“Nice hotel but definitely well overpriced”
Review of Angsana Bintan

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice hotel but definitely well overpriced”
Reviewed 13 December 2009

My wife booked a night at this place for us. Its our second time to Bintan on the prior trip we stayed at the somewhat run-down but well-priced and well-located Mayang Sari. Considering that Angsana was considerably pricier than Sari (where we also stayed a single night), we were expecting something significantly better. Certainly, the rooms and overall upkeep of this hotel was better than Sari and the service at each step was exceptional but still couldn't help feeling we were paying a bit too much.

Our room was spacious and comfortable but not spectacular and if you're a beach person (like me) then Sari's beach location is far superior as their villas open right on the sand and have great ocean views. Angsana in this sense has more of a pure hotel room as ours with its balcony overlooked the pool and the sea beyond. The grounds are reasonably pretty but I felt the room lacked character. It was neither plush nor rustic.

However, the activities at this place were great. My wife and I rode ATVs for the first time and our excellent guide (Ardi, ask for him) took us right into the jungle where we got to drive on beautiful and rugged trails that ranged from close-set jungles to open beaches. At one point we felt like we were in a video game! We also took the day and night tour of the mangrove river and both tours are also highly recommended. At night we dined at the excellent Saffron restaurant (see other review) at the sister Banyan Tree resort next door.

The staff was all smiles and embarrassingly helpful a real plus over Mayang Sari where it was certainly more of a mixed bag. My wife had arranged a nice birthday surprise for me and the staff fulfilled to a T. Not one unpleasant encounter. I would rate the staff 6 stars if I could.

All in all, we were satisfied but this place was a bit expensive. I suppose some of it is because it has a bit of a monopoly as a nearby and yet exotic getaway for anyone coming in from Singapore. Fair enough, but still. Would we come back? Yes, but likely for an equally short stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Joeylby
Reviewed 28 November 2009

If you have always wanted a perfect little escape from city life, Angsana Bintan will make all come true for you.

My boyfriend and I came back from a two day one night stay and we both enjoyed every moment of our short getaway on the island. Not to mention that we are already looking forward to our next visit with friends.

The service delivered by their staff is five stars and I must say I was really pleased with the arrangements made for my requests. I went ahead with the option of a high floor facing the sea view and was no doubt given the best room in the resort. The happy birthday bed dressing and the complimentary chocolate cake on the table before our arrival in the room came as a pleasant surprise. Apart from all, I also liked most of the little things offered on the basic level - the full bathroom with toiletries, the complimentary bottles of mineral water, the selection at the mini snack bar, the variety of food for in-room dining, and the starfish bean bag that was sneaked onto our bed when we were away of which will count as a dollar to the Green Imperative Fund.

Being a beach lover myself, I could have never missed visiting the beach. The Angsana shares an exclusive beach with its sister resort, The Banyan Tree, located right beside it. We stayed over the weekday and had the luxury of enjoying the entire beach to ourselves along with a few others who were seen playing with surfboards. Being the monsoon season, we have decided not to risk with the unpredictable currents so all we did was to take off our slippers, feel the sand on our toes before we dip our feet into the sea. There were slight traces of oil spill spotted on the sand but I guess that is okay with their efforts to try control the situation with the authorities together with their work to maintain the beach. The resort has got a rather beautiful swimming pool but I found it a little small and its various pool corners were frequently occupied. One thing I liked about the pool area is the idea of having meals by the sun decks.

We dined mostly at the Lotus Cafe which has pretty average tasting food at the prices of which you expect in the United States. However, I suggested improving the ambience of the cafe and choices for more authentic indonesian food. The buffet breakfast was quite a spread too but then again it tasted only average. We really loved the hot tea though. We later explored the brunch options we have at the Banyan Tree but we decided to give it a miss after our stomachs said no. Unfortunately, the view of the sea from the Treetops restaurant was not as breathtaking as described. It did not turn out like the ultimate beach paradise I have in mind but it was overall a great experience worthwhile. If you are in for something intimately special, you got to try destination dining.

