“Amazing Service With Great Optional Activities”

Bintan Agro Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Bintan Island
Singapore, Singapore
“Amazing Service With Great Optional Activities”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

I stayed for 5 days in the resort during the Idul Fitri holidays. The resort was quite packed and there were locals playing with fireworks, which seems to be the trend as I noticed vendors selling tiny fireworks/crackers on the street of the city on the day I arrived.

Service was excellent despite the crowd, I have to commend Pak Ali the main cook of Sun Moon restaurant where I had most of my meals. Its a pity I went alone, because there's only so much the stomach can take in 1 meal, but I just love everything in Sun Moon.

And then I also went on several optional tours such as the Mapur Island Tour and visited a temple with 500 lohan statues, very amazing place. Mapur Island tour was especially exciting, I never thought I could see waters like Maldives so near Singapore.

The sister resort Cabana also has a nice beach and a newly opened beach bar. That's where I hang out too. Other than that, some visits to the spa for foot reflexiology and back massage was always relaxing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank AyatoKamina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 22 October 2010

We booked this hotel after doing a lot of research online, they were just the ones to promptly reply to our queries. We were not too sure about it, but were ready to take the risk as it was just a night's stay.
But when we reached I must say we were impressed. The place is SO beautiful that the resort need not make a huge effort to please the guests.
We stayed in the Timber house and the view was just AWESOME. The pool was clean and nice though the shower rooms were not satisfactory. It was a TASK to communicate with the staff as they knew little English. The food was also a problem for me as I am a vegetarian. The only option was the Pizza and it was good.
The Sun Moon restaurant is beautiful.
Next morning, we got up early to see sunrise and were surprised to see the low tide. The water had receded for few kms and it was a surprising view. There were lot of baby crabs. Don't miss the sunrise if you are staying here.
Later we hired a cycle for 30 mins, The price was little steep and though there were hardly any guests, the staff promptly came and reminded us 5 mins before the 30 mins time which I found little annoying.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Sg
Reviewed 21 September 2010

Wanted a short trip over the weekend and the agent recommended Bintan Agro Beach Resort. Wasn't too pleased with the reviews on TA but went ahead for a full board trip. Well, reviews are subjective isn't it?
Glad I went ahead though I only manage to secure a night stay in the Blue Ocean room. It is worth paying for. I had the corner room with sitting area outside the room, facing the sea. Was really relaxing, munching chips, drinking an ice cold beer and reading my magazine.
Why I said it was a good deal? Was pretty impressed with the 3 dishes + 1 soup meals. Food served is remarkable & varies every meal.
The outdoor Karaoke is something different and to be avoided if you are shy because your voice can be heard at the other end of the resort. It was fun as there happened to be a sporting group that danced and sang. we brought our own wine and drank as we joined in the fun.
Oceanic Spa is not to be missed. We had a couple room facing the sea - that is if you bother even with your head facing the floor during the whole massage! They have outdoor massage on the beach too.
Nothing fancy about the swimming pool, can give it a miss.
There is a mini zoo with monkeys and rabbits.
Staffs are polite & accomodating.
What I dreaded most was the journey to and fro. The ride would have been more pleasant if the vehicle used for transport can be improved. I almost threw out on my way there. I made sure I take a light lunch before I board the van for home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 15 August 2010

The ferry from Singapore was at 9AM from the Tanah Merah Ferry terminal. It reached Bintan ferry terminal at 9am(local time) and there was a pick up from Agro beach resort. We had chosen an itenary which included a city tour before heading to the resort. The main town of Bintan is around 1-1.5 hours away from the ferry terminal. The roads are winding with greenery all around. The almost zero traffic on the road was also a plus!!!

Our first stop was the Buddha temple which was supposed to be the biggest on the island. The huge golden buddha is awe inspiring along with various other statues on the side. The stone work all around the temple is magnificient.

From there we headed out for lunch which as a typical Indonesian fare with lots of seafood and chicken. There was a dish of boiled shellfish, where the meat had to be pulled out of the shell. It was supposed to a local delicacy.The next stop was the Ramayana Mall where we indulged in a little bit of shopping.

We then headed out to the resort which was again another 1 hour journey.
The check-in was fairly simple and easy and we were taken in a kind of tuk-tuk to our room. The room was an individual unit made of wood and facing the sea.
It was really beautiful and it felt like you had the entire sea to yourself!! The room was neat and so was the bathroom. There was no earthing in the room and I got a feeble shock when trying to charge my phone.

The main attractions at the resort are the water games. After resting for a while we headed out to try these games. A cloudy sky and timely drizzle added to our fun. At night we had a moonlight dinner(at the Sun Moon Restaurant) in the open by the sea, though the food was nothing great to speak off.

The next day, the low tide in the morning was almost a shock. The entire seabed was visible for a considerable distance. But the sea regained its composure within an hour or two. We had breakfast with decent varities . There is a mini zoo(which is quite sad) and gift shop at the resort. The collection of local indonesian artifacts at the gift shop is good and we ended up buying some of them. The day was mainly spent roaming around the resort and relaxing. After a heavy lunch,at another restaurant within the resort which was really good, we spent some time relaxing by the sea. The return trip to the ferry terminal of an hour was again spent looking at the greenery and long winding roads ahead.

On the whole the trip was fun. It is true that there is nothing much to do in Bintan other than relaxing within the resort. The main towns are all quite far from the resorts. Its also good to carry some Indonesian Rupiah as eventhough they accept the Singapore dollar the conversion rate works out to be a disadvantage for us.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 August 2010

me and 6 of my friends were in this resort for the last weekend of July 2010. the place was ok, very cozy, even the rooms we stayed in are awesome, can't complain. the reception were equally nice, food as expected is typically spicy indonesian. overall it was ok. but the bad thing is that, we tried the sea sports package that makes u ride a minimum of 4 sea sports. from the very first sea sports which in our case was the banana boat, up until the 4th one, we felt like we were literally going to die in the middle of the ocean. it was more frightening than exciting and fun, which we were expecting for a weekend getaway. and the worst thing is that, the sea sports operators that run the boats are not even english speakers but regardless, from the expressions on each of our faces, even the ignorant of persons can tell WE WANT THE STUPID THING TO STOP ALREADY COZ WE DON'T WANNA DIE IN THAT OCEAN!

i hope the management somehow would be able to read this and do something about it before it gets worst. you can stay in the hotel and enjoy the scenery but be very careful in choosing the sea sport u want to go for an adventure.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Quite a nice place to stay at in Bintan away from the usual crowds at the other side of Bintan where all the popular resorts like Bintan Lagoon Resorts/Nirwana etc are. There are only a few families/groups of people there when my family was there so it was really peaceful and quiet. Staff were very friendly, everyone smiled and greeted you be it the front desk/room services pple/even the sweeper etc. No problems like power tripping though the shower temperature fluctuated between boiling hot and freezing cold quite badly. Beach was not the clear blue kind but you can take the boat out to White Sands beach or Mapur Island for snorkeling or just for a swim. Sun Moon restaurant which served seafood and chinese cuisine was really good and cheap. We stayed at the honeymoon suite which faces the sea so the view was really nice.

• Stayed July 2010
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 19 July 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Resort for actually 10 nights - I guess this was very unusual for Agro Beach and other Bintan Resorts. At first we wanted to stay at Yasin Bungalows but when we arrived we decided that the backpacking days were definatly over. It was no problem to move to Agro Beach Resort cause its a sister resort. Everybody was absolutly lovely. We enjoyed our stay so much. Agro Beach resort has not really a beautiful beach but as it is no problem to get transfers to Cabana Beach Resort or go on snorkeling tours to Marpur Island or use the pool we had enough possibiliies to enjoy a swim. The food is good. We loved the Fried Rice and Thuna Sandwiches as well as the Thai Fish Filet. The staff is absolutly loveable ;). The only disappointment was the *Fish restaurant* We didn't go there a second time. The service was lousy. At Agro Beach Resort you can enjoy a lot of water fun activities. Karaoke in the evening had many fans ;)
it seems also to be a good place for kitesurfing!
We absolutly recommend this place because you get a lot for a cool price ;))

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple