“spacious old room”

Horison Ultima Makassar Hotel
Ranked #33 of 103 Hotels in Makassar
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed only for a day. the room was spacious and clean, too bad i couldn't get the single room and have to stay in twin room. Just a minor flaw, i had to check out early to catch my flight and i asked the front office lady to arrange take away breakfast; sandwich, but they only give me some light bread :(

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights, in July 2013. This hotel is located in the center of Makassar city, so near to the house of government. Only 15 mins walking to Rotterdam Fort/ Losari Beach. Room & its bathroom are so spacious, old look, and clean. Just lil bit cons to the TV they put for superior room, they still put the old-big TV 24 inch, even they install so much channels there. They also still use wifi cable and its connection is unfortunately slow. The fact that I had to stay here while some areas were being renovated & created a noise + odor was actually lil bit annoying. But overall, the rate of this hotel is average.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The hotel is being renovated, and the room I stayed in is very new, clean and nice, without any unpleasant odor commonly associated with new rooms. The downside is that the renovation is still not completed, the swimming pool is not ready yet, and you can hear the sound of tradesmen at work. Luckily I was not at the hotel for most of the days (and evenings).

Only one lift is operating, with another is still out of order. I was not inconvenienced in any way during my stay, but I was just wondering what would happen if this one and only lift went out of order.

The location is right in the middle of the city, a 2-minute walk to the official residence of the South Sulawesi Governor, and right across a major sporting field.

Breakfast is OK, no pleasant nor nasty surprise here. Check-in and check-out were efficiently handled by the courteous staff.

The lounge area is filled with uncomfortable seats, with no backrest. I think this is the only annoying thing with this hotel. I can't understand why a hotel that is good with everything else could deliberately decide to inconvenience guests waiting at the lounge.

Things should be better when the renovation is completed, probably in a month or two. Hopefully the price remains the same at that time.

Room Tip: At the moment, avoid room facing the being-renovated swimming pool. It's noisy with the tradesme...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I booked Horison Makassar for 3 night stays from my regular travel agent, for me, my wife and 3-year old son. We arrived there at 11 am after 2 hour flight from Jakarta. The hotel is in progress of a renovation, but someone informed me about this, so no surprise there. The check in was swift and we were provided with a new room on rear wing (apparently new wing).
The room was looked new with relatively standard furniture. No problem there, since we were not expecting anything fancy. The bathroom, however, despite being new, still a little bit under my expectation. The wash basin for an instance, has mold. Anyway, not a major problem. So we went for lunch and return at the afternoon to have a nap. Guess what? The room was hot. I guessed it was around 28 deg C. The air cond could not provide enough cooling to keep temperature in our room bearable. I called the technician to do something, but he could not solve the problem since the problem (I thought) was in the cooling system. (The temperature difference between rear wing corridor and the main wing was so evidence) So, forget about the nap! It was night that the temperature was bearable.
The next morning, I asked to change room to the main wing. The receptionist said that we have to wait until noon because no room in the main wing is ready. Just prepared my stuffs, they will transfer to a new room when available. Well enough, so we left to enjoy Makassar. In the afternoon, we return to the hotel but the new room was not ready. They said that the previous visitor had just checked out and they were preparing the room. Ok, we can wait, no worries. In about 10 minutes, the room was ready for us. Guess what.... It was right next to the renovation site!!! So, from one terribly hot room, we were given a really noisy one. I still cannot decide which one worst. There no way I would stay to that room, so I asked for a new one. After about half hour later, we were given a new but significantly smaller room. Okay, I rather small one than hot or noisy one. So there we stayed until check out on the next two days.
Apart from the room saga, I would say it is an average hotel. Located at the main street, but no near by good restaurants. You will need a cab to go anywhere from here. The breakfast is fairly average. They change the menu everyday and tasted well. Due to limited parking lot, they even provide valet parking service with no charge. Oh and the pool is out of service for renovation.
Overall, I have stayed in a better hotel nearby with the same range value. Will probably not going to return to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I staed here for 4 nights.. I got the deluxe room in 7th floor..
The room was spacious... Has a big window with city view...
Old hotel,has old television.. When other 2-3 star hotel has flat LED tv nowdays, they still used old kinds television so so weird
I got more dissapointed when I found out the bathroom has no hairdryer and when I want to put my value things, I found there was no safety box in the room..
Thebreakfast was standard in variety or taste....

Overall there is nothing special unless the location is on the main street of the city..near to mall, restaurants and city landscape the monumen mandala

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 July 2013

For the price point, this is a good hotel, with accommodating staff, comfortable rooms (my current room is clean, all amenities work, shower is powerful and hot) and ideal location. Breakfast buffet had elements of western and Asian, which is good.

Bad points: smoking is still allowed in the restaurant. It is not the 1970s and "non-smoking tables" are not acceptable - smoke travels! The association between smoking and cancer is well established, and smoke makes it hard to enjoy food. Management must correct this.

Wifi: there is none, cable Internet in rooms only. This is absurd in this day and age - many travellers use tablet devices that cannot handle an Ethernet plug.

My overall view of this place is positive, but the above points mean that I will not return until they are corrected.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I had a comfortable stay at this hotel, but it was very noisy due to renovations that were taking place. The rooms are run-down, old, as well as the furniture, bedding and it needs a total make-over. The hotel was also very busy with lots of guests visiting.
I enjoyed the location of the hotel, as it is a walking distance from some of the malls and restaurants in the area. Otherwise, you need to take a taxi to get to the tourist attractions and to see the rest of the city. The 4star rating is way over-rated!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the east end of the floors have a good view of the surrounding area
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo