“Stunning but so expensive”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Angsana Bintan
Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Stunning but so expensive”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I stayed at this resort with my mum for a 3 day mini break from Singapore. The location is beautiful, with the beach very clean and the water very clear.

The resort is a little dated, but is still very clean and pretty. There is a fantastic pool and the resort activities are very good. You can hire jet skis, stand up paddle boards, canoes etc. I rented a paddle board for 1 hour for $12USD. The activities are not included in the accommodation cost like at other resorts I have been too.

There are a large selection of daily activities that change each day so there is always something new to do. These included traditional fishing, cooking class, jungle walks, to name a few.

The two restaurants had a wonderful selection of local and western dishes and room service was very prompt. The food sizes very quite large, but also quite expense for what they were.

I strongly advise stocking up on drinks and snacks before you reach the resort as a can of coke will set you back $6USD from the mini bar. A Bintan beer was $8USD

The stand out feature of this resort for me was the spa. I use a spa at every place I stay, and of all the Asian resorts I have been to, the Angsana Spa is in my top 10 best ever. The treatment options were fantastic as was the massage.

Overall the experience was a lovely relaxing one, but I'm not sure it justified the prices.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jazskimo
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear jazskimo,

I am happy to learn that our beautiful location with a stunning beach and clear water were able to provide you with a pleasant experience.

Being located in a secluded location with a tropical rainforest surrounded and a stunning private beach, our resort has a strong reputation as an island getaway that offers many exciting activities in a relaxed ambiance; I am glad that you had a good time trying out some of them.

I have taken note of your comments related to the prices. May I highlight to you that we do carry out regular surveys for the pricing of the competitive resorts in Bintan in order to be in line with the market price. Your feedback has been noted and we will be addressing it soon.

At the end of the day it is wonderful to know that it didn't defect your entire experience with us.
I look forward to welcoming you again to Angsana Bintan in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 22 August 2014

When I say it is worthy of repeat visits, I have put my money where my mouth is. Over the past 12 to 15 years, I have visited this wonderful resort countless times. Some visits are great while some are good but no trip has ever been bad. While I have over the years visited many of the nearby resorts in this enclave of Bintan, I find myself irresistibly drawn back to Angsana. Why?

The Great – The main reason this resort is so special is the service. Many hotels pride themselves on service but few get it so right. A lot of hotels provide good service but deliver it in a functional sometimes even clinical manner. You get what you need or even what you want but never feel truly touched by the experience. I have stayed at many top notch hotels which supposedly have a service culture and have experienced this type of detachment firsthand. Such a complaint can never be levelled against Angsana Bintan. Their service is genuine and warm. I get this from all their staff. Yes, I am fairly well-known there due to my repeated visits, but I receive the same warmth of emotional engagement even from staff who have never met me. This culture permeates through all levels of the staff, from the managers to the housekeeping crew and is what really keeps me coming back year on year.
The Spa is another reason I keep coming back. There are relatively cheaper spas on the island but I sincerely believe there is none better. Their Spa even compares very favourably against some of the top spas in the region, for example the Mandarin Oriental Bangkok. Again, the service is personal and warm. The quality of the treatments is consistently high. A good day there is simply magical but what makes them stand out is that even if you don’t get one of their very best therapists, the quality of the experience is still excellent.
Finally, another reason this resort is great in my opinion is the location. It is set on the same private and beautiful stretch of beach that their big sister Banyan Tree shares. Get the right rooms and the view is lovely. You can really melt away all your stress just lounging on the beach or at their pool.

The Good – Some have complained about the relative functionality of their rooms. I like the rooms. They are simple compared to five star resorts in cities like Singapore or Bangkok but the rooms are still clean and relatively well appointed. Over the past decade, I can attest to the efforts put into upgrading the amenities in the rooms and currently, while they are not really luxurious, they are certainly comfortable.
The quality of the food in their restaurants is also currently consistently high. The wife and I love the Nasi Goreng and some of the other dishes they serve. The consistency is taste across our various visits attests to the quality control processes they must surely have to ensure that the food served is always tasty. I

The ‘Could- Be –Better ‘– About the only thing I can knock them on is relative value. You do pay quite a lot and could probably get better objective value at a resort in Phuket for example. But for someone like me, the convenience of taking a 45 minute ferry ride trumps the flight to Thailand any day. Is it of lesser value than the other resorts on Bintan? Well that really depends on what you want from your beach vacation. If, great service and the ability to zone out within an idyllic and private setting is your cup of tea (as it is mine), then Angsana Bintan cannot be beat. If however you wish to have a greater variety of activities/amenities then perhaps some of the other nearby resorts may suit you. For me, I will probably be visiting Angsana Bintan many more times in the coming years.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sala23
Dear Sala23,

The team and are truly delighted to receive this wonderful review and are encouraged to continue our efforts in maintaining our customer satisfaction to the true Angsana standards.

