“A disappointing stay”

Angsana Bintan
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
“A disappointing stay”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Angsana for two nights as a getaway from Singapore. The location and private beach is a definite plus - we never had any problem finding a sun lounger and the view was beautiful. We also found the service to be good - especially at the restaurant/bar on the beach. However the hotel itself is very tired, and we were really disappointed with our room (especially considering now much it cost per night!) Our room was dated, dingy and generally in need of a renovation. Our patio doors didn't open properly - on the second morning we couldn't get to our swim wear (that we had left drying outside) as the doors were completely stuck. It wasn't a room we wanted to spend any time in.

We also booked to eat at the Fisherman's Table (on the beach) the second night. This was also really disappointing - we didn't enjoy the food at all and as a word of warning I got bitten alive (despite wearing repellent). The first night we ate at the sister hotel (Banyan Tree) and that was lovely!

Overall we won't be staying at the Angsana again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chaela104
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear chaela104,

I am delighted to learn that along with the private beach, the beautiful view, tranquillity and the ever friendly staff, we had met your expectations during your recent stay.

I am saddened to know that you were not satisfied with the rooms as you felt they were in need of renovation. Please be assured that we do regular room upkeep program to ensure that a high level of comfort is well maintained for all our guests. However kindly be assured that your feedback has been looked into seriously.

Thank you for taking an opportunity to try out the restaurant at our sister hotel. I am happy that you had a nice dining experience there.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to Angsana Bintan.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We were looking into celebrating my father in laws 75th birthday on Bintan Island. At the end our choice fell for the Angsana Resort, Bintan.
Upon the arrival at the ferry terminal on Bintan, selected countries, have to purchase a visa for $US 15.00, which is valid for 7 days.
Generally no problem, but a bit on the high side, considering u are on a holiday island.
The resort provides transport in a shuttle bus, luggage goes in separate car.
Arriving at the the resort was done professionally and with no interruption.
Our room, one of the suites, was clean and welcoming. Internet needs to be upgraded, can not access, very very slow.
A large "backyard" outside the large verandah, makes one feel like in your own house. Most of the suite rooms are less then 50 metres away from t he beach and pool.
Overall the F&B was of good quality and portion side, but on the high side in terms of pricing. Everything is in USD, therefore be ready for a hefty bill, if u dine in the resort.
Breakfast is nicely presented, with something for everyone.
We booked one night for the BBQ. on the beach, again a bit on the high side and seafood only available with the basic choice. Salads, soup, accompaniments and 5-6 BBQ-seafood-meat items cooked fresh.
The sports activities on the beach are a good buy, in line with prices in Thailand and other resorts in the region.
Recreation room could go with an A/C as per comments from the family.
Pool is great and big enough, set in a Mediterranean style design, with fountains and kids area adjacent.
Everyday has a good program for things to do.
Overall:
If you consider the remote environment, with food coming via Jakarta, a revised pricing structure might be something to look into.
Otherwise a nice break in a clean and well looked after environment, supported and served by very friendly and cheerful staff, who have always a smile on their faces.
I would be back, just for the pool:))

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Exec1965
Dear Exec1965,

Thank you for having chosen Angsana Bintan for your Father-in-laws birthday celebration. I am happy to note that we were able to deliver services up to your expectations.

The recreation room is designed to boast openness that allows sea breeze circulate nicely while you are enjoying your time inside. However your feedback about AC to go with the room has been well noted and looked into.

I have also noted your comment on our WiFi connection; please rest assured that a follow up is in place.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

Spacious room along quiet stretch of beach with clear water. SGD 5 for shuttle to market nearby. Food and drinks are overpriced in the hotel thou. Great place for a getaway near sg. Lower priced alternative for banyan tree as it is just right beside it sharing the same beach.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear jacseej,

Thank you for sharing your experience and for providing us this valuable feedback.

Your comments on our prices of food and beverage has been noted. We will be addressing with the concerned departments for follow up.

The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you back again to Angsana Bintan for yet, another week-end getaway.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Stayed for a night at Angsana Bintan & totally loved the experience.

We enjoyed the yoga workout at Banyan Tree, the restaurants with great ambience & the clean & clear beach!

It's such a relaxing stay. The room was great with all the necessary amenities & most of all the friendly staff at Angsana left the greatest inpression!

