“EVERYTHING IS SUPERB!”

Ranked #79 of 102 Hotels in Makassar
Jakarta
“EVERYTHING IS SUPERB!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

It's a great hotel that you'll find in Makassar. The best hotel i have ever stayed at in more than 25 years - i think. I had great welcoming & comfortable experience during my stay for business. The food is great (please remind this: their food are really great, good taste!).

The staff was beyond helpful, very nice & super friendly. The rooms are very comfortable. Try to get a room on the top floors for a nice view! Everything is superb!

The only negative is for the business room - meeting room. It was very noisy, we can hear everybody talk outside and so much disturbing sounds, and they did not prepare enough for earth leakage circuit breaker (ELCB). We asked the staff first about that thing, then they will prepare for our room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Danica J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bogor
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Long check in process, blur standard on company check-in. I was rejected at first because of the misunderstanding between the receptionist and the company that booked my room. I was finally able to check in after paid Rp 1,000,000 (which I should not because everything was already paid). Terrible first impression.

On the following day, they clarified the issue and said that it was their mistake.

Breakfast menu was nice but they allow people to SMOKE in the breakfast hall. Very disturbing.

Room is not healthy, particularly Room 509.

Poor location for backpacker like me, no walking distance food center or mall (there is Ramayana with Pizza Hut and also KFC, but its not safe to walk on the night - I tried it myself and the locals on the Pettarani street are not very friendly).

Despite the very cheap price they offered (Rp 1,400,000 for 3 rooms on long weekend per night) I thought Clarion would have a better service than its budget group, Celino. I won't come back. I still prefer Celino for its location and service.

Room Tip: superior and deluxe with balcony are pretty much the same. esp when you got balcony facing the outdo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I stayed in the suite for 2 days during our honeymoon in Dec 2009. Yes it is quite an outdated review.
Service is great. Room is very clean. Everyday the cleaner will change the sheets and clean the room.
Value: maybe it is better if it is a bit cheaper :P
Location is quite near to Diamond Mall at Panakukang Mas, but it is not walking distance, you must take a taxi.
Restaurant is very good. I forget what foods were there during buffet breakfast but I got the impression that the foods really stimulated my appetite :P

The thing I didn't like is that: after midnight, I can smell cigarettes smoke from the aircon at the living room part of the suite. Seems the aircon is connected to outside/next room of which there are ppl smoking there.

In the end, I didn't manage to try the bathtub coz we were spending out time almost outside except at night.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fauzimh
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

when I got there at three in the morning. I had booked a superior room, but they do not prepare all superior rooms and superior rooms are already sold out. and finally they upgrade my room becomes a junior suite

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 February 2014

The staff here really are quite lovely, and I only wish I could speak Bahasa Indonesia as English is not to be expected. Nevertheless, the staff tried hard. The internet here is really where this falls short. I was at a conference at the nearby Millenium had steady and strong internet. Almost every night the internet failed, and while the IT staff was kind and tried, the excuses for the internet were a bit much. I hope that the management considers upgrading its ISP package for business users. The food also leaves much to the imagination and I had to order Pizza hut delivery several nights, but having fresh coconut and an excellent ladies-only pool and hot tub certainly makes up for it! If they just updated the carpet and put some fresh pain they'd have a great shot at being one of the best.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Makassar, Indonesia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here 4 nights. Hotel was typical big style business hotel, nothing fancy. Room was nice and big and everything worked fine, shower was nice and hot. It could use some new paint, but not a big deal. After playing around w/ the TV found out that BBC, CNN and Aljazzera were available - which was nice. Food in hotel was so so. Breakfast was plentiful. They need to work on their warmers for their trays though -the food is cool. I ended up w/ Montezuma revenge in Makassar - no saying where it came from, but their warming trays definitely do not meet public health standards for keeping food at the right temperature (e.g. the hash browns were dried out and cold as were the omelets). Coffee was not so good either. A big downside of this hotel is the public spaces are all smoking areas - the "cafe" on the first floor has no smoke free area - yuck! Internet was so-so. One day had real issues - but they sent guys up to my room to work on it, so responsive. The other downside is the price quoted to me on walk in w/ a special of 3 nights @ 1.3 IDR, plus another night @ 600,000 IDR for one additional night was not honored. The night before I checked out they a) thought I was checking out that night and came to my room and then b) charged me 675,000 (after they started w/ saying it would be 900,000) for the extra night. No big deal, but they should have honored the price quoted at check-in that my Indonesian colleague was there to witness and was laid out on my check-in payment paperwork. A bit of "bate and switch". Asked for a taxi to the mall, and they provided a house taxi - cost 30,000, when a regular taxi was 15,000, again no big deal - but if you want to save $, ask for a local taxi. I'd stay here again w/ the special rate, but probably wouldn't pay full price. Overall a good place, good location.

Room Tip: Avoid the smoking area in restaurants and public places and ask them to create smoke free areas in t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I stayed at the Clarion Hotel Makassar last October and that was my 2nd visit. My 1st visit was okay and i had no complaint. This time, they gave me the room in a different section of the building and had to take the elevator near the end of the hallway. The room was clean but i found it much smaller than the one I stayed before.
When I checked out, i politely asked for the credit card stub that they did for the guarantee which i needed for proof just in case i had problems with the issuer bank. Somehow, the lady who assisted me was suddenly tore the credit card stub and with no reason gave me the torn and crumpled paper. I was stunned and asked her why she did that.
She said again and again that they just had the card for deposit. I repeatedly told her that I understood and still needed the stub to be returned to me. (I have travelled and stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and also had terrible experience with hotels deposits with credit card issuing bank afterwards).
She then was staring at me without saying any word and left me.
I wonder why she had to do that and asked her colleague who was standing next to her and seen all of the drama while assisting other customer. I even asked her colleague if I did say anything offended.

This is supposed to be the best hotel in Makassar or at least I was told. But I think i won't stay here anymore.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business