“Bintan Spa Villa”

Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Bintan Island
“Bintan Spa Villa”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I've been spending my birthday in this pleasant laid-back resort for the past 2 years now. It's a great getaway for those not too adventurous and wants to just relax. Nice for couples wanting some time alone. And especially for those guys who dreads all that shopping the women does.
I love the friendly staff at the resort and the one thing that must be done....fireworks. I enjoy the display and it's a nice way to celebrate. The bar area is cozy too if you're into crooning a few ballads. Food is pretty acceptable and it's good to know they have upgraded to buffet breakfast since i last visited in 2013.

Room Tip: Most rooms are ok as they are almost all sea-facing.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Edmund C, Manager at Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest

Firstly, thank you for choosing Bintan Spa Villa as the location for your birthday celebration, not just once but twice already! We are very glad that you enjoy the atmosphere and feel of the resort, and especially enjoy playing fireworks here. Thank you and we look forward to welcome you back again at Bintan Spa Villa

Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Brought my parents to Bintan spa villa to celebrate my mum's birthday. We all enjoyed the stay. We were allowed to conquer the whole jacuzzi pool and karaoke facilities as not much of people using on Sunday night. Food price was reasonable and big portion to feed us all well. My parents told me they loved it very much and would love to come back again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cynthia1123
Edmund C, Manager at Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Bintan Spa Villa as your holiday destination, especially for such a special occasion. We are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip, and that you strategically chose a quiet period for your holiday, where you were able to make the best use of the facilities. Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we are very happy to receive your compliments on the resort. Thank you once again for staying with us and we hope to see you and your parents again.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Made a getaway with 2 other friends. The bus ride to the resort was a little uncomfortable as it was a mini van and we had to squeeze with strangers for an hour's journey. We booked the Seaview Deluxe room though it seems that the occupants of the New Ocean Suite rooms had a better view of the sea. The room was kept simple but the only thing that got to us for our stay was the smell of the toilet which spread to the whole room as well as the toilet bowl which keeps clogging after every few flushes. However, the staffs were very nice in helping us to unclog the toilet and did their best to try to get rid of the stench of the toilet.

The food for breakfast is average but the lunch and dinner menu had many selections and was definitely worth the money. Dinner under the moonlight and the stars was amazing and you could also purchase mini fireworks from the shop.

The free activities there included a pool table, darts, jacuzzi and karaoke at night. My friends and i had a great time singing to our heart's content.

We paid for the mangrove and sunset tour which was very educational. Our tour guide (if i remember correctly, his name is Mirza) was very friendly and answered all the questions we had. We got to know more about the lifestyle of the villagers nearby, the mangroves, got to see the sunset at a very nice venue on the boat before heading back to the mangroves to see fireflies. Definitely worth the money.

The snorkelling package was average as we seemed to spend more time on the white sand beach as compared to doing proper snorkelling. There wasn't really much to do on the beach too. However, the people who brought us there were friendly so it was kind of a plus to it.

The ride back to the ferry terminal was a much nicer one as the 3 of us had a car to ourselves... however, as we were taking a morning ferry back, we were kind of rushed by the staffs to leave half an hour before the timing we were expected to leave.

Definitely a good place to relax. If you're lucky like us, you can make acquaintances with some of the other holiday goers there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cammi200
Dear Guest