The spa was exceptional above all. Our therapist were very professional in their strokes and were meticulous in my concern with the burning of aromatherapy incense. They took the effort to remember our names and were constantly making sure if the pressure applied on our back was good for us. It was such a relaxing experience our session seemed so much shorter than it really was. We will definitely head back for a longer treatment package in future. All in all, this is a great place if you want to relax by the pool or the beach, play golf or engage in outdoor adventure sports and retreat by the quiet night.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
BTGroup, Rooms Division Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 20 December 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greetings from Bintan Island!

First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing Angsana Bintan to spend your holidays and for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.

We were delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay and that you had a pleasant experience.

We also wish to thank you for your gracious comments about our overall services and facilities. These have been shared to all our team members and they were very pleased by your kind comments.

Valued guest, thank you once again for sharing your wonderful experiences with us and for recommending Angsana Bintan as a place for a relaxing holiday getaway. We look forward to your return visit and to have the privilege of being of service to you again in the near future.

With kind regards,

Alpha Eldiansyah (Mr.)
Helsingborg
Reviewed 21 November 2009

Coming from Singapore and Malaysia where we definetly got the value for our money this was a disappointment. More expensive than Singapore and the rooms where very low standard. The prices in the restaurant were also very high but they probably know you have no other choice. We planned a two day stay but cancelled the last night.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IdaHelsingborg
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 26 November 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review regarding your recent stay at Angsana Bintan.on Tripadvisor.com

I sincerely apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments on the concerns you raised for further actions of improvement.

In relation to the quality of our rooms, we would like to share with you that we are currently on the process of upgrading our rooms and facilities in order to serve you better in the future.

Once again, thank you for sharing your review and we hope to have another opportunity to welcome you to the resort again in the future.

Nopparat Aumpa (Ms.)
Singapore
Reviewed 2 November 2009

The room was a disappointment. Don't be fooled by the fact it is the sister hotel to the Banyan tree. Holes in the sheets and really uncomfortable cheap bed and bedding. The furniture was old and the decor was very "tired". The food and alcohol was very overpriced and all in US dollars. On the plus side the staff were efficient and the breakfast was good. The pool area was nice as was the spa.
I think you could get a lot more for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marni1973
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 4 November 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay in Angsana Bintan.

I have shared your feedback with our team members and we also wish to thank you for your kind comments about our associates, breakfast, pool and our spa.

On another note, please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointment you have experienced regarding the room condition and facilities. Allow me to share with you that we are currently in the process of upgrading our rooms, including the interior design and the facilities in order to serve you better in the future.

Your comments in relation to our food and beverage pricing have been brought to the attention of our Food & Beverage Director and Executive Chef for further discussion and consideration.

Thank you once again for posting your review, as it allows us to take the necessary actions to continually improve our products and facilities.

We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the future.

Nopparat Aumpa (Ms.)
Singapore
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Was there with hubby on a credit card promotion, wondered if this why we didn't get to enjoy the best service raved by my friend who was there earlier before us. We were there before 2pm but our room wasn't available until near to 4pm. We asked for a double room via email and also at the counter but we were given a twin room. Well, after a phone call to reception, this mistake was swiftly rectified by a staff combining the 2 beds into 1.

There was a Turtle Conservation area in the compound but all we could see is a dull neglected room with a few books thrown around and a outdated noticeboard next to the seasport activities counter. We were a little baffled as Angsana do charge every room US$1 for conservation fund and I was hoping to see more activities indicated by the showcase area. Anyway, the surroundings of the resort was very pretty, on par with Nirwana Resort but with a slightly more private (smaller) pool scene. It may be due to the capacity of Angsana being smaller and thus more exclusive. Even though it is thought to be designed as the more affordable option set next to its sister resort -- the luxurious Banyan Tree.