I am very fond of my team and their warmth and genuineness as you have said, touches the hears of many of our guests. To top it, the unique natural settings around the resort where jungle meets the ocean, just 55 minutes from Singapore, offer a perfect island escapade from the bustling city.

Thank you very much for pointing out the goods and the greats. It is lovely to learn how our award-winning Spa had exceeded your expectations once again.

Your comment on the could-be-better has been well noted; I am glad that at the end of the day our idyllic location and private setting is your cup of tea.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require any assistance for your next stay. Meanwhile I look forward to having another opportunity to take care of you once again at Angsana Bintan.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Room was very clean and nice. The whole place was liven up by bright cheery colour. Check-in was easy, hotel has alot of interesting activities. Staff like Benny (Recreation Supevisor) and Taufik was very helpful. Even though only two of us signed up for the aquaaerobics, Benny carried on with the exercise and even offered us to go for bicycle trail into the village. Good ride.

The down side of the whole experience is that the Lotus cafe has no aircondition. The fans are to high up and were turning at low speed. I could not feel the wind. The rooms are not quite sound proof. You could hear the guests talking loudly, slamming the doors and dragging their luggages when checking out.

Overall I should say I am quite surprised to have an enjoyable stay in Bintan.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the sea; away from the main lobby. You could hear the noises made by guests che...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear LiketoTravel288,

I am delighted to hear that we were able to provide you with a memorable and a enjoyable stay for you here at Angsana Bintan.

Thank you for the gracious comments on Benny and Taufik; they are very happy for being able to exceed your expectations with their genuine service.

Your comment on Lotus Café surrounding has been well-noted for a necessary follow up.

Please do plan for another visit and let us take care of you with even more joyous experience.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We went to Bintan Island in Indonesia when we spent two night at the Angsana Bintan and stayed at a superior twin room. We went in July, the pool and beach are both very clean and the sport activites lots of fun. Also we had a enjoy about Angsana Spa!! I tried the Javanese massage and it was so wonderful!! We had a great time when we satayed at the Angsana Bintan last July. Thank you for your hospitality with all staff. We are coming back to stay at the Angsana Bintan in Indonesia.

Room Tip: Higher floors and Corner rooms are ocean vew room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Masumura S
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Masumura S,

I am truly delighted to hear that we were able to live up to the standard expected of us and were able to make your stay a memorable one.

We are a popular island retreat that offers more than 101 things to do in and around our resort including water sport activities. I am happy to know that you had taken time to enjoy them and had a lot of fun.

The Angsana Spa team was thrilled to note that you had a wonderful experience and that you enjoyed the Javanese massage.

Thank you for staying with us and I look forward to welcome you back.

Singapore
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This place is good for a short getaway. Tried the Spa package. Not too shabby. The service there wasnt too bad, though it might get abit slow at times. FO Manager has great service attitude! thumbs up

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mohamed H, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear traveller12100,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. I am pleased to know that we were able to provide you with a memorable experience.

I have shared your gracious mention of Front Office Manager with him and he and his team are very happy for the recognition.

Please do plan to visit us once again. The team and I are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We eat only Vegetarian food. Due to limited demand they don't have much to offer in Vegetarian food. We went in July, weather was much hotter than our expectation and Angsana does not offer in Air-Conditioned restaurant. Overall good experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Angsana.com

Dear ashismehta72,

I am pleased to learn that we had lived up to your expectations during your stay with us.
July is the mid-summer period in Indonesia, which makes it the best period to visit Angsana Bintan in particular. May I recommend the month of October and beyond for your next visit should you wish to enjoy much cooler weather?

I have noted your comment on vegetarian dishes; let me assure you that it has been passed on to our Executive Chef for necessary follow up.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to our resort in the near future.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We spent two nights at the Angsana with the kids (aged 9 and 6) and stayed at a family suite. The hotel is designated five stars, and it would be if they renovated the rooms, improved the breakfast buffet and just spruced up the whole place, which feels like its stuck in the 1980s. Most importantly, they charge you luxe prices, which harbour on the outrageous at times (eg USD 7 for a can of soda!). We were disappointed: the Angsana group is known for its quality properties, and this one has a five star rating, so yes, you do expect much better... BUT that said, the pool and beach are both very clean and the water sports/activities team lots of fun. The staff are also very pleasant and did their best to make the kids happy.The folk at reception and reservations were also very helpful. I don't think we'd be going back in a hurry, though. Wifi is also atrociously bad.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Miral F
Dear Miral F,

I am happy to hear that our pool and white sandy beach along with the water sports and other activities had made your stay a pleasant one.

I have taken note of your feedback on the need to improve the quality of our rooms and also to re-visit our prices. We do carry out regular competitive surveys and adjust our prices accordingly. This will be done again soon.

Another challenge of being located in a remote part of Indonesia is that the WiFi connection can sometimes be disrupted due to bad weather such as strong wind, lightning or heavy rain. Please accept my apologies as we had fallen short of your expectation in this area.

Thank you for having chosen to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you once again to Angsana Bintan.