We are very glad that overall, you have enjoyed your stay at Bintan Spa Villa - especially the quality of our F&B, the atmosphere and scenery, as well as the facilities. It is great to see that you tried out the sea activities at the resort, and it is great to see you found the Mangrove Tour an educational and insightful look into local life in Bintan. As for the snorkeling trip, guests are free to snorkel as long as they would like over the 2 hour duration, although many of us would probably find it quite tiring to snorkel for that entire period. Also, thank you for your pieces of feedback, we will look into the matters you have mentioned and strive to improve our standards.On behalf of Bintan Spa Villa Beach Resort staff & management, we would like to thank you for choosing us for your holiday destination and for writing this review. We also hope to see you again soon!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Before I go on to review the 'resort' I must compliment the staff on their helpful and courteous nature... They are the only positive thing one can draw from a visit to Bintan spa villa. We booked a 3 day break to Bintan spa villa resort based on the reviews we had read on trip advisor. We arrived at the Ferry Terminal and were picked up by a driver who spoke very little English in a vehicle with no air conditioning! We commenced the 1 hour transfer journey to the hotel trying to figure out where on the Bintan resort map we were. The resort is miles away from the 3 main parts on the map of Bintan described as the tourist area. We arrived at the spa at approximately 12.30 and were checked in and shown to our new ocean suite, this was an upgraded room, for which we paid extra money for the privilege of staying in. It was dated but on the surface seemed to be clean. We pulled our bags in and stepped out onto the sea facing balcony... The sea at this point appeared to be more of a muddy puddle, we kept applying the PMA attitude and continued to explore. The room was very hot, my husband asked me to put the air con on, we were both shocked that not only was it on, it was set at 16degrees. It was warmer inside than it was out, we switched on the very noisy ceiling fan to see if this had any effect and it didn't. It quickly became apparent there was not much for anybody to do there, never mind our 2 year old son. The bathroom smelt damp and dirty... The lighting wasn't great in there so I can't confirm it was dirty but it smelt it! The water is not Drinkable, you can only consume bottled water which I assumed must be a Bintan thing... I now know this not to be true as the tap water is fine in the hotel we have moved to. The Wi fi didn't work as we desperately tried to google things to do close by, my husband decided to go to the reception to see if there was a problem... We later found out the wi fi doesn't reach as far as the rooms even when the power is on, it is only available in the lobby. During this time a storm hit (not the hotels fault) and the power cut off. When my husband come back he said the staff had confirmed there was very little for us to do as a family but they did offer to provide transport to other parts of the island roughly an hour away. We decided to call Agoda to see what our cancellation policy was and they spoke to the hotel, they spoke to the hotel who said the only thing we could do was leave a day early. We decided to try and stick it out minus a day and headed over to the restaraunt whilst the storm played out. We ordered some drinks... I couldn't have my first cocktail as they had run out of Bacardi, not a particularly exotic ingredient but I guess they were in the middle of no where. I chose a Long Island ice tea instead, after waiting 15 minutes it arrived and it was awful. I can only assume they added the tiniest amount of mixer as if was just pure alcohol. The food was average at best but very expensive for that quality, I had a steak which I asked to be cooked medium, it arrived rare so I sent it back and it came back extremely well done. I'm not sure if this was down to a language barrier or lack of experience in the kitchen. Whilst I finished my dinner, my husband took our son to play on the beach in front of the restaurant... He later described it as being more like a car park at a car boot sale and my little boy cut his feet a couple of times on the stones! We asked what the options were for another beach, and were told you had to take a 10minute boat ride over to another island. It could only be done when the tide was in as the water around the hotel was extremely shallow! We also asked about the nearest shops as we needed baby wipes and bottles water, we were told this was a 10 minute drive and someone would take us as and when the vehicle was available, there was no guarantee on times for this though it was the luck of the draw! Once we had finished dinner we returned to the room, I looked at the jacuzzi on the way back as I considered taking my little boy in there to pass and hour... The water was so cloudy I could barely see the bottom, there was a film of grease over the top of the water and there were dead flies floating. The storm had finished about 30 minutes prior but the power was still off. We decided to have a snooze... Woke up an hour later, still no power, my husband went to reception and they said it was off and they had no idea when it would come back on. By this time we knew we had had enough and had decided to cut our losses and leave without a refund. The staff were still so helpful despite the fact we told them we were unhappy and wanted to leave, they helped my husband find alternative accommodation and even called them to ask questions for us. They also drove us over there at 6.30 that evening. Unless you want to return to beyond basics, I can not recommend a stay at Bintan spa villa to any body.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank LMCG59
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive and detailed piece of feedback. We greatly regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and that you did not find the standards up to your expectations. We apologize for the bad experience with the land transfer, the air-conditioning might have been faulty then, and we make sure it is maintained regularly. As with the power shortage, apologies that the main power was down for a period of time during your stay, however, our resort back up generator kicks in seconds after whenever there is a power trip, and guests should be able to enjoy electricity in the resort all the same. Also, thank you for your feedback regarded our f&b, particularly the bad experience with the steak and cocktail, we will direct this to the f&b department and ensure that standards are improved. Once again, we apologize that you and your family have had an unpleasant experience, and we appreciate the feedback given so that we can improve on our services.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Food is not bad. Though resort is small, it's good place to be back to basics and relax with family for 3D2N. Wifi is strong. Our young children enjoy the beach, playing darts and the jacuzzi. The only bad thing is we experience few times power failure and it had to run on standby electricity. This will cause our door cannot be locked with the card.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and provide your valuable feedback. We are glad that overall, you have enjoyed your stay with us, especially the relaxing atmosphere and the facilities. Apologies for the power shortage that occurred during your stay. Usually power outages are rare at the resort, and when they occur, an automatic switchover to our back up generator occurs within a few seconds. The problem with you door is a technical fault in the door lock, which has been since resolved. Once again, thank you for writing this review and for staying with us.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Being from a first country, and having traveled much out of Singapore, I have experienced much on hind sight the travel dangers and annoyances such as travel fatigue, touts and louts, poor hygiene and sanitation and higher crime rates, as well as the overall staying experiences in accommodation with different star ratings,