Speaking of Banyan Tree, we walked over to Treetops for lunch before we left for the ferry terminal and it was the highlight of the whole weekend stay! The uphill walk was a little tedious but the ocean view from the restaurant was definitely worthwhile. We could even imagine for a moment we were back in Maldives! ( well, not exactly, but still very nice sights)

Okay, back to Angsana's room. It was tastefully furnished and nothing to pick on. But teh breakfast we had had me picking on it every bite. Among my friends and family I am not known to be a fussy eater and I seldom can find flake in the taste unless they are really bad. Lotus Cafe maybe can improve the breakfast's pastries section and also dilute the super sweet syruped fruit drinks? I couldn't remember exactly what i've ate but i can only remember i didn't like it at all.

My husband also mentioned that Angsana compound has a very tired look, and was a little disturbed by the common metal "longkang" covers along the outside of the cafe, commenting how it spoilt the posh setting.

Overall, Angsana offered us an average weekend , satisfactory in most parts but if i am paying out of my purse for a night in Bintan, I will either go back to Nirwana Gardens or Bintan Lagoon ( for cheaper prices and night activities) or splurge on Banyan Tree villas!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank autumnjune729
BTGroup, Hotel Manager at Angsana Bintan, responded to this review, 27 October 2009
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on your stay at Angsana Bintan. Your comments will help us to improve our service, product and facilities.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused regarding the delay in your room allocation. Our standard check-in time is at 15.00hrs and this delay should not have happened. We have raised this matter with the department head concerned, so as to ensure that corrective actions are taken to prevent similar occurrences in future.

We are sorry to know that you were disappointed with the facilities available at the Conservation Area. We have communicated your comments to our Conservation Manager for improvements to be made. You may like to know that we provide various conservation activities for our guests such as Nature walk, Coral planting and coral reef safari, birds watching, tree planting, snorkeling and presentations about nature and wildlife surrounding our resort.

The US$1 reflected in your bill is for the Green Imperative Fund for which our guests can make contributions to under an “opt-out” arrangement for each night they spend at the hotel. This fund provides our guests with an opportunity to support our environmental protection and community help initiatives.

Our environmental protection projects include tree and coral planting, marine and nature research and sea turtle conservation. In terms of community projects, we support school renovation projects, provide free medication for the local community as well as scholarships for the local children. We have also provided support to victims of the recent West Sumatra Earthquake.

Your comments regarding the pastries selection and fruit juices have also been shared to our Executive Chef. Rest assured that for further action will be taken for improvement.

We were delighted to read your gracious comments about the resort surroundings, banyan tree view and our rooms. These have also been shared with members of our team.

We thank you once again for staying in Angsana Bintan and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again in the future.

Nopparat Aumpa (Ms)
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 20 October 2009

ive been to all the resorts in bintan,and angsana definitely wins my heart,the ambience, the beach (very nice),pool,water sports....and the magnificent scenes..all the staffs we encountered always have this personalize-service feeling..ronald from the lotus cafe even offered to give the recipe on my favorite sauce..you will see their manager ALPHA always walking around in all areas and makes sure that guests are enjoying themselves ...it felt really warm..just like home.. and we' re definitely coming back..im recommending this resort to families,couples and people who just want to get out of the city for a while

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kaetlyn_sg
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Our 3 families just returned from the Angsana in Bintan. 6 Adults and 4 kids. It was a stress-free trip for us. The Hotel Manager, Khun Kai was there to greet us on arrival and offered us options for dinner since we arrived pretty late.
We had dinner at Cove, in their other resort. The food was excellent and the service was divine. We had a sleepy kid and asked for an extra chair, the waiter right away connected and knew what it was for. He immediately joined 2 cushioned chairs together so our sleepy 4 years old could lay down and our dinner won't be interrupted. An 'angel' quietly came by when we adults were chatting away with a small blanket to cover our sleeping child. As parents, we were totally impressed with this level of thoughtfulness. The waiting staff were always nearby to ensure that each of the tables in the restaurants were comfortable and the food was right.
The pool was great and friendly for our children and the beach nearby was clean and safe. Our kids were happy to have daily organized activities by the Pool Team. We all had a great game of beach volley ball.

Our children are already asking when do we return to Angsana Bintan.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family