Will certainly wish to be back soon!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear Kimugoh,

I am delighted to learn that our friendliness has left the greatest impression on you, and more importantly we were able to deliver the true experience of Angsana Bintan.

It is lovely to hear how you also enjoyed the yoga workout at our sister hotel along with our restaurant and the pristine beach.

I would be happy to have you back again with us in the future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Did a 2 days 1 night stay recently at Angsana Bintan just to get away for the weekend to unwind. The private beach with white sand & clear water was so welcoming. Definitely a plus point for those who enjoy the sea.

The Angsana Spa is excellent and offered top notch service. Spa ambience is calming and definitely a must do when in Angsana.

Food is slightly on the pricey range but that's expected on Bintan Island. Will definitely go back to Angsana whenever a short break is required to de-stress!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle L
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Michelle L,

I am so happy to hear that we have were able to provide you with a memorable experience.

With a private beach white sandy beach sand and clear lagoon topped with a natural rainforest surrounding the resort, Angsana Bintan indeed makes a perfect short get-away from Singapore that can be reached within 45 minutes by a ferry ride.

Thank you for the generous comments on SPA and on our overall facilities and services. I look forward to welcome you back to Angsana Bintan in a near future.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is my first time to Bintan. Actually there are 3 ways to get to Bintan. From Batam, from Singapore, and from Tanjung Pinang. I chose the latest simply because it only took me one type of transport from the airport to the resort, which is by taxi. I didn't choose Batam because I heard I have to take taxi to the port, took a ferry, and another transport to the resort.
The resort is quite an exclusive area because you can't get in without any reservation. I checked in around 1 pm, but couldn't get into my room until almost 3 pm. But that's the only disappointing service, because the rest of the vacation I get great services.
I guess when you're being patient, you get the best, because I got a room with a great view to the pool and the ocean from 4th floor. The kids loved the pool and the beach. The beach has the softest sand almost like a baby powder. We got to see sea hatchling turtles where they let baby turtles finding their ways to the ocean. Many activities there, but I didn't get the chance to explore them.
Bintan is quite expensive for Indonesian because they use SGD and Angsana use USD. The breakfast at Lotus Cafe is good, but I don't expect to spend 4 mornings with the same menu everyday. :)
The transport is hard to find. They provide free shuttle bus to Kelong Restaurant at Nirwana Garden Resort which leaves at 6.30 pm and back at 8 pm and 10 pm. It is a 10 minutes ride. Kelong has great food, and is located over the beach. It would've been a great sight, but we couldn't see anything at 7 pm. Kelong uses SGD and Rupiah.
Angsana also provide a bus to Pasar Oleh-oleh, SGD 5 for adult and SGD 3 for child. The bus leaves at 12.30pm the soonest, but they have many schedules after that. If we miss the latest bus, we have to take a taxi back to the resort. It takes 15 minutes to get there from the hotel.
I didn't spend so much time exploring Pasar Oleh2 because it's kinda hot and the children gets 'cranky'. The place is smaller than I expected, but there are restaurants and minimarkets to buy drinks and snacks.I found a taxi there which I used everywhere I go, including to Ferry Terminal to go to Singapore, which is only 15 minutes from Angsana. The trip from Bintan to Singapore by ferry is 1 hour.
I also had seafood lunch the next day at Ciu Yong Seafood Restaurant, 1 hour drive from Angsana.
Overall, despite the price and the transport, we love it anyway.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dewi H
Dear Dewi H,

Thank you for sharing this Angsana experience.

The team and I are thankful to you for choosing to stay with us and we are pleased to know that you have had a comfortable stay.

I would like to highlight to you that as in almost all hotels, we have a check-in and a check-out time. In our case, it is 3pm check-in. The purpose of this is to allow our Housekeeping team to clean and refresh the rooms for the new arrivals after the guests check-out at 12:00 noon.

I am glad that at the end of the day you loved the room that we have assigned as well as the stunning view from its balcony.

I am happy to note that you were able to join our our sea turtle hatchlings release. It was the second release in 2014 and we intend to carry out more in the coming months.

The team and I are looking forward for your next visit.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great stay and professional staff and great location to area. Quite disappointed as we didn't get the suite near to beach although the reservation did mentioned that they will arrange accordingly but overall i did enjoyed my stay and will recommend to others. :) not forgetting the exotic spa as its great way to indulge and unwind ourselves.

Room Tip: 111 Angsana suite near to swimming pool