This being my first time doing first time solo traveling in a third country, I did some internet research on TripAdvisor and some careful travel planning.

Within a short-time frame (around 6 days) during the non-peak travel period (the weeks before the week of Good Friday on 18 Apr 2014), I decided to take a quick break out of the hectic way of life in Singapore, to experience snorkeling for the first time in Indonesia and to culturally sample the "more local Bintan" scene in Trikora, rather than in Lagoi.

Initially, I wanted to stay in either of the following options: the Bintan Cabana Beach Resort, the Bintan Agro Beach Resort and the Perempuan Padi Emas Resort, rather than Bintan Spa Villa.

After sending emails to the various accommodation providers, making phone calls to the Singapore tour operators and doing online geographical searches of Bintan Spa Villa (in relation to the travel time between White Sands Island and the resort), and the above mentioned resorts, reading comprehensive online travel reviews of those resorts, I decided on Bintan Spa Villa as the other accommodation providers didn't seem to respond to emails, and to minimise the cultural shock transition from residing in a first country into a third country, as Bintan Spa Villa had modern first world amenities (hot running water, air con rooms, first world style restaurants, and a local Bintan scene.

Moreover, I thought that the 1 hr drive from Bandar Seri Bentan to Bintan Spa Villa inside Teluk Bakau village district in Trikora would be manageable. As it turned out, it was barely manageable due to the long, winding and bumpy roads.

To cut a long story short, I have listed the pros and cons of staying in Bintan Spa Villa as shown below in order to give a balance comprehensive travel review.

The pros in point forms are as follows:

(1) The relaxed natural ambience (with White Sands Island and the South China Sea in front of the resort),

(2) The good food quality of some of the ala carte food items such as the Trikora Fried Rice and the Fish Curry,

(3) The less commercial, less touristy and more local Bintan cultural feel of the Teluk Bakau (Teluk Bakau village settings whereby the villagers would say "Hello" - just be aware of higher crime rates such as possible traveler scams and robberies/murders, also be careful of mad dogs that might carry rabies, by avoiding direct confrontation with them, according to this weblink: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/rabies.html), and the good visibility of the snorkeling sites (albeit choppy waves, as they faced the strong undercurrents of the South China Sea made worse by rainy and stormy weather in the vicinity) off White Sands Island.

The cons are as follows in bullet points:

(1) The resort pickup driver couldn't speak simple English, which is important for travelers moving around inside non-English speaking countries given travel health and safety considerations for travelers. There was no replacement driver. Due to the bumpy and winding highway of the Bintan hintherland as well as the long travel times, driving travel fatigue could easily set in. There could have been a 10 min break at the side of the road every 30 mins with the possibility of a toilet stop.

