weekend but decide to extend another night when we arrived. The staff who checked us in does not seem to be able to articulate very well in english. Since we wanted to stay another night, she was not able to confirm the ferry availability until the last minute. Also the staff were quite rude at the marine centre, the banana boat were clearly not in used but the lady insisted that there is a current booking and we re not allowed to use it incase they show up. There are also free jet skis, not in used but already "booked". Also she went on and on in the Indonesian language that we couldn't understand. In the end we had to pre book our seaports and also chase the reception oon ferry booking just made the holiday less pleasant. Overall good food,nice views but would not say it's value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear mcjw,

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in our service standards . I have taken this concern very seriously and have addressed the issue with the members concerned for rectification.

As for the Jet-skii and Banana Boat, I have looked in to the matter as well and would like to let you know that those activities were indeed pre-booked by another couple on that day, at that timing and the team were waiting for those guests to arrive when you inquired for it. Unfortunately, when it is booked by another guest, we would not be able to provide you with the same activity unless cancelled by the other.

Thank you for providing us with this feedback which has allowed us to look in to areas necessary in order to improve on our service delivery.

We look forward to have you back with us in a near future.

Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms

Comfortable, though can see some wear and tear through aging. Nice sea n pool view from room, balcony.

Facilities

The pool is good, beach is white and clean.

Activities

Different activities available daily, some chargeable some free.

Restaurant and food

Lotus cafe food was fine. Eating at the pantai grill was challenging due to the incessant flies and insects. Pizza is some what below par. Overall the food and drinks are quite pricey.

Massage

Did massage at banyan tree next door. Great view and service.

Negative points

There was several brief blackouts on our first night and 2nd day morning

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank beargoh

Dear beargoh,

Thank you for your feedback & I am pleased to know that overall your stay was a pleasant one.

Your feedback related to insects at Pantai Grill have been taken note of and it has already been adressed with the team for the necessary action. Chef has also taken note of the comments on the quallity of Pizza and corrective actions are being taken to adress it.

The power cuts during your first day and the second day morning during your stay was beyond our controll as we rely on a public service provider for our electricity and these unexpected power cuts were due to a technichal problem they had faced on that day. Please accept my sincere appologies for the inconveniences this may have caused to you.

Thank you for chosing to stay with us and I hope to welcome you back in a near future.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I, together with a friend, stayed at the resort for two days & one night only for a quick getaway from the hustle & bustle of Singapore. The ferry ride was smooth. Nothing much to expect at the terminal itself. However, there is a staff or two from Angsana holding up a sign as you exit. Once they have verified that you are on the list for land transfer, they will ask you to wait at their own Angsana lounge. It was comfortable to wait as the staff was rounding up the guests who will be taking the same bus ride as us. We were greeted by a very jolly & accommodating fellow who immediately took my luggage (We only had one) & loaded it up on the bus. The wait was quite short since only a total of four of us were to take the transfer. As for the bus ride, it was also short. Think 10 to 15 minutes.

When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted by a very nice female staff (Too bad I didn't get her name) who was all smiles & accommodating to our needs. We also had welcome chocolate drinks (More like shots) & macaroons. She laid out everything in detail. Since we arrived early 930am, we decided to have a look around since we were free to use the facilities while waiting to be checked in (Check in time is 3pm, a bit late I might say).

An hour or so had passed, she really scouted out for us just to inform that we could check in early at no additional cost. Talk about excellency!

The superior room was decent. It looked clean. We had a lovely queen-sized bed (Even if we specifically stated TWIN BEDS. To this they replied, it's the only available room we have right now. One small boo-boo but we just let that pass since it was ok for my friend & I to share a bed). We had a huge tv with basic cable channels (No MTV but that's ok). A desk, mini bar, couch & a balcony. What I loved about the room is that we had a spectacular view of the pool & sea. Sweet! Airconditioning was just nice. Not noisy & no weird smoke coming out as do in aged hotels. The toilet was fairly decent but what I loved about it were the toiletries. It was amazing! They did not come in small tubes or bars that were replenished everyday but in medium to large pump containers, an indication that they didn't go stingy. For fussy people like me who only use a specific shampoo or conditioner wherever they go, this one is not so bad. Smells good too. We had no problems with the heater (Shower). The room had a bit dings & signs of wear (I guess this also applies to the hotel itself) which needs touching up. The rims of the tub had visible molds, some tear in the fixtures & stains on the desk. The service & amenities overshadow or compensate for it, I think.

The highlight of this trip would be the beach. It was gorgeous! White, fine sand with a few number of huts (Lazy boy & towels provided). There wasn't a crowd which was great especially if you wanted some privacy from the usual prying eyes. I mean, the staff wouldn't gawk at you & it was completely safe. You could leave your non-valuable beach stuff to take a dip, be it on the pool or beach. They also weren't stingy on the towels. The water was exquisite! You could actually swim in it even if it wasn't crystal, crystal clear. You could still see the sea floor. No jelly fishes to be aware off to ruin your swimming mode. No garbages nor ships as backdrops. Activity areas for jetski or canoe are assigned on a specific area away from the swimmers. Not bad huh? The only downside is, on the huts where you bask, behind it are multiple sand holes where sand flies harbor. Yes, there are sand flies & they sting! To counter that, the hotel provides insect repellent lotion. However, with the tons of sun block & then that or vice versa, one is bound to work less.

The pool was of average size with what looked like a jacuzzi on one side. The water was clean, did not smell of chlorine & there was not much of a crowd. If you're a water freak like me who loves to stay out the whole afternoon, the hotel provides frozen fruits on a stick on those peak sunny hours for free to help the guests cool off. Talk about being pampered.

We were also able to try the neighboring infinity pool. It was also clean but a bit smaller. However, they had more sand flies. We couldn't stay long for fear of getting stung despite loading on the repellent lotion. Too bad since it had a nice view of the beach.

The food was average but pricey. Sky high! The breakfast buffet was like any ordinary buffet with your bread, salad, fruit, meat, egg, soup sections. Not that much variety but vegetarian-friendly on certain selections.

All the staff were very friendly, always smiling, willing to cater to your needs & approachable. Although you will encounter two or three who have a bit of difficulty understanding english. As for the rest, basic english is no problem.

Would I stay here again? Definitely! I enjoy the unpolluted beach/pool, accomodating staff & excellent service. Not to mention, it's just 45 minutes away from Singapore. Thank you!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BebotXII,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Angsana Bintan.

Despite the shortfalls mainly related to Breakfast selection, price and twin bed, I am truly delighted to learn that you had a wonderful time with us and that you loved our beach, pool, room, toiletries selection and appreciated the friendlines of the staff.

I have shared your feedback regarding sand flies with the respective Department Heads for the needed improvement.

May I also take this opportunity to highlight to you that we already have implemented training programs for our assoicates to improve language skills. Hopefully you will see improvements in this area on your next visit toBintan.

The remoteness of our location comes with a challange and this is being experienced by our team for the purchase of certain food items. We are workign closely with our local suppliers to source better produce in order to serve our guests better.

I hope this would not be your last visit and I look forward to welcoming you back again to our hotel soon.