(2) The resort pickup driver compromised on driving safety. He adopted a fast paced and reckless driving style leading to near accidents (In the Trikora area on the way from Bandar Seri Bentan Ferry Terminal, to the travel resort with other Chinese national travelers, the driver inside the car almost lost control of his driving, and it almost crashed into the bridge railing over the estuary leading into the South China Sea. I was praying that either the driver come to his senses or I get into heaven should I pass away during the accident),

(3) The poor overall upkeep of one of the deluxe wing rooms (The toilet bowl was leaking dirty water and the fridge was leaking melted ice water even though it was functioning. I managed to get another complimentary deluxe room when the resort staff asked me if I wanted to change rooms. I was also not happy with that aspect of the stay.),

(4) The tap water was unfit for drinking and boiling, which meant that the overall potable water and underground water system of Trikora was not up to first world standards. Do note that Teluk Bakau village still has a third world way of life that means a poor overall drinking water standard and non-flushing toilet systems.

(5) The Bintan Spa Villa Pte Ltd tour operator in Singapore didn't have correct travel information for the travelers out of Singapore (The timing of the low tides as given by that operator was in the afternoon, when I have discovered on hindsight that the low tide comprises of morning and early afternoon. Moreover, there was no inter-shuttle pickup between Bintan Spa Villa, and it's sister resorts of Bintan Cabana Beach Resort and Bintan Agro Beach Resort.)

(6) One needed to be aware of possible dangers even when engaging in sea-sports such as incoming high tide in the Trikora Beach area in the late afternoon with it's choppy undersea currents, venomous marine sea creatures such as sea urchins and anemones in the seas off Trikora Beach, and also sinking sand/mud in the Trikora Beach shoreline (consisting of mangrove areas).

(7) Some of the resort staff didn't seem honest and interested in serving the hotel guests (maybe, it was due to they having to make ends meet given the possible hidden envy by the local Indonesians towards non-Indonesian tourists coming from rich socio-economic statuses, not being culturally exposed to non-Indonesian culture due to the remoteness of Trikora and not having non-Indonesian satellite television in the Trikora villages or it was due to the lack of corporate social responsibilities of the Singaporean CEO of the resort) despite this being a four star accommodation in a third country.

Even in a four star accommodation such as Spa Villa, I had to reject offers from one of the Bintan Spa Villa tour concierges who claimed that he could take me to Bukit Timah inside Bintan (possible tourist kidnappings). When I "googled map" Bukit Timah in Bintan, there was no such area on Bintan, and Bukit Timah was one of the only areas in Sumatra Island: (https://www.google.com.sg/maps/place/Bukit+Timah/@1.6311075,101.4095989,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x31d3a63d0a6251bf:0xf1381786a9d36f41), which is opposite the Peninsular Malaysia, with Singapore being south of Peninsular Malaysia.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Warren L
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing this extremely detailed and extensive review and feedback, we appreciate the effort put into this. Firstly, we are glad that you enjoyed the atmosphere and scenery of the resort, and that you appreciated the laid back and non-commercialized feel. As with the land transfer experience, we regret that most of the drivers across Bintan resorts have little English speaking ability. However, the speeding you experienced is another matter, and we will very seriously look into this issue and ensure that it does not occur again. Apologies for the the room faults that you have experienced, we have since fixed them, and will make more efforts to ensure all rooms are always well maintained. Also, we regret that you felt like you were given the wrong tidal information. As the tide timing changes slightly from day to day, the information that was given to you 4 days before your stay ceased to be accurate when you were there, and would have shifted slightly. Also, we are concerned with the offer you received out of the resort. Our staff at the resort would not have given any such offer, and it might have been from an external party. No matter, it is good that you rejected the offer. Once again, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this review

Reviewed 9 April 2014

There is a great view of the sea and the spa was very relaxing. The bed was great to sleep in and facilities clean. The breakfast wasn't much, but the lunch and dinner menu choices were good. Would go back there again for an overnight spa package.

Room Tip: Take the ocean villa, it's worth the money.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarryChia
Dear Guest

It is great to hear that you have had a relaxing holiday with us, with the spa, scenery and rooms contributing to this. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, and for your compliments on our resort. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back at Bintan Spa